Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#471612 - 07/29/01 05:59 AM Re: "Miracleman" Trademark Status Update
Carl_Henderson Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Korvac:
Interesting. Make that fascinating. Thanks Carl for the extremely informative post. Presumably someone will be bringing this to Neil's attention[...]

It has been emailed to both Neil Gaiman (by a RACer who has his email address) and to Joe Quesada (who has been in discussion with Gaiman about publishing Miracleman at Marvel).

Quote:
I wonder what the process the USPTO office follows is? Do they assume that Todd owns the material unless they hear differently? Do they do any digging into something brought before them? How would one communicate to them that the ownership of something brought to them was highly contested?

See my previous message for a brief overview of how the trademark registration process works. (BTW--I know all this stuff because I've filed--and appealed--several trademarks as part of my day job.)

Quote:
This is the kind of thing that restores my hope in internet discussion of these kind of issues, doubtless Todd would prefer this was being done quietly and without any input by the public, Carl's hard work has assured a certain amount of transparency to the precedings.

I'm sure he didn't expect that--TMP had to know that lots of people would be watching for any activity on the "Miracleman" mark. And it wasn't really "hard" work. All I did was look up "Miracleman" in the USPTO online trademark database every week or so.

Quote:
This, to my mind is the essense of journalism: Important facts, facts that a powerful person would rather not be known have been brought before the audience most affected. Kudos.

Thanks for your kind words. But if it was really journalism, I'd get paid [img]/resources/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

------------------
Carl Henderson
carl.henderson@airmail.net

#471613 - 07/29/01 11:50 AM Re: "Miracleman" Trademark Status Update
skylion Offline

Loc: covington, ky usa
...Neil Gaiman (by a RACer who has his email...

I am not trying to dig for Neil's email address, if he wanted me to have it he would give it to me, but what is a RAC?

#471614 - 07/29/01 12:09 PM Re: "Miracleman" Trademark Status Update
Jason Michael Offline

Loc: Pembroke,Ontario,Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by skylion:
but what is a RAC?

RAC is a group of comic news groups.RAC stands for rec.arts.comics and this is followed by another name-for instance,Mr. Henderson posts updates to this Miracleman fiasco to rec.arts.comics.misc .There are other newsgroups devoted to DC,Marvel,X-men,Vertigo,etc.
It is essentially a fore-runner of message boards such as this one.
Jason Michael

#471615 - 07/29/01 12:14 PM Re: "Miracleman" Trademark Status Update
skylion Offline

Thank you Jayson.

#471616 - 07/29/01 01:23 PM Re: "Miracleman" Trademark Status Update
Andy Wan Kenobi Offline

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, En...
I would love to see Marvel reprint Miracleman or Marvelman as they'll probably call it...

------------------
"The reason the sun never set on the British Empire, is because nobody trusts the bastards in the dark."

I like that quote smile

MonkeyFresh - The place to be in shitty flash related comedy. Go see or your preferred kind of animal will be harmed...
And join the HIDA today or I'll eat whats left...

#471617 - 07/29/01 01:28 PM Re: "Miracleman" Trademark Status Update
ChrisW Offline

Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska USA
Quote:
Originally posted by neil gaiman (thanks to skylion [img]/resources/ubb/wink.gif[/img]):
ISaturday, July 28, 2001
Not only was it not at all damaged, old or unusable (because my basement is the other half of my library, and shares drainage tiles and moisture control and sensible things like that) but there was an awful lot more of it than I had thought there would be from the labels on the boxes, including some things I'd thought gone for good -- which will, I think, soon be seeing print from a delightully unexpected source.(edited 07-28-2001).]

Has he specified what all was actually in the boxes? You know, just to end the frenzy of speculation? [uhh...]

This could simplify matters. Gaiman (and his agent) could get the actual material out at a good deal to all (Moore, Totleben, etc.). But Marvel as the 'delightfully unexpected source'? That would make about as much sense as giving it to McFarlane to publish. Oh what a long spaghetti-tangled web we weave...

"I think ChrisW is the funniest man in entertainment still alive..."
-- the perceptive Tom Spurgeon

#471618 - 07/29/01 01:34 PM Re: "Miracleman" Trademark Status Update
skylion Offline

Actually with Joe Quesada at the helm, we might get a fair shake from a MM reprinting. But it is all conjecture at this point. For my money, I would dig seeing Neil publish it himself. Dream on.

#471619 - 07/29/01 02:05 PM Re: "Miracleman" Trademark Status Update
ChrisW Offline

Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska USA
Sure, he might get a good deal, it's just nobody really seems to know how Marvel will end up, and publishing it himself could possibly be a safer deal than tying the property to another sinking ship. I dunno anything about this stuff, maybe with good money up front, right to pick up and move on, etc, it could be a good deal.

"I think ChrisW is the funniest man in entertainment still alive..."
-- the perceptive Tom Spurgeon

#471620 - 07/29/01 10:42 PM Re: "Miracleman" Trademark Status Update
BeauSmith Offline

Granted, fellas...I'm no Perry Mason, but it seems to me that Marvel's legal department wouldn't wanna touch the Miracleman reprints with a 10 foot pole.

Looks to me that whoever does try it will have to deal with somebody...don't know who...that will start throwin' lawsuits around like flies around a picnic feast.

Marvel doesn't strike me as the type to wanna do battle over something they don't have much to gain from. They don't have the deep pockets for casual lawsuits like they used to. Joe might talk a good game on it to see his name in print, but I don't think the Marvel laywers would be real eager to back him up.

I could be wrong...just my thoughts.

Beau

#471621 - 07/29/01 11:10 PM Re: "Miracleman" Trademark Status Update
UncleBob Offline

Loc: Mount Carmel, IL 62863
Maybe Neil could get DC Comics to do it. Then DC/Neil could just use the Warner Bros. legal team (who is probably just itching for some new action and some fresh blood).

I can't see any particular legal team from other interested parties being able to beat the WB guys on this one. [img]/resources/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

------------------
Did you take the time to really discover how little we know about each other?
theunclebob@hotmail.com - ICQ Me - Phone: 618.262.8064

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >