Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#472964 - 08/21/01 09:27 AM "Secret" Convention in NYC in October
Elayne Riggs Offline

Loc: Bronx, NY, USA
My husband happened to find this website this morning: http://www.nyccomicon.com/ .

Who knew? Only a month and a half away and this is the first I've seen of a convention that purports to be "high profile" and "historic." You'd think they'd have done a bit more PR by now. It sounds promising, and I'll be writing them for more info and to see if FoL-NY can be a part of it, but you know, one of the great things about having so many comic pros around NYC is that one usually hears about these things...

- Elayne

#472965 - 08/21/01 11:46 AM Re: "Secret" Convention in NYC in October
Heidi MacDonald Offline

Loc: New York, New York
A lot of people were talking about this @ WizardWorld. If nothing else there will be a very decent guest list. I do agree a little more advertising is needed.

#472966 - 08/21/01 12:15 PM Re: "Secret" Convention in NYC in October
colleen Offline

Loc: Newport News VA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Heidi MacDonald:
A lot of people were talking about this @ WizardWorld. If nothing else there will be a very decent guest list. I do agree a little more advertising is needed.

It appears that what is also needed is some kind of agreement with the hotel. I have called several times (including today) to find out about this show. The hotel says that there is no comic book convention listed for that weekend and, in fact, the hotel claims only two conventions listed that month, neither of them comicons

What's going on?

Has anyone confirmed that these guests are actually coming to this show which does not seem to have an agreement with the hotel?

Anyone know Jae Lee? Anyone know Alex Ross?

colleen
www.adistantsoil.com

#472967 - 08/21/01 12:38 PM Re: "Secret" Convention in NYC in October
Tim Gagne Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Check the Alex Ross site www.alexrossart.com I think. There should be a schedule of his appearances.

#472968 - 08/21/01 12:39 PM Re: "Secret" Convention in NYC in October
gareth Offline

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Highly unusual. And besides that, I recently heard that there's a new comic convention in Boston, which is supposed to be in October at the Hynes Convention Ctr. I guess none of these people ever heard of posting at Comicon.com, or else they are phantoms of the collective unconscious.

Gareth Hinds www.thecomic.com

#472969 - 08/21/01 01:11 PM Re: "Secret" Convention in NYC in October
Elayne Riggs Offline

Colleen, I'd love to see you at this convention but, based on phone conversations we had a few years back, I'm surprised you'd want to go (check the website to see what I'm talking about). And thanks for the information about there not being an agreement with the hotel! Curiouser and curiouser. I think I'll ask about that in my e-mail. [img]/resources/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

- Elayne

#472970 - 08/21/01 01:50 PM Re: "Secret" Convention in NYC in October
colleen Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Elayne Riggs:
Colleen, I'd love to see you at this convention but, based on phone conversations we had a few years back, I'm surprised you'd want to go (check the website to see what I'm talking about). And thanks for the information about there not being an agreement with the hotel! Curiouser and curiouser. I think I'll ask about that in my e-mail. [img]/resources/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

- Elayne

Hunh?

A convention's a convention, no matter where it is. Don't know what you're talking about. Don't recall speaking to you in some years.

I didn't really read over the con info that much, but I probably won't go at this point anyway. I checked out the Ross web site and saw no info about this show.

colleen

#472971 - 08/21/01 02:36 PM Re: "Secret" Convention in NYC in October
Brian Jacks Offline

Loc: NYC
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Gagne:
Check the Alex Ross site www.alexrossart.com I think. There should be a schedule of his appearances.

It doesn't say Alex Ross will be there, just his company. But considering the website looks like it was designed by a 5 year-old, I wouldn't be surprised if this whole thing was a hoax.

-Brian

#472972 - 08/21/01 03:07 PM Re: "Secret" Convention in NYC in October
S.D. Moose Offline

Loc: Carmi, IL, USA
They list Comic Book Legal Defense Fund as a "friend" of the con. Maybe someone with CBLDF might know something.

------------------
Sean

"Let's all enjoy the sex act before Congress repeals it."-Groucho Marx

http://www.digitalwebbing.net/comics/

#472973 - 08/21/01 03:09 PM Re: "Secret" Convention in NYC in October
MerkSAT Offline

Loc: Point Pleasant, NJ
The reason no one is promoting it as heavily as they should is very simple:
The promoters currently do not have a signed contract with a venue to hold the show. At least they didn't as of a few weeks back.

The main promoter of the show is the artist Buzz, who recently has done JSA and other stuff for DC. Joe Petrilak, who put on the White Plains Classic show last year, is not a co-promoter, but rather an advisor to the group.

When last these two spoke on the subject in a Yahoo Group, the negotiations for the venue were still taking place and they were expecting a final resolution by September 1 or so. If it gets pulled off expect a massive promo push in the closing weeks.

------------------
Erik Merk

#472974 - 08/21/01 04:12 PM Re: "Secret" Convention in NYC in October
colleen Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by MerkSAT:
The promoters currently do not have a signed contract with a venue to hold the show. At least they didn't as of a few weeks back.

The main promoter of the show is the artist Buzz, who recently has done JSA and other stuff for DC. Joe Petrilak, who put on the White Plains Classic show last year, is not a co-promoter, but rather an advisor to the group.

When last these two spoke on the subject in a Yahoo Group, the negotiations for the venue were still taking place and they were expecting a final resolution by September 1 or so. If it gets pulled off expect a massive promo push in the closing weeks.

Good Lord! That's cutting it rather close, wouldn't you say?

Who could possibly commit to a show on that short notice? What does that give them...another week to pull it off? And then a month to fill all the dealers slots and sell tickets? Jeezus!

Sounds like a great way to lose money.

colleen
www.adistantsoil.com

#472975 - 08/22/01 11:22 AM Re: "Secret" Convention in NYC in October
colleen Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by MerkSAT:

Any more news on this? E mail if you hear please, I'm going out of town and this thread will probably be dead when I get back.

I am interested to find out what this is all about!

colleen

#472976 - 08/22/01 07:02 PM Re: "Secret" Convention in NYC in October
KB Offline

Loc: New York City USA
I wrote to this con since I walk past the venue on my way to work.... and figuring if Colleen was coming I was damn sure gonna find out if I needed to start saving my pennies for it... (G)

Anyway... I wrote and said that word was that they did not have a deal with the venue yet and here's the response I just got back:

=======

Hi,
we've locked down the convention hall and we are proceeding with the
convention plan.
go to www.nyccomicon.com for more info.
thank you
nyccomicon

#472977 - 08/23/01 07:47 AM Re: "Secret" Convention in NYC in October
MerkSAT Offline

Colleen (and others),
I'll post more if I here more. Haven't heard anything from Joe recently about it, and Buzz's e-mail box overflowed and is now rejecting e-mails sent to it. If anyone wants to try it's buzz@nyccomicon.com, but see above before hand.

------------------
Erik Merk

#472978 - 08/23/01 08:58 AM Re: "Secret" Convention in NYC in October
Elayne Riggs Offline

There was a response from Buzz in my in-box this morning, so I guess my e-mail got through to him. He's sending me a guest packet and probably putting Friends of Lulu on the "Friends" portion of the website, but he didn't say anything about the venue, so I'm glad someone else has found out. The website does seem to have new dealer information and a floor plan (the main activity seems to be at the Vornado Center on the 2nd floor), but nothing aside from that. Wouldn't really expect behind-the-scenes venue-contract stuff to be on there, though.

- Elayne

#472979 - 08/23/01 11:12 AM Re: "Secret" Convention in NYC in October
Heidi MacDonald Offline

Loc: New York, New York
The proposed venue is a brand new extension right next to the Hotel Pennsylvania, so it should actually be very nice.

If this all comes together, it could be an excellent show. So let's keep our fingers crossed!

#472980 - 08/23/01 11:17 AM Re: "Secret" Convention in NYC in October
KB Offline

Loc: New York City USA
I got a follow up email from Joe Petrilak and he confirms the contract is locked in and they are moving ahead with this show.

Looks like it could turn into a major show if the guest list and number of dealers holds true.

#472981 - 08/23/01 02:00 PM Re: "Secret" Convention in NYC in October
colleen Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by KB:
I wrote to this con since I walk past the venue on my way to work.... and figuring if Colleen was coming I was damn sure gonna find out if I needed to start saving my pennies for it... (G)

Anyway... I wrote and said that word was that they did not have a deal with the venue yet and here's the response I just got back:

=======

Hi,
we've locked down the convention hall and we are proceeding with the
convention plan.
go to www.nyccomicon.com for more info.
thank you
nyccomicon

Colleen won't be coming. Just got another commercial assignment. I'm illustrating a bunch of stuff for a magazine.

Go to convention or make thousands staying home? Easy pick.

Have fun y'all!

colleen

#472982 - 08/23/01 10:08 PM Re: "Secret" Convention in NYC in October
Trisha Mulvihill Offline

Loc: New York City, NY, USA
First I've heard of all this!

Trisha

#472983 - 09/04/01 09:36 AM Re: "Secret" Convention in NYC in October
Elayne Riggs Offline

Just to follow up, I spoke with Buzz yesterday (he'd sent a pro reg packet which we still haven't received, so he was following up by phone to my e-mail query about that). The con is definitely a go. He said they were having problems nailing the place down due to interference from a competitor but everything's all straightened out now, the Artist Alley space is pretty much full, and he'll be approaching the Big Two this week to solicit their involvement.

- Elayne

#472984 - 09/04/01 11:15 AM Re: "Secret" Convention in NYC in October
MerkSAT Offline

Thanks for the update.

Now if it only wasn't on a weekend I was already committed to something else [img]/resources/ubb/wink.gif[/img]!

------------------
Erik Merk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >