Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#469056 - 06/23/01 10:00 AM Re: Kevin Smith
NatGertler Offline

Quote:
I said I find Kevin Smith to be overrated, and cough/yelled "bullsh*t" when he won an award for writing, therefore vocalizing my displeasure with his writing rather than keeping it bottled up inside.
Writing works that you didn't happen to enjoy is neither a sin nor a crime. Yelling curses at the man, particularly at a moment when he has earned a little celebration (yes, earned; even if you don't like his work, he did get the votes of those who did) is pathetic, ugly, and serves no good. If you truly need to go around loudly cursing at people for their popularity as your way of unburdening yourself, then you should seek professional treatment.

And I don't see criticizing a personal, purposeful verbal assault the same as randomly cursing someone for writing fiction that you simply didn't enjoy.

#469057 - 06/23/01 10:08 AM Re: Kevin Smith
madget Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by NatGertler:
[QUOTE]
And I don't see criticizing a personal, purposeful verbal assault the same as randomly cursing someone for writing fiction that you simply didn't enjoy.

I'd wager money that it had less to do with what he thought of Smith's writing and more to do with the fact that he wanted to look cool at the time, or impress his friends or something. [img]/resources/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

K

#469058 - 06/23/01 01:14 PM Re: Kevin Smith
Earth2Jeff Offline

Pesonally, I love Kevin Smith's movies and his work in comics. I think he's got a knack for hilarious dialogue, comes up with some great story ideas, and best of all, doesn't take himself too damn seriously. (An attribute I appreciate in creative folks.) But I also recognize the fact that not everyone has the same tastes. Things would be pretty boring if we did.

Not quite sure I understand this bit about everyone kissing the guy's ass though. How are we "kissing his ass?" Because he's won awards, gets featured in Wizard all the time and his comics sell well? So, are we also kissing Brian Michael Bendis' ass? And Alan Moore's? And Warren Ellis'? And...well, you get the point. The fact is, the guy's got a lot of fans, and yeah, I'm sure his previous work in movies hasn't exactly hurt his success. You don't like his work? That's cool...not a thing wrong with that. And anyone that tells you otherwise is wrong. Ya like what ya like and that's your prerogative.

But that bit about yelling "Bullshit!" at Smith from the audience as he's accepting an award? It amazes me that, though everyone is entitled to thier own opinions, some people think that entitles them to burdening everyone with it at any given time. There's a time and place, and that just wasn't it. Maybe you don't like the guy's work, and like I said, that's fine. But your actions demonstrated a complete lack of common courtesy and basic social skills. And unless you happen to be 11 years old, I'd say THAT was bullshit.

#469059 - 06/23/01 01:51 PM Re: Kevin Smith
Walt Stone Offline

Loc: Katy, Tx
The latest movie from the pen of Kevin Smith kinda has a few things to say about anonymous posters on the internet...

Funny thing, about some of Smith's characters. One could say some of them are drawn from real life... including, perhaps, those that would cough out "Bullshit" during an awards ceremony.

As to the general topic, Kevin has cultivated an audience. It's debatable whether the size of the audience is increasing with his every work. I suspect it has to do with the nature of the characters that are in his creations. Most of his movie works are character based entities. Relate to at least one of the characters and you'll find it easy to enjoy the show.

Walt

#469060 - 06/23/01 05:49 PM Re: Kevin Smith
iusetobekb Offline

Loc: hawaii
i love how people misspell my name then have a problem with MY grammer,anyway,i never said i did'nt think kevin was not a good writer,he is,even though his green arrow is not a fav of mine.but he's not as good as his hype,in comics,read what i write ,it's in english,if you can understand hunk enough to reply you can understand me.nat.i still insist that people like the fame factor[if you call him famous]of kevin smith more than his writing.i bet if ben affelck or keanu reeves wrote a comic every one would ride these guys,even if it made the early issues of spawn seem coherent in comparison.you people get to sensitive when some one does'nt give your heros a good B.J. in a public forum.maybe they should give a p.r push to a guy like peter david on his new works like they give kevin smith,in comics we all know who earned the accolades and who was given them,NO?and i don't think tabbaccojoe heckled smith,i was'nt there but the way they bow to smith tabbaco would'nt be here now.but if he did so what?if people don't heckle you it means you did'nt strike a nerve with your work,good or bad,kevin smith got tabbacos attention which means his work did it's job.also,i watched Dogma again,not being catholic i missed alot the first time but knowing a little more about religion the second pass i have to say i like the movie ,it's funny,if you did'nt like it the first time give it another go.ok.later.

#469061 - 06/23/01 06:20 PM Re: Kevin Smith
JayMesk Offline

So, are we also kissing Brian Michael Bendis' ass? And Alan Moore's? And Warren Ellis'?
-----------------------------------------------

Yes. Sure,why not?

There are a whole lot of asses being kissed out there but so what. To me the real crime is that not one of those asses belongs to Jay Mesk.

Dammit! Ain't my ass kissable?! Come on! Make with the smooches!

#469062 - 06/23/01 11:02 PM Re: Kevin Smith
Alex D Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, NV. USA
I personally like most of Smith's movies and think he's ok at writing comics.

If you look at what he's chosing to write as far as comics, it's understandable why he seems to come off as a big deal. He's writing characters who are/where considered "second stringers" and following mediocre writing. If he was following Miller or heck, even Bendis,on Daredevil his work wouldn't have caused that much of a stir.I liked Bendis' writing on DD more than his.

On Green Arrow I'm enjoying his work so far but it's probably moreso because of the mystery of trying to figure out what's going on more than anything. I'm curious to see if he can keep me around when it's time to tell straightforward stories.

I'm not saying for a minute that he isn't a good writer, but he's not as great in comics as his rep makes him out to be (so far).

#469063 - 06/24/01 03:25 AM Re: Kevin Smith
Barry Offline

Loc: Singapore
I think Kevin smith isn't a bad writer,his comics work has been entertaining,but nothing soooo spectacular...I mean,his dialogue is pretty sharp...but some of his stories have plot holes that don't really makes sense....

Its the same with J Micheal Straczynki,his writing is good and capable but its nothing so spectucular....

Its just Wizard hyping their stuff and making Comic Gods out of them.....

#469064 - 06/24/01 07:31 PM Re: Kevin Smith
iusetobekb Offline

Loc: hawaii
no kevins pretty good,just give some pr to people who bring in the regulars,like peter david,garth,whoever too.they media blitz kevins stuff inside the industry,but that is''nt gonna bring people into comic shops who don't already go.i could see if they hit rolling stone and Et,stuff like that with smith,cause then it would draw some attention.we all buy his books already,go get new people with him. [img]/resources/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

#469065 - 06/26/01 12:21 PM Re: Kevin Smith
Nightcrawler13 Offline

Loc: Mesquite, TX USA
Does anyone remember who was writing DD before KS?? He may just be a name but that name relaunched DD and I really liked his take. Now that BMB has taken that title over I think DD has reached a peak because of Joe Q pushing that name out and following it up with great writing.

The fact that people are even discussing his writing here means that Marvel did what it set out to do, create a popular title from a second tier character.
Yes DD was 2nd tier before Marvel Knights.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >