Topic Options
#473867 - 09/05/01 11:15 PM Walter Simonson and Orion.....
Dakseid Offline

Loc: Apokolips
Goddammmit!

Orion is probably the only DCU title,that I actually go all out to pick up at my comics store.....and its one of the BEST titles being published by DC...and now DC's gone and cancelled it.

Walter Simonson did such a fantastic job with the Fourth world characters....he told big sweeping stories,made some fine additions to the fourth world mythos,altered the status quo..(that no writer has done since Kirby),provided us with his gorgeous art and back up art by the industry's finest...frank Miller,dave Gibbons,Art Adams,Klaus Janson..etc and he made all these characters his own...all the writers who wrote the New Gods were writing Jack kirby's New Gods...but What Walt did was writing Walter Simonson's New Gods...yet being faithful to what Kirby had established.

Guess no one appreciates good ol' big cosmic stories with good art and good storytelling too.

I don't get DC...they publish tons of Bat titles and also vertigo titles..that don't do as well as Orion .....why not just cancel afew of this useless books and keep a gem like Orion?!

#473868 - 09/05/01 11:33 PM Re: Walter Simonson and Orion.....
The OC Offline

It's a bummer, all right -- Orion is the only DC book I buy regularly (and one of the very few DC or Marvel books, for that matter), and I am consistently impressed by its quality. Simonson's one of the very few comics guys I can think of who has mainained such high levels of both craft and innovation for so long.

------------------
"Obviously, Otto's 'fool sensing' apparatus
only works on others and not himself."

-- Heuristic Heidi MacDonald, 10 August 01

"You have [my] contempt." -- Alan Light to disappointed TBG subscriber.

#473869 - 09/06/01 09:05 PM Re: Walter Simonson and Orion.....
jinxted Offline

Loc: dorr, MI. USA
agree with otto's statements, in regard to simonson anyway havent picked up orion at all guess I ought to. but yeah the guy writes big stuff very well.

#473870 - 09/06/01 10:46 PM Re: Walter Simonson and Orion.....
The Joker Offline

Yeah I liked Orion to once I bought the TPB. But I guess when your only around 110-120 on Top 100 (300). DC Comics was wise with business to get rid of it. I'm still not sure why Azrael: Agent of the Bat got cancelled. But I wish Orion was still around because I was really into that book.

-J.C. Money

P.S. Lets hope Walter gets onto another project maybe Green Arrow... Anyone?

#473871 - 09/07/01 03:40 AM Re: Walter Simonson and Orion.....
Keith Offline

Loc: NY, NY
I had no idea "Orion" was cancelled until this thread.

I was never a New Gods fan of any kind, but I've always felt Simonson has a creative ability few in this industry can match. I gave it a shot and when "Starman" and "Hitman" ended, this became the only monthly I bought.

It seems to me DC was hoping his name and the others that worked on back-up stories (and Byrne filling in when he did) would give the book strong word-of-mouth. But it didn't.

I feel it got lost in the shuffle; it wasn't promoted enough. I do not recall reading anything about it in CSN or seeing a banner ad for it at dccomics.com. Were there t-shirts and mini-busts created for cross-promotional purposes? Did anyone know about the ultimate battle between Darkseid and Orion (I mean, anyone who was NOT reading the book)? I dunno, I recall that "Starman" survived because of the TPB program and because of a "Starman month" promotion and because there was ALWAYS news about the book SOMEWHERE. But is that DC's fault or resistence from Walt? Is it problems in editorial or in marketing?

Lots of questions, no easy answers I'm sure. Either way, it's a terrible shame when a comic which elevates the superheroic genre of the artform comes along and is quickly given the axe.

Just like "Anima" several years back.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh, sorry, whew...couldn't resist that. "Anima"! Ahem. Oh gosh that was funny...

------------------
--Keith Planit
http://www.PlanitReality.com

#473872 - 09/07/01 11:53 AM Re: Walter Simonson and Orion.....
S.D. Moose Offline

Loc: Carmi, IL, USA
Other than a house ad and (I think) the back "cover" of CSN, I don't recall much in the way of promoting Orion either. I've always been a DC person but I really have to wonder about them when books are coming out and then being cancelled before people know they exist. Chase, Firebrand, and others have come and gone. Some might not have been the greatest books in the world but they deserved a chance.

BTW. Someone above mentioned the multiple Bat-books. Don't you love the irony that the cancellation of Orion and plans for a book focusing on the Gotham City PD come out about the same time?

------------------
Sean

"Let's all enjoy the sex act before Congress repeals it."-Groucho Marx

http://www.digitalwebbing.net/comics/

#473873 - 09/08/01 10:32 AM Re: Walter Simonson and Orion.....
Michael Greczek Offline

Loc: Fulshear,Texas,USa
I just think Simonson's scratchy style is an acquired taste that most mainstream fans have trouble digesting. If you're going to suggest a figure in your drawing rather than actually drawing one then you must focus on the gesture to carry the piece. Kirby was a master at this. Simonson is not. Without powerful gestures or unusual perspectives, Simonson's work lacked the needed depth to attract a mainstream reader. I would have loved to see a Cam Smith or a Joe Sinnott ink Simonson and pull his lines together. Top notch computer coloring like Pacheco gets would have helped too. In the end, Simonson is like Byrne or Starlin : workmanlike in their drawing but much better in writing/plotting.

#473874 - 09/08/01 11:11 AM Re: Walter Simonson and Orion.....
Dakseid Offline

Loc: Apokolips
Walter Simonson is a master of his craft....his style changes to fit the tone of the book...His Work on Thor was big,grand and majestic...his work on Orion is alittle darker,scratchier....portraying the Dog Of War very well...with his violent speed lines and aged faces ...Few people can match Simonson for the power and impact of his art or his unique page layouts and design....His art may not be flashy...but its pretty damn solid.

Byrne on the other hand.....seems pretty experimental these days...but his story telling skills are still superb.

AS for Starlin.....I never really liked his art....but his stories are pretty good.

#473875 - 09/08/01 03:10 PM Re: Walter Simonson and Orion.....
Brian Jacks Offline

Loc: NYC
Quote:
Originally posted by S.D. Moose:
BTW. Someone above mentioned the multiple Bat-books. Don't you love the irony that the cancellation of Orion and plans for a book focusing on the Gotham City PD come out about the same time?

A book about the police department? I'm not aware of this. Can someone elaborate?

-Brian

#473876 - 09/08/01 03:15 PM Re: Walter Simonson and Orion.....
Korvac Offline

Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
GCPD info:
http://www.comicon.com/ubb/Forum13/HTML/000288.html

------------------
Nothing tops the simple joy of a monkey knife fight.