Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#474913 - 09/16/01 01:42 PM "WALT -- THE MAN BEHIND THE MYTH" Airs Tonight On ABC!
Scott Shaw! Offline

Loc: Sherman Oaks, California, USA
I have it on excellent authority that, despite the non-stop "Attack On America" reportage, ABC still plans to air "Walt -- The Man Behind The Myth" on THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF DISNEY tonight at 7 pm (PST).

Obviously, it's a Disney-produced show on a Disney-owned network, but I think it will be significantly interesting anyway. Besides, the great Floyd Norman (who worked under Walt Disney's regime in the 1950s and 1960s) will be interviewed as part of the show, and if you've seen his gags in the latest issue of Amid Amidi's ANIMATION BLAST magazine, you know just how cool and incisive Floyd's perspective on the Disney empire really is.

Please don't miss it!

Scott "I Never Thought I'd Ever Be Looking To Disney For Relief" Shaw!

------------------
See the CRAZIEST comic books ever published!
SCOTT SHAW! Presents ODDBALL COMICS!
A weird 'n' wacky new funnybook cover every weekday, only at Comic Book Resources, http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/oddball/

#474914 - 09/16/01 07:00 PM Re: "WALT -- THE MAN BEHIND THE MYTH" Airs Tonight On ABC!
Scott Shaw! Offline

I should clarify further, lest anyone think I'm blowing the horn just for Disney's sake: Floyd Norman was the first black cartoonist ever to be hired at Disney Studios. Not only has he worked on many of the studio's films (THE JUNGLE BOOK, TOY STORY 2, the upcoming MONSTERS INC.) but Floyd's also written and drawn many, many comic books, comic strips and children's books for Disney.

We've been good friends for over twenty years and I'm very proud to see this sweet and talented guy finally getting some exposure.

Scott "Floyd Fan #1" Shaw!

------------------
A weird 'n' wacky new funnybook cover every weekday, only at Comic Book Resources, http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/oddball/

#474915 - 09/16/01 09:19 PM Re: "WALT -- THE MAN BEHIND THE MYTH" Airs Tonight On ABC!
David Seidman Offline

Loc: West Hollywood, California 900...
I second Scott's high esteem for Floyd Norman. Floyd's got one of the warmest dispositions and greatest amounts of talent in the business.

David Seidman

#474916 - 09/17/01 04:48 AM Re: "WALT -- THE MAN BEHIND THE MYTH" Airs Tonight On ABC!
Samuel Catalino Offline

Scott,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. At least for a few hours, I was dwelling on an innocent time of my life.

#474917 - 09/17/01 08:41 AM Re: "WALT -- THE MAN BEHIND THE MYTH" Airs Tonight On ABC!
comicsguy Offline

Loc: Charlottesville, Va USA
I thought the special was well done. While I'm sure it wasn't entirely Walt "warts and all", it did show that he did have faults. It was amazing to see the rise of such a man from such humble roots.

------------------
Scott

#474918 - 09/17/01 09:50 AM Re: "WALT -- THE MAN BEHIND THE MYTH" Airs Tonight On ABC!
gene phillips Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
It was a pretty good special, and I was also pleased to see a little time was spent with Norman, as I wasn't aware Disney had any black animators. I enjoyed that he went on record as disagreeing with Spike Lee's calling Disney "racist;" as Norman pointed out, he knew Disney, and Lee did not. Moreover, it speaks in Disney's favor that Norman got a job at a demanding (yet highly esteemed in its circles) studio, at a time when there was no quota to fill and hiring Norman probably meant turning away a WASP applicant.

Which is not to say Disney was a fount of racial/ethnic sensitivity, but he simply was like a lot of WASPS of the time in that he invoked stereotypes w/o being conscious that he was doing so. I recently read an anecdote--can't recall where-- where he talked about gettting his "Jew lawyer" to do something or other, blithely unaware that this could be offensive. Nor, from a bio I read, did he really grasp why SONG OF THE SOUTH could be offensive. But this is a long way from being "racist" in the sense Spike Lee usually uses the term.

#474919 - 09/17/01 10:27 AM Re: "WALT -- THE MAN BEHIND THE MYTH" Airs Tonight On ABC!
Elayne Riggs Offline

Loc: Bronx, NY, USA
I too was surprised that they actually mentioned stuff like Disney's cooperation with HUAC and all the rumors of his anti-Semitism. What I found most interesting was ABC's financial interest in Disneyland; I didn't realize the two corporations, which are now one corporation, went back that far. (Wasn't "Wonderful World of Color" on NBC?)

- Elayne

#474920 - 09/17/01 12:12 PM Re: "WALT -- THE MAN BEHIND THE MYTH" Airs Tonight On ABC!
Matt Brady_dup1 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Elayne Riggs:
What I found most interesting was ABC's financial interest in Disneyland; I didn't realize the two corporations, which are now one corporation, went back that far. (Wasn't "Wonderful World of Color" on NBC?)

- Elayne

From reading the Bob Thomas biography, Disneyland was such a risk and Disny had limited cash, so they were hitting everybody up for money - and they promtply bought their interests back once Disneyland started making money hand over fist. Interestingly, their comic publisher, Western Printing held 13.79 percent of Disneyland as well.

The ABC deal was in exchange for a Disney series on ABC, which Disney did - ABC was the early home to the black and white Disney series and the Mickey Mouse Club. After ABC cancelled MMC (and, through business dealings alienated Roy and Walt), Disney bought back ABC's share of Disneyland for $7.5 million (they invested $500,000, and Walt reportedly hated paying them that much, since he considered they did nothing to help build the park) in 1960.

Their ties with ABC cut, Roy and Walt talked to a former ABC west coast guy who was now working at NBC. The icing on the cake to move to NBC was that the new Disney series would be in color. That series ran from 1961-1981.

Matt

#474921 - 09/17/01 12:28 PM Re: "WALT -- THE MAN BEHIND THE MYTH" Airs Tonight On ABC!
Jeff Zugale Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Floyd's one of the nicest guys I've ever met, period. Was neat to see him on TV. [img]/resources/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

However, did anyone happen to catch the biography of Ub Iwerks that was on Saturday night? I don't remember what channel, but that was certainly an eye-opener... it seemed to say that Ub did most of the work. Certainly a very interesting guy and a big part of Disney's early successes.

------------------
Jeff Zugale
Pagan City Comics
www.pagancity.com

#474922 - 09/17/01 12:40 PM Re: "WALT -- THE MAN BEHIND THE MYTH" Airs Tonight On ABC!
Scott Shaw! Offline

Didja know that, before Floyd Norman was hired at Disney (around 1957 or so) his first pro gig was as Bill Woggon's teenage art assistant on Archie Comics' KATY KEENE comic book series?

I also loved Floyd's comment regarding Spike Lee. Although, other than Bill Melendez, you could see that, judging by all the white faces in that archival footage, Disney's studio wasn't exactly "The Wonderful World Of (Ethnic) Color."

(In fact, I recently completed my first-ever job for Disney TV Animation, so I suppose it's clear that nowadays, the Disney organization will hire just about ANYONE!)

Scott "The Heck With Raymond -- Everybody Loves Floyd" Shaw!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Scott Shaw! (edited 09-17-2001).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >