Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#469046 - 06/22/01 05:48 PM Kevin Smith
iusetobekb Offline

Loc: hawaii
I just saw dogma last night.not so good.I also read the first four green arrow comics.also,not so good.I think he's been overrated because people so want acceptance of the comics we read,you know from the stranger sitting next to us in the book store or where ever.he's not bad but he's no garth ennis.anyone one agree?

#469047 - 06/22/01 06:12 PM Re: Kevin Smith
DeForgeo Offline

Kevin Smith is overrated, but I've enjoyed most of his comic stuff and all the movies he made. I certainly prefer him over Garth Ennis (who I currently think is the most overrated comic writer in the business [img]/resources/ubb/smile.gif[/img] )

#469048 - 06/22/01 08:01 PM Re: Kevin Smith
iusetobekb Offline

ok,try frank miller or some one else,it just baffles me how many are ready to blow kevin smith for his work,the best of which is in another field [movies] ,and those are'nt great either.kevins work is ok in comics.the old zorro comics written by the disney staff writers in the 60's were ok too.garth is over rated but he's better than smith.

#469049 - 06/22/01 11:31 PM Re: Kevin Smith
peter mcdonalds of burger king land Offline

I liked CLERKS, didn't see MALLRATS, thought CHASING AMY was so-so, loved DOGMA. Haven't read his DAREDEVIL yet, and the jury is still out on GA. I think you've got a point; we're probably all guilty of trying to "legitimize" comics in the eyes of others by pointing out connections to other forms of entertainment. It's pretty sad when your average Adam Sandler or Britney Spears fan wouldn't be caught dead reading a comic because it's considered "childish"...

#469050 - 06/23/01 12:02 AM Re: Kevin Smith
Tobacco Joe Offline

It's happened before. When it comes right down to it, Harlan Ellison isn't really that strong of a writer, either, yet comics embraced him just as fiercely back in the '60s (maybe it was '70s) and beyond as they do Kevin Smith these days. Why? Because Harlan built his career outside of the comics industry (in the fields of sci-fi fiction and television), and brought the attention of those larger, more "legitimate" fields into comics with him.

It's the same thing with Kevin Smith. He's a popular creator who got famous in a much more widespread medium (movies) than comics, and has brought attention to the comics world through his films (and later through actually writing comics). He's not particularly talented (Clerks was great, Mallrats was lazy, Chasing Amy was great, and Dogma was the most overhyped, overblown, and overly ambitious movie of its year), but he is recognized by more "real world" people than just about anyone in the comics industry outside of possibly Stan Lee. Naturally, people who want comics to be "legitimized" by "real world" acceptance are going to cling to his fat ass just as desperately as Jason Mewes does.

I was in the audience the night of the 2000 Wizard World Fan Awards (or whatever they call them) when Kevin Smith won Best Writer for Daredevil over Garth Ennis and Preacher, and I am proud to say that I very loudly cough/yelled "BULLSH*T!" as Smith took the stage, ala Animal House.

[This message has been edited by Tobacco Joe (edited 06-23-2001).]

#469051 - 06/23/01 01:12 AM Re: Kevin Smith
iusetobekb Offline

i thought i was going to get ripped on this topic.i'm glad you guys agree.i'm not saying he's not a good writer,he's just not a legend or whatever,hell what's even worse about the constant ass kissing is he's not really famous,how many people outside of your comic click actually know kevin smith?he's more like ben affleck's buddy kinda famous.i think he gets great casts for his movies and they carry his scripts,as for directing,he's no kubrick.i don't like his green arrow,daredevil i liked.

#469052 - 06/23/01 01:24 AM Re: Kevin Smith
iusetobekb Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tobacco Joe:

It's the same thing with Kevin Smith. He's a popular creator who got famous in a much more widespread medium (movies) than comics, and has brought attention to the comics world through his films (and later through actually writing comics). He's not particularly talented (Clerks was great, Mallrats was lazy, Chasing Amy was great, Naturally, people who want comics to be "legitimized" by "real world" acceptance are going to cling to his fat ass just as desperately as Jason Mewes does.

Joe (edited 06-23-2001).][/B]

i have to say i laughed pretty hard at mewes in dogma and chasing amy .and kevin writes good script when he gets the actor he envisioned the part for to play it.only he could know mewes enough to write for him.also tabbac..so that was you...

[This message has been edited by iusetobekb (edited 06-23-2001).]

#469053 - 06/23/01 07:28 AM Re: Kevin Smith
NatGertler Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tobacco Joe:
I was in the audience the night of the 2000 Wizard World Fan Awards (or whatever they call them) when Kevin Smith won Best Writer for Daredevil over Garth Ennis and Preacher, and I am proud to say that I very loudly cough/yelled "BULLSH*T!" as Smith took the stage, ala Animal House.
And it was soooo kind of you to throw profanity at a guy for his crime of being popular.

So you and usedtakb don't enjoy his work as much as other people do. Big whoop. If ya don't like it, don't read it. If you expect everyone else's tastes to match yours, you can expect a lifetime of disappointments.

#469054 - 06/23/01 07:53 AM Re: Kevin Smith
Tobacco Joe Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by NatGertler:
If you expect everyone else's tastes to match yours, you can expect a lifetime of disappointments.

When did I say that I expect everyone else's tastes to match mine? I said I find Kevin Smith to be overrated, and cough/yelled "bullsh*t" when he won an award for writing, therefore vocalizing my displeasure with his writing rather than keeping it bottled up inside.

As far as posting to tell me and KB that you've read our posts about not liking Smith's work and are now posting to tell us that you don't like our posts, and furthermore that, if we don't like his work, we should just not read it... Well, then, why are posting about not liking OUR "written work" instead of just not reading it? You can't very well expect people to take advice that you don't follow.

But you're right, Nat - you shouldn't expect everyone's tastes to match yours. In other words, some people like to yell bullsh*t in a crowded room, and some don't. If you don't like it, don't do it. [img]/resources/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by Tobacco Joe (edited 06-23-2001).]

#469055 - 06/23/01 08:34 AM Re: Kevin Smith
Samuel Catalino Offline

Kevin Smith?

Isn't he descended from Joseph Smith, the founder of the Mormon Church?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >