Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#469066 - 06/26/01 03:13 PM Re: Kevin Smith
Earth2Jeff Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler13:
Does anyone remember who was writing DD before KS??

Actually, yeah...Karl Kesel and then Joe Kelley had rather good runs at the end of the previous series. There were also some good artists on board during their runs: Cary Nord, Ariel Olivetti, and even a couple of issues by Gene Colan! [img]/resources/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

But you're still right, man. DD's back on the map for the first time in a loooong while!

#469067 - 06/28/01 04:52 AM Re: Kevin Smith
Billyboy Offline

Loc: London, England
Hello Kyle... [img]/resources/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

Thought Smith's Daredevil story was fairly good, but that might have been because of the Quesada artwork instead. Who knows?
Haven't read a lot of his other work so I can't say definitively, but he does seem to get more praise than he deserves when you look at his amount of output in the comic arena. Hasn't yet proven himself there at this time.
And his films? Haven't seen any, don't intend to. Not really my cup of scotch.

#469068 - 06/29/01 08:55 PM Re: Kevin Smith
iusetobekb Offline

Loc: hawaii
hey billy [img]/resources/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]-
the artwork by Q was wonderful,many people think Q is not a storyteller,i beg to differ.

#469069 - 06/30/01 03:23 AM Re: Kevin Smith
Matt_Fabb Offline

Loc: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Quote:
blitz kevins stuff inside the industry,but that is''nt gonna bring people into comic shops who don't already go.

I disagree, as I've known quite a few loyal Kevin Smith fans who don't collect comics but have picked up DD and are picking up Green Arrow just because Kevin Smith is writing it. Kevin Smith has a cult like following that pay attention to what he does and some of them will buy just about anything that he's involved in. Also with a new film coming out (Silent Bob & Jay Strike Back) this summer he's going to get all sorts press and while he will be no doubt be focusing on his new movie I wouldn't be surprised if he plugged the comics he's done, which will probably once again get some more people into his comics who might not normally pick up a comic book.

#469070 - 06/30/01 02:21 PM Re: Kevin Smith
iusetobekb Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Fabb:
[B] I disagree, as I've known quite a few loyal Kevin Smith fans who don't collect comics but have picked up DD and are picking up Green Arrow just because Kevin Smith is writing it.

but how do they know about it since marvel and Dc only advertise to a direct market,so they must already read comics,i just think inside the comic community they should push guys who have earned it over the years to us.if they were hitting the rolling stone or whatever movie mag's that are out there,then Kevin Smith is a stronger pull,because it would get people in the shops that normally did'nt go.

#469071 - 06/30/01 03:07 PM Re: Kevin Smith
NatGertler Offline

Quote:
but how do they know about it since marvel and Dc only advertise to a direct market,so they must already read comics
No, that logic doesn't follow. There is all sorts of promotion, press mentions, and of course fans just telling one another that serve to spread the word. If you're a Kevin Smith fan and go to www.NewsAskew.com -- the fan and information site for Smith and his works -- you'll see a lot of talk about the comics even if you have never read a comic.

#469072 - 06/30/01 05:28 PM Re: Kevin Smith
Vinnie Offline

Loc: Livonia, Michigan USA
Hey, Nat! I hope you're sitting down for this. Ready?

I agree totally with everything you've said in this thread!

Who woulda thunk, eh? [img]/resources/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

I, too, know a number of people who got into comics (or BACK into them) as a result of all the coverage about Kevin and his work. And because of that exposure, each of them has picked up additional titles not written by Kevin.

So if some people want to think that the companies have been kissing Kevin's ass (for whatever reason), that's their right and privilege.

I, on the other hand, will accept any help we can get to bring new readers into what has become a dying industry!

#469073 - 06/30/01 06:16 PM Re: Kevin Smith
iusetobekb Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by NatGertler:
Quote:
but how do they know about it since marvel and Dc only advertise to a direct market,so they must already read comics
No, that logic doesn't follow. There is all sorts of promotion, press mentions, and of course fans just telling one another that serve to spread the word. If you're a Kevin Smith fan and go to www.NewsAskew.com -- the fan and information site for Smith and his works -- you'll see a lot of talk about the comics even if you have never read a comic.

It does'nt make sense that they should don't promote kevin to an out side market,dc is doing that a little[very little]marvel totally wasted an opportunity with daredevil to advertise to a wider audience,although if joe were in charge then he may have tried to milk it more outside the comicbook shops.in a year kevin smith will move on and comics will have missed a good shot at outside marketing,cause as much as he loves comics[you can tell he does]he can reach a bigger audience with his day job.kevins overhyped to the people who already know he's in comics,why not go outside,i don't get how people would argue against that.oh well.

#469074 - 06/30/01 08:00 PM Re: Kevin Smith
wcrupe Offline

Loc: Gaithersburg, MD, Good Ol' USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Samuel Catalino:
Kevin Smith?

Isn't he descended from Joseph Smith, the founder of the Mormon Church?

From what I understand they don't have record as to which of the wives, however.

A classic case of not knowing who the mother is.

After reading the script on the 'net for Dogma I can say that the movie had the worst editing job possible. Has there been an unedited version come out yet?

Bill Crupe

#469075 - 06/30/01 09:31 PM Re: Kevin Smith
NatGertler Offline

Well, an "unedited" version of a movie would have the same scene 20 times, and would probably take all day to watch if you could stand it! However, there is now the deluxe DVD set, which includes 100 minutes of deleted scenes (think about that -- it's a whole additional movie's worth of footage!) as well as two commentaries (cast'n'crew, and just-crew... although Smith is on the just-crew one, when he's also in the cast), outtakes, and assorted other bells and/or whistles. Check it out here . I just got my copy today, but I haven't had time to watch it. (Beware of used DVD listings -- they're probably for the original DVD release, which had just the film and the trailer, no goodies.)

(Later addition to clarify: the 100 minutes of extra scenes are on a separate DVD; they are not integrated into the film. Time to get your VCR and start splicing together your own version -- although the music cues would be all wonky!)

[This message has been edited by NatGertler (edited 06-30-2001).]

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >