Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#469076 - 07/01/01 01:02 AM Re: Kevin Smith
Matt_Fabb Offline

Loc: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Quote:
It does'nt make sense that they should don't promote kevin to an out side market,dc is doing that a little[very little]marvel totally wasted an opportunity with daredevil to advertise to a wider audience,although if joe were in charge then he may have tried to milk it more outside the comicbook shops.in a year kevin smith will move on and comics will have missed a good shot at outside marketing,cause as much as he loves comics[you can tell he does]he can reach a bigger audience with his day job.kevins overhyped to the people who already know he's in comics,why not go outside,i don't get how people would argue against that.oh well.

Completely agree with you here. Both DC and Marvel should had promoted it outside the normal comic book market. Actually, come to think of it, why don't comic companies do more outside advertising to being with? I'm not sure how much some of the average super-hero comics would do, but I could see Vertigo and other "alternative" comics getting a boast by some ads in non-comic related magazines.
Also a sidenote, when there was a rumor that Kevin Smith's Green Arrow series was headed the silver screen, a lot of the movie new sources reported on it mentioning Smith's success with the first issue Green Arrow. So Smith is bringing in a bit of outside press. Also as mentioned before I'm sure the comics he's done so far will also get some attention when he's promoting his next film.
Also about Kevin Smith moving on... I doubt he's going to be leaving the comic medium any time soon. While it will probably always come second to his filming career, I think he will continue doing a series every now and again. Rumors are already circulating on what his next comic project will be.

Quote:
Well, an "unedited" version of a movie would have the same scene 20 times, and would probably take all day to watch if you could stand it! However, there is now the deluxe DVD set, which includes 100 minutes of deleted scenes

The past couple of Kevin Smith's movies have started off as 3 hours long before getting edited down to around the 2 hour mark. Of course the way the DVD market is these days any cut footage gets saved to be put out on the DVD. As mentioned the deleted scenes can only be seen separately and not watched together in the film. However, a few people do get to see Kevin Smith's extended films as he usually screens the film as it's being edited down, which is partly used to help him decide which scenes need to be cut.

#469077 - 07/01/01 04:41 AM Re: Kevin Smith
krackkomik Offline

Loc: Austin, TX. USA
I like witty-banter, so I like em' both.
ennis-preacher ruled-tangled web is ok too--his hellblazers ruled-punisher really punishes and ennis kills all the right people.
smith-daredevil was good, but killed a couple people I like, chasing dogma is ok, enjoying green arrow, hope he doesn't kill anyone.

------------------
movie picks: a man called hero-momento-the third man-Unbreakable-bullit.
I BELIEVE COMIC BOOK HEROES WALK THE EARTH

#469078 - 07/01/01 04:31 PM Re: Kevin Smith
iusetobekb Offline

Loc: hawaii
thanks matt,everyone takes everything i write as hostile,but i don't get why they complain about a shrinking audience but never reach out of the direct market,kevin smith good for that,he's got alot of famous friends who could give qoutes on the work like reviewers do his movies.alot of little girls might pick up a smith book if ben affleck endorses them.not a testament to the writing but market him anyway.

#469079 - 07/01/01 06:15 PM Re: Kevin Smith
wcrupe Offline

Loc: Gaithersburg, MD, Good Ol' USA
Quote:
Originally posted by NatGertler:
Well, an "unedited" version of a movie would have the same scene 20 times, and would probably take all day to watch if you could stand it! However, there is now the deluxe DVD set, which includes 100 minutes of deleted scenes (think about that -- it's a whole additional movie's worth of footage!)

Sorry, I meant edited as in "edited for length." But 100 more minutes? [img]/resources/ubb/eek.gif[/img]

I didn't realize it was supposed to be a miniseries [img]/resources/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

I know at least one scene was taken out of the theatrical version for VHS. I didn't see anything added, though.

Bill

Bill Crupe

#469080 - 07/01/01 06:52 PM Re: Kevin Smith
S.D. Moose Offline

Loc: Carmi, IL, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by iusetobekb:
thanks matt,everyone takes everything i write as hostile,but i don't get why they complain about a shrinking audience but never reach out of the direct market,kevin smith good for that,he's got alot of famous friends who could give qoutes on the work like reviewers do his movies.alot of little girls might pick up a smith book if ben affleck endorses them.not a testament to the writing but market him anyway.

