Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#473240 - 08/28/01 11:02 AM Did DC drop the ball with JUST IMAGINE?
Matt Hawes Offline

Loc: Evansville, IN U.S.A.
A post about DC's lack of promotion for Frank Miller's upcoming "Dark Knight" mini-series made me think again about how I believe DC really messed up the marketing for "Just Imagine Stan Lee..."

DC announced the project with Stan Lee well over a year ago. I still have the copy of "USA Today" that announced the series. At the time, I, like many, thought this would go over like gangbusters. I still believe that it would've if DC hadn't practically abandoned any real attempts in marketing the project. Oh, we had that initial push, but it was a year before the series and many comics fans forgot about the thing. The "general public," if they were ever curious enough to take a look, forgot the news even quicker. I don't think I was alone in assuming that DC would make a big push when the time came for the series to be published and distributed. But, outside of house ads, industry publications and "Previews," there was no great marketing push. By the time the series got started, even the most curious collector no longer seemed to care.
And then there's the cover price! EEP! If I had problems moving the series due to decreased attention and lose of publicity-fueled momentum, that's nothing compared to the off-putting cost of the actual books! I don't know why DC didn't just release the books as giant-size, regular-format comics at $3 a pop. The price as is (twice that $3 amount) has turned away what few fans that were curious.
I really thought DC would handle things better. Does anyone else think DC messed up?
Ah well, at least it's a monthly series of books, so I can adjust my orders accordingly.

------------------
Matthew Hawes
COMICS UNLIMITED
Evansville, IN

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
Evansville, Indiana 47711
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#473241 - 08/28/01 11:14 AM Re: Did DC drop the ball with JUST IMAGINE?
radmrobbie Offline

Loc: Canton, Ohio USA
DC made such a media push when the project was first announced that I think most people just forgot about it. Did DC drop the ball?? Maybe. But Stan Lee, in his lateness in getting scripts done, did.

I wanted to pick up the books just for the artists... Joe Kubert, for one... since I'm not a big fan of Jim Lee. The prices of the books are a bit much. I have no problem in buying a prestige format book if it's worth the price.

You gotta keep in mind, too, DC's inevitable push to get these into trade paperbacks. More than likely, this will be how I eventually read these books. (It sucks for the dealers who order the comics first, then have them still sitting there when the trade paperback comes out one month after the series' end.)

Just my opinion, I could be wrong. [img]/resources/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

Robbie
Canton, Ohio

#473242 - 08/28/01 11:24 AM Re: Did DC drop the ball with JUST IMAGINE?
SwiftMann Offline

Loc: Baltimore, Maryland
As a customer I don't think it was really DC's fault. You're right about all the hype a year ago, even John Stewart made a stereotypical "Comic Book Guy" type joke about it on the Daily Show. I think a lot of the problems (read: delays) came from the changing of which books would be done and by who more than from DC screwing up. Add to that an insane price per issue and the fact that most people don't seem to be all that thrilled by the books (personally, I got the Batman and flipped through WW and have decided not to put any more money into this)this project just seems DOA.

------------------
"Yeah, I wanted to ask you how little you guys sold out for and what it feels like to have no soul and a black heart?"
-Con guy 2 Dante & Randal

#473243 - 08/28/01 12:07 PM Re: Did DC drop the ball with JUST IMAGINE?
Jamie Coville Offline

Folks, Just Imagine is the top money earner for DC right now. It doesn't sell in X-men numbers but the high cover price makes it the top book in terms of revenue. This according to the Diamond Sales charts.

And to be quite frank, that's way better than I thought it would do.

------------------
Regards,
Jamie Coville
The History of Superhero Comic Books!
http://www.geocities.com/comichistory/

The CollectorTimes.com
http://www.CollectorTimes.com

#473244 - 08/28/01 04:24 PM Re: Did DC drop the ball with JUST IMAGINE?
Korvac Offline

Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
And, not to be cruel, but the tides of comic book writing have frankly left Stan behind. I tried a few of the Just Imagine books and found them frankly unreadable, a morrass of cliches that wouldn't even have been published with anyone else's name on the writing credit.

------------------
Nothing tops the simple joy of a monkey knife fight.

#473245 - 08/29/01 12:25 AM Re: Did DC drop the ball with JUST IMAGINE?
Greg Hyland Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I think they dropped the ball by not making them LOOK like a 60's Marvel book. I thought that was going to be the point of this series, as that seems to be the only way Stan can write.

Get one of the MANY people that can imitate Kirby's style, or get actual oldtime Marvel guys to do the books, like Gene Colan on the Batman book. I think that would have made this series more funner than current looking, expencive photoshop coloured books.

#473246 - 09/07/01 04:08 AM Re: Did DC drop the ball with JUST IMAGINE?
Keith Offline

Loc: NY, NY
Gotta admit, I enjoyed "Batman," but felt "Wonder Woman" nothing more than a second rate Promethea (who is a THIRD-rate Wonder Woman)...a book which Stan probably doesn't know exists (although Mike Carlin should have known).

I disagree about Stan's writing style being out of date. Although I wonder if it was an editorial push or if Stan is getting ghost written a bit, as the style in "Just Imagine..." is certainly a bit grim.

I think folks are naturally harder on Stan considering what legends he has brought to fore. The plots are pretty tight, the pacing is purposefully slow, and the characters are excitingly diverse. Attempts to make these characters relevant to TODAY are appreciated (although I disagree on HOW this is done) and do not seem forced.

These are not masterpieces, but they are decent reads, without feeling derivitive (I think Stan's Wonder Woman would have been better served if her design wasn't so reminiscent of Promethea). More so, there are no bad quotes from t.v. shows and movies (a la Bendis, who I like despite his constant need to do that), no out-right swipes from well-known sci-fi shows and movies (has anyone else taken a look a pacheco's FF?), and it's cool to see someone trying something new.

I gotta say, however, I'd have loved to see Stan write books of DC Comics characters as if he were writing them WITHIN DC's 1960s continuity!...but my understanding is if fans disliked that, the backlash would've been too strong, so DC decided to go this route.

Boy I prattled on a bit, didn't I?

Now go to my website.

------------------
--Keith Planit
http://www.PlanitReality.com

#473247 - 09/07/01 11:05 AM Re: Did DC drop the ball with JUST IMAGINE?
Matt Hawes Offline

Loc: Evansville, IN U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Coville:
Folks, Just Imagine is the top money earner for DC right now. It doesn't sell in X-men numbers but the high cover price makes it the top book in terms of revenue. This according to the Diamond Sales charts.

And to be quite frank, that's way better than I thought it would do.

There was never doubt in my mind that the first couple of issues would be ordered heavily by many retailers. Like I said, I thought DC would push this project (and a small rash of news articles from a year before doesn't fall into that category), so I ordered pretty good on the "Just Imagine" books. That's why it's a top-seller. But the actual copies sold in each shop is probably a lot less than it could've been if the format was more affordable and DC followed up its' intial publicity when the comics were actually supposed to be published.
I'd wager that the "Just Imagine" books will fall down the charts with each succeeding issue. That's a shame, as it could've done better, I think.
So, any other retailers out there, have you cut back on your orders on this title? If not, how's it performing in your area?

------------------
Matthew Hawes
COMICS UNLIMITED
Evansville, IN

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
Evansville, Indiana 47711
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#473248 - 09/07/01 03:40 PM Re: Did DC drop the ball with JUST IMAGINE?
Joe Field Offline

Loc: Concord, CA
"DC announced the project with Stan Lee well over a year ago. I still have the copy of "USA Today" that announced the series. "

The problem with the promotion was that people withing Stan Lee Media (over a year ago) ran with the story long before DC wanted to promote it, since DC knew the books weren't ready to ship.

When it came time to actually bring the books out, the story had already been done---and no media want to pick up a story that was last year's news.

That being said, I'm quite pleased by the sales on the first two Stan/DC books. Congrats to Stan, Joe Kubert, Jim Lee and DC for a fun project.

Joe Field
Flying Colors
Concord, CA

#473249 - 09/08/01 04:09 AM Re: Did DC drop the ball with JUST IMAGINE?
positronic Offline

Speaking as a long-time fan (and one who loves the Silver-Age Marvel work of Stan Lee), I just can't get into this project, despite the talent involved, for the same reason that I avoided the Dan Jurgens-inspired "Tangent" event-week books. Change the names of the characters, and this has absolutely nothing to do with the DC characters I know and love -- and neither is it reminicent of Stan's Silver Age Marvel Universe.

I flipped through the first two books when they came out, but I just couldn't see investing $5.95x12 dollars in this - even with a 20% discount at my local shop. At first I entertained some idea of maybe getting the stories when collected in trade paperback format, but actually I'm so disinterested now that I doubt very much I'll bother, unless I start reading rave reviews of the books.

DC could promote this project all they wanted to, and it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >