Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#472505 - 08/10/01 03:54 AM August 2001 "Top 300" Comics, "Top 25" TPBs/GNs, and "Top 10" Magazines Sales Report
Carl_Henderson Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX, USA
Still closer to late than never--here's the August 2001 "Top 300" list.

Total dollar sales for comics, TPB/GNs, and magazines (through Diamond) were down -4.1% from July. But month-to-months numbers are always volatile. The true test of whether the direct sales market's recovery will endure isn't how high sales spike in the summer/fall, but how much they dip in the winter. And always remember: sales through Diamond ARE NOT the total sales for the comics. Non-Diamond direct market distributors (such as Cold Cut and FMI), and publishers selling through bookstore continue to report growth.

While comic sales alone saw a -10% decline as the "new" began to wear off Marvel's x-books re-launch, the TPB/GN category came close to making up for it, with a sales spike of 40%. A strong showing by Marvel's CAPTAIN AMERICA NICK FURY OTHERWORLD WAR and Image's BLUNTMAN & CHRONIC accounted for almost two-thirds of that growth. With the continued high sales of Dark Horse's LONE WOLF & CUB and AKIRA TPB series, and good debut sales for DC/Wildstorm's STORMWATCH: FINAL ORBIT and Image/Top Cow's RISING STARS vol. 2, plus two high-dollar DC archive editions (SPIRT, vol. 5 and ACTION COMICS, vol. 3), the TBP/GN market once again looks like the healthiest part of the industry.

Or maybe there's dark at the end of the tunnel, after all. Marvel's x-books (including ULTIMATE X-MEN) saw a two to three thousand copy sales decline in August. Even GREEN ARROW saw a dip of about 1200 copies in pre-orders. But--as usual--GREEN ARROW will probably make it up on reorders. Marvel still doesn't do that, do they? Too bad.

Elsewhere in the x-world, Chris Claremont is still laughing all the way to the bank, as his $2.99 X-TREME X-MEN (with Salvador Larocca) continues to be Marvel's highest-grossing title, coming in just behind DC's August JUST IMAGINE STAN LEE CREATING... book in the race for highest dollar sales. And when you consider that--unlike NEW X-MEN--Claremont's X-TREME X-MEN actually _comes out_ every month, its got to be making Marvel that much more money.

Moving on--and skipping most everything any good in the "Top 300"--Diamond sales for the 300th-placeing comic (GIANT SHANDA ANIMAL #6) were 1,050, down a bit from the 1,200 copies sold by #300 in July.

Finally, comics-related magazines took a -10.8% dip off of July's spike (which was caused by the strong sales of WIZARD PRESENTS KEVIN SMITH).

The full text of the "Top 300" report for August 2001 can be found on the web at:
http://j_carl_henderson.tripod.com/aug-2001.txt

And--as always--on the rec.arts.comics.misc or rec.arts.comics.info newsgroups on Usenet.

------------------
Carl Henderson
carl.henderson@airmail.net

#472506 - 08/10/01 02:39 PM Re: August 2001 "Top 300" Comics, "Top 25" TPBs/GNs, and "Top 10" Magazines Sales Report
Kim Thompson Offline

A couple of notes...

26,280 DC TOM STRONG #15
22,800 DC PROMETHEA #16

Er...wasn't the idea behind the ABC line that Moore's reputation would contribute to making these best-sellers in the name of exposing the general public to GOOD super-hero comics and thus start muscling the industry back into its glory days?

14,800 BON SIMPSONS COMICS #61

Is is a good sign that the official comic based on what is the most popular prime-time cartoon show ever is selling under 15,000 copies in comics shops?

52,390 IMA UNIVERSE #1
50,960 IMA SPAWN #113

This is the same Image that considered comics that sold 100,000 to be beneath contempt and consideration?

Yikes!

#472507 - 08/10/01 05:14 PM Re: August 2001 "Top 300" Comics, "Top 25" TPBs/GNs, and "Top 10" Magazines Sales Report
Elayne Riggs Offline

Loc: Bronx, NY, USA
Kim, you did mean "in comic shops" to be your operative phrase, right? As in, the general public who might be buying this stuff is not as likely to peruse comic shops as aficionados are.

- Elayne

#472508 - 08/11/01 12:28 AM Re: August 2001 "Top 300" Comics, "Top 25" TPBs/GNs, and "Top 10" Magazines Sales Report
matchesmalone Offline

Re the Simpsons comics, yes pathetic for the United States but per letters pages they sell tons more in other countries - I think I remember Germany being one of the strongest. Re the ABC books - make them $2.50, make them monthly, and they'd be selling a ton more.

#472509 - 08/11/01 03:08 AM Re: August 2001 "Top 300" Comics, "Top 25" TPBs/GNs, and "Top 10" Magazines Sales Report
Chris Knowles Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by matchesmalone:
Re the Simpsons comics, yes pathetic for the United States but per letters pages they sell tons more in other countries - I think I remember Germany being one of the strongest. Re the ABC books - make them $2.50, make them monthly, and they'd be selling a ton more.

ABC is being crippled by lateness, there is no doubt. Between that and turning Promethea into an Occultism 101 primer, Alan Moore is doing potentially fatal damage to his line. It's a terrible shame, because two years ago they were the best comics on the stands.

#472510 - 08/11/01 03:22 AM Re: August 2001 "Top 300" Comics, "Top 25" TPBs/GNs, and "Top 10" Magazines Sales Report
Raw Shark Offline

Quote:
Kim Thompson posted:
Er...wasn't the idea behind the ABC line that Moore's reputation would contribute to making these best-sellers in the name of exposing the general public to GOOD super-hero comics and thus start muscling the industry back into its glory days?

That was the original idea, but I'm sure they've abandonded it by now. Beyond LoEG (which isn't even coming out in the ABC sense of regularly), I can't think of a single title in that line that's accessible to mainstream audiences. Top Ten is a deconstruction of the superhero, which only works if you're already familiar with superheroes. Tom Strong and Tomorrow Stories are by and large either retro throwbacks to or parodies of older pulp trends that most mainstream readers aren't familiar with. And Promethea is no longer even accessible to comics audiences. Don't get me wrong, this has become one of my favorite books, but it's definitely been playing to a selective audience for a while.

And all this, of course, is seperate from the argument of whether more or better superheroes is even the key to attracting mainstream audiences (of which I'm personally not convinced). My point is just that even if you grant that, ABC is not going to accomplish it anytime soon.

#472511 - 08/11/01 03:30 AM Re: August 2001 "Top 300" Comics, "Top 25" TPBs/GNs, and "Top 10" Magazines Sales Report
Raw Shark Offline

Okay, so I guess I should give this an angry ranting alert for all you sensitive types.

14 18 62,800 MAR CYCLOPS #1
151 158 11,030 DC SWAMP THING #18 (MR)

Same writer, you know. One's been cancelled. The other's an x-book. Shame on you.

39 47 38,630 IMA MIDNIGHT NATION #10
43 49 37,390 IMA TOMB RAIDER #16

Forty-eight out of the top fifty books in this industry are about superheroes. Of the other two, one is by a popular television creator. The other is based off a video game and has big tits. Nice to see the industry's open to new things.

74 82 27,330 IMA HELLSPAWN #13

27330 reasons why creators' rights is an oxymoron.

104 122 18,160 DC CODENAME KNOCKOUT #4 (MR)
111 125 17,350 DC 100 BULLETS #27 (MR)

This just goes to show that even when it comes to Vertigo, Eisner awards and critical acclaim are no match for a nice pair.

In any other industry a title with as much good press as 100B would be a best seller. But in this industry if it doesn't have an X you can't be bothered.

134 127 14,460 ABS STRANGERS IN PARADISE VOL III #43
135 126 14,410 CHA PURGATORI DARKEST HOUR #1

Note to all aspiring comics creators: if your work doesn't fit easily into any major genre, this is the most you can hope for. After years of hard work and perseverance, you too might one day barely edge out a book about some demon chick in a thong.

165 112 8,060 FAN EIGHTBALL #22 (MR) (Note Price)

When a popular movie is made from a novel, the novel's sales skyrocket and boost the author's future work (Palanhuik, Welsh, Hornby, etc). Ghost World seems to be doing very well where it's been released, but this industry can't manage more than 8k of the series that spawned it.

257 253 1,900 ERO BLOWJOB #1 (A)
259 225 1,840 FAN ARTBABE PRESENTS LA PERDIDA #1 (MR)

This juxtaposition was pointed out on the Warren Ellis Forum. I think it sums up quite nicely how the industry views women.

Now I'm not one to force my tastes on others, but if I were to build an ark, I'd make sure it sat at least 1840 people comfortably. Beyond that I wouldn't worry too much.

#472512 - 08/11/01 03:12 PM Re: August 2001 "Top 300" Comics, "Top 25" TPBs/GNs, and "Top 10" Magazines Sales Report
Chris Knowles Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Raw Shark:
Okay, so I guess I should give this an angry ranting alert for all you sensitive types.

257 253 1,900 ERO BLOWJOB #1 (A)
259 225 1,840 FAN ARTBABE PRESENTS LA PERDIDA #1 (MR)

This juxtaposition was pointed out on the Warren Ellis Forum. I think it sums up quite nicely how the industry views women.

Now I'm not one to force my tastes on others, but if I were to build an ark, I'd make sure it sat at least 1840 people comfortably. Beyond that I wouldn't worry too much.

Wait! It gets worse! The new issue of Finder, hands down the most inventive comic being published, didn't even make the top 300!

#472513 - 08/11/01 04:04 PM Re: August 2001 "Top 300" Comics, "Top 25" TPBs/GNs, and "Top 10" Magazines Sales Report
Raw Shark Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Knowles:
Wait! It gets worse! The new issue of Finder, hands down the most inventive comic being published, didn't even make the top 300!

Actually, Finder was solicited to ship last month, so it appeared in July's Top 300. Just barely though:

290 332 1,350 LIG FINDER #23

Which, of course, is just disgusting.

EDIT: Just in case anyone is interested in trying out the absolutely wonderful, Eisner-Nominated Finder, three free issues are available for viewing at www.lightspeedpress.com . Heh, just had to throw that in.

[This message has been edited by Raw Shark (edited 08-11-2001).]

#472514 - 08/13/01 07:02 PM Re: August 2001 "Top 300" Comics, "Top 25" TPBs/GNs, and "Top 10" Magazines Sales Report
time Offline

I totally agree with the "too many superheroes on the market" attitude. I wish comic book readers would just try some of the stuff from Vertigo. It is by far the best line of comics out there, and well worth the money that you'll be paying for. I recommend "Outlaw Nation", (though you have to start from issue number 1 and work your way through the back issues, there are no storylines, it's more of an epic.) "American Century", "Hunter: The Age of Magic", and "The Crusades".

I also recommend that everybody checks out "Preacher". It is by far the best comic book series that i've read in a long time! Pick it up in TPB, cause the early issues are tough to find, and it's great just reading it from start to finish!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >