Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#473422 - 09/01/01 04:56 PM Opinions on John Romita junior please.
Darth Bob Villa Offline

i think the guy his the greatest personally.

His art is always kick ass.

People complain his art is too blocky.

I d rather see a slight change in style to get the books out rather than see a book every few months..but the guy can do easily more than one book a month ,,, he has proven that.

Bar none the best damn penciler that marvel has today.

And forget other superstars that don't deliver on their promises.

JRJR is the MAN....he has marvel blood in him just like his dad.

Thanks god we have JRJR.

[img]/resources/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

keep on trucking JRJR!!!!

#473423 - 09/01/01 08:17 PM Re: Opinions on John Romita junior please.
Paul1963 Offline

Loc: Glen Burnie, MD, USA
Liked his X-Men work back in the early '80s, enjoyed inking him in my Official Marvel Comics Try-Out Book in '83.

Paul

#473424 - 09/01/01 08:34 PM Re: Opinions on John Romita junior please.
jimmy4eyes Offline

I've always had a real affinity for JRJ. Even when I was a younger lad and had this weird fling with John Byrne (as a fan only, don't get any weird ideas), I still loved JRJ's work on books like The Uncanny X-Men. He's gotten even better recently.

Having returned to comics after a ten-year break, I was very surprised by the evolution in JRJ's work. It retains its old, clean look, but had developed a stylized look that's very cool to look at, but doesn't distract. Excellent, excellent stuff.

-- The Defenders, #1

#473425 - 09/01/01 09:04 PM Re: Opinions on John Romita junior please.
jack Offline

Loc: Just south of NYC
JRJr is ass!

#473426 - 09/02/01 12:45 AM Re: Opinions on John Romita junior please.
Jack Of Hearts Offline

Ahh, I couoldn't agree with you anymore on this one Bob. JRJR is my own personal Jesus Christ. His art is always fast pace, his stories well told, and his characters and scenes fully drawn. Occasionaly he can be bulky, (just check out when he does butt shots, they look damn strange) but a lot of times bulky works, like on Thor or the upcoming Hulk. But back to the point, i couldn't agree more.

#473427 - 09/02/01 12:57 AM Re: Opinions on John Romita junior please.
Spider-Arrow 42 Offline

Loc: Melrose, MA, USA
I have to agree on this one. I think the guy totally rocks! I thought his run on Thor was really great, and his pencils for Miller's DD:TMWF mini were excellent also.

His style is classic! While not overly flashly, JRJr. delivers clean and complex art that really feels right on Amazing. I hope he and JMS stick together for quite a while.

------------------
"Whenever someone asks me to define love, I usually think for a minute, then I spin around and pin the guy's arm behind his back. Now who's asking the questions?" Jack Handey, SNL

#473428 - 09/02/01 01:55 AM Re: Opinions on John Romita junior please.
Fernando H. Ramirez Offline

Loc: San Antonio, TX, Bexar
I first noticed J.R. J.R.'s art on IRONMAN. That stuff was great when I was a kid. I remember not liking his run on the XMEN in the early 80s... I was still too used to the amazing Byrne/Austin run.

In recent years, I picked up DD:TMWF and I thought he did a great storytelling job on that one. I thought the story, and the artwork worked well together in that volume. And his recent work on SPIDERMAN is also good. While his style is not my personal favorite, he's got my respect because he is a great, great visual storyteller.

------------------
http://www.fernandoramirez.com

#473429 - 09/02/01 04:35 PM Re: Opinions on John Romita junior please.
heckboy Offline

The only thing that bothers me at all about JRJR's work is that he poses the characters facing away from camera too often. The drawing is solid, the design strong and clear, but I just want to see a few more faces.

His Hulk looked awesome. Is he off that book now or just taking a break?

------------------
See ya,

Chris Bailey

"The greater the artist, the greater the doubt; perfect confidence is granted to the less talented as a consolation prize."

-Robert Hughes

Chris Bailey
http://www.majordamage.net

"The greater the artist, the greater the doubt; perfect confidence is granted to the less talented as a consolation prize."

-Robert Hughes

#473430 - 09/02/01 07:29 PM Re: Opinions on John Romita junior please.
Dave Knott Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by heckboy:
His Hulk looked awesome. Is he off that book now or just taking a break?

Taking a break.
He'll be drawing Hulk regularly again, starting with the issue that's solicited in the current Previews. There is a new writer, though.

And am I the only one who was really impressed by his recent run on Thor? That was pretty good stuff. The pencils were good enough that I didn't even mind Klaus Janson's inking, and normally I loathe Janson's work.

later,
dave

#473431 - 09/03/01 07:17 PM Re: Opinions on John Romita junior please.
Donster Offline

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Nort...
John Romita Jr. is probably my favorite of the meat and potatoes, in the trenches monthly title (and then some!) artists. His style is the best of both worlds, traditional and classic without looking swiped and homage-ful yet modern and current without looking trendy and dated. Great body language and storytelling too.

I don't mind that JRJR's been on Spider-Man as long as he has and hope he sticks with it for a long time to come. Thor and Hulk are characters I never really cared for in general, but I enjoyed John's run with Dan Jurgens on the former and like what he's done so far on the latter. I would like to see John eventually do stints on Fantastic Four, Avengers and Captain America. Iron Man again too. Or JLA or one of the Superman titles if he ever works for DC. Has he been signed exclusively to Marvel again since his contract expired last year?

Check out the official JRJR site run by my friends Owen and Susan at: http://www.geocities.com/romitapage/home.htm
JRJR is not actively involved with the site but did give his approval for official status.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >