Topic Options
#475124 - 09/21/01 10:38 AM CHARITY Comic Book Auction.
Matt Hawes Offline

Loc: Evansville, IN U.S.A.
Matt Hawes: I have decided to put on an auction in an effort to raise money to donate to a charity associated with the tragedies in New York, Pennsylvania, and Washington. I have put on the following eBay auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1008467190

The comic being auctioned off is a Fine copy of CAPTAIN AMERICA #100 from 1968. I choose this comic not only because of its' importance to comic book history, but because Captain America remains a symbol for what's best with this country. Of course, the courageous rescue workers, firemen and women, and police of New York, as well as many valiant citizens are the true heroes. I am hoping that the proceeds from this auction will help in some small way. In a sense, it would be like Captain America is helping to fight injustice and provide assistance to those in need.
I have chosen to send the proceeds for this auction to The New York State World Trade Center Relief Fund. The fund was created as Governor George E. Pataki urged all New Yorkers and concerned Americans wishing to support the World Trade Center emergency response and victim support effort to contribute to the newly established Fund. The fund will be coordinated with the September 11th Fund, established by the United Way of New York City and the New York Community Trust, and the Twin Towers Fund established by the City of New York. For more information about the New York State World Trade Center Relief Fund, visit their official Web site at http://www.helping.org/wtc/ny/nystate.htm or call: (800) 801-8092
International calls: 518-408-4992.
Even if you do not wish to bid, please consider helping in any way. Thank you.

------------------
Matthew Hawes
COMICS UNLIMITED
Evansville, IN

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
Evansville, Indiana 47711
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#475125 - 09/23/01 03:27 PM Re: CHARITY Comic Book Auction.
Matt Hawes Offline

Loc: Evansville, IN U.S.A.
Forgive me for a rant, but I am a bit frustrated with AOL over the handling of my post for the auction mentioned above.
I posted the same message as above on AOL's "Peter David Speaks," "Tom Brevoort," and "Captain America" message boards.

Many times I have witnessed AOL user's posting notice of auctions on noncommercial message boards. Surely, I thought, it is appropriate to list an auction for charity, especially one that plans to donate to a charitable cause of the magnitude of the New York State World Trade Center Relief Fund. I participate on many of AOL's message boards that relate to comic books. I chose to post on a comic message board because that would be the natural environment to appeal to comic book collectors that would be interested in the item to be auctioned and I want to drum up as much attention as possible to raise funds for a very worthy cause.

Imagine my shock and disappointment when I was informed by the AOL comics forum moderator that "advertising of any kind is not permitted in the Books & The Arts Community. If you wish to advertise, please go to Keyword: CLASSIFIEDS, AOL's designated advertising area where any member can place an ad."

My auction is not for profit. I am very legitimate in my intention to donate ALL money from the sell to the New York State World Trade Center Relief Fund. If the auction was for profit, I'd understand AOL's reaction.

I just felt that AOL's handling of the matter was inappropriate. Anyone else care to comment? Thanks.

------------------
Matthew Hawes
COMICS UNLIMITED
Evansville, IN

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
Evansville, Indiana 47711
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz