Topic Options
#475056 - 09/18/01 09:16 PM Day Prize Winner
Bob Corby Offline

Loc: Dublin OH USA
for immediate release

DAVE SIM AWARDS INAUGURAL DAY PRIZE

Dave Sim, creator of Cerebus and one of the comics industry’s leading advocates of small- and self-publishing, has awarded the Howard Eugene Day Memorial Award for 2001 to Bill Knapp for his graphic novel, Faith: A Fable.
The award is named in honor of Gene Day, Sim’s mentor in his early years in comics, and is awarded in connection with the Small Press and Alternative Comics Expo (SPACE) held in Columbus, Ohio. Entries are submitted by the exhibitors of that show with the nominees and winner chosen by Sim and Gerhard.
Recipients of the Day Prize receive a commemorative plaque, a check for five hundred dollars and an eight-page excerpt from their book appearing in an issue of Cerebus.
This year’s winner is the critically-acclaimed graphic novel, Faith: A Fable, written and drawn by Bill Knapp and released through his imprint, Carbon-Based Books. “I’m thrilled to be the very first Day Prize winner,” said Knapp, “Dave Sim has been a creator I’ve respected since Cerebus began, not only for his work on a truly great comic, but also for his advocacy and support of self-publishing. This means so much to me coming from him.”
The eight-page excerpt from Faith: A Fable runs in Cerebus #270. Ordering information for Faith: A Fable can be found on the Carbon-Based Books website at www.carbonbasedbooks.com. For a list of the other Day Prize nominees and information on the next Space show, go to www.backporchcomics.com/space.html.

"Everyone associated with the Small Press and Alternative Comics Expo (SPACE) would like to extend our congratulations to Bill for winning the first annual Howard Eugene Day Memorial Award. We are proud to have played a minor role in the facilitation of this award which can only further the cause of self-publishers."
Bob Corby- SPACE / Back Porch Comics

#475057 - 09/18/01 11:25 PM Re: Day Prize Winner
Steve Conley Administrator Offline

Loc: Arlington, Virginia, USA
Bob,

The SPACE link looks like it should point to:
http://www.backporchcomics.com/space.htm

-- Steve