I believe Smith's comic work has recieved coverage in Entertainment Weekly (though in conjunction with the release of Dogma or about that time.) The comics companies have no doubt send press releases to major outlets when Smith and creators of Buffy and Babylon 5 work for them, but then it was in the hands of those outlets who may or may not use the info. As for advertising "big name from outside comics" is writing (title), not only is the cost of advertising in relation to the return a concern but what of "longtime comic book writer" who has never been given this amount of attention by the publisher. They have to be kept happy as well. I'm sure some readers of Neil Gaiman's outside work have gotten into comics because of him as have readers of Peter David's outside material. No doubt their comics work also led to the press releases that went out for Smith but due to whatever reason, the story was only found in Comics related media and those outside the "club" found out from fellow fans who knew. Word of mouth is king.

http://www.digitalwebbing.net/comics/

#469081 - 07/01/01 08:21 PM Re: Kevin Smith
iusetobekb Offline

agreed,word of mouth is king,for but only if the base is large enough and vocal enough,which most comic readers are not.a blurb in et weekly was not brought about by marvel or dc.A full page ad could'nt hurt.a time warner corporation like Dc could get all kinds of help to derail costs.marvel had a sucessful movie and cartoon spinoffs ,but most watchers don't know if the comics exsist.

#469082 - 07/02/01 04:09 PM Re: Kevin Smith
S.D. Moose Offline

Loc: Carmi, IL, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by iusetobekb:
agreed,word of mouth is king,for but only if the base is large enough and vocal enough,which most comic readers are not.a blurb in et weekly was not brought about by marvel or dc.A full page ad could'nt hurt.a time warner corporation like Dc could get all kinds of help to derail costs.marvel had a sucessful movie and cartoon spinoffs ,but most watchers don't know if the comics exsist.

But there are comics readers who are sports fans, there are comic fans into wrestling. Kevin is selling because the comics readers in his fan base tipped off the non-comics readers. (Of course this worked against NFLSuperPro, comics/football fan told football only fan it sucked and they stayed away. [img]/resources/ubb/smile.gif[/img] ) Granted, Marvel has had two successful film projects in Blade and X-Men but the characters and concepts are from a time of greater readership, some of whom have moved on. The general public only knew them to be comic-related films if they followed the media coverage. It was more pronounced in X-Men coverage as outside of Patrick Stewart and Halle Berry, the other actors were (a)unknown or (b) only known to a certain segment of the audience. You didn't hear as much "based on the 70's comic" on Blade because there the story was Wesley Snipes. (The Wolfman case regarding Blade is a great example of the media not doing comics related stories unless a major Hollywood name is involved. Despite the fact Blade was a hit, I saw very little coverage of Wolfman v. Marvel other than people saying John Byrne showed his ass because the case may have been seen as a fight over comics, not film rights or plagurism) Without the figures in front of me, I'd say DC benefits more from film tie-ins because the characters are so identified with comics. However I've heard kids be suprised when they found a Superman or Batman comic as they only know them from the cartoons. Assuming Marvel got a bump from X-Men, Spider-Man (the better known character) should give them even more of one.
Should Marvel have a commercial for Ultimate X-Men running in the X-Men cartoon? Looking at how well the GIJoe commercial did in the 80's, I'd say yes. But then I think about the fact that there are a lot of parts of the country that there's no comic shops that are easy to get to. The cost versus the return on the investment. Maybe it would be worth it. Then again, they could get grief after the coverage of them dropping the code then advertising on a "kiddie show."
As for full page ads, it would've been cool for the Dini/Ross DC books to be advertised like that. But the advertising like that is best served for TPBs as they can be found outside of comic shops (I believe DC has advertised the Preacher TPBs in SPIN magazine. It wasn't a full page though. It was like 4" x 3" in the record review section.)

http://www.digitalwebbing.net/comics/

#469083 - 07/02/01 06:19 PM Re: Kevin Smith
iusetobekb Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by S.D. Moose:
As for full page ads, it would've been cool for the Dini/Ross DC books to be advertised like that. But the advertising like that is best served for TPBs as they can be found outside of comic shops (I believe DC has advertised the Preacher TPBs in SPIN magazine. It wasn't a full page though. It was like 4" x 3" in the record review section.)

that's the point ,they should bring people to comicshops not bookstores.a busy comic shop will do them much better than a small spot in a book store.it's just an idea,i know it's expensive but these are big companies no matter how much they cry about having to charge us more because their not making money.i don't want to here that marvels bankrupt either,so was donald trump,many times but he is still here,they should spend a little money and try and help shops get some business.all the companies should,after all it's their product the comicshops are selling.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4