Page 2 of 38 < 1 2 3 4 ... 37 38 >
Topic Options
#475701 - 09/22/01 12:27 PM Re: Bill Mahrer, Marr, Mahr, ... whatever
Walt Stone Offline

Loc: Katy, Tx
This controversy is basically between the folks with the bucks who would publish--er, I mean produce and broadcast-- and those who would self publish--er, have enough money to put on their own show.

You can say what you really want to say (to the masses) only when you have the money/power to say it. News entertainers (news readers) and comedic entertainers still have to end up pleasing the powers that really exist - the folks that sign the paychecks... and Bill pissed too many off with his unfocused rant, and he's having to eat his words.

He had to go on the air and eat crow publically, and whether you believe it or not, whether you care or not, he still had to do it.

He did say something I did believe...

Things have changed.

Walt

#475702 - 09/22/01 01:13 PM Re: Bill Mahrer, Marr, Mahr, ... whatever
krisstacks Offline

Loc: parts unknown
So what the hell did he say?!?

#475703 - 09/22/01 02:18 PM Re: Bill Mahrer, Marr, Mahr, ... whatever
Talon T M Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Charles Reece:
Grovel, grovel, grovel. A good indication of what dissenting voices (Mahrer not even being one) have to look forward to. Pathetic.

Heh. Yes Falwell and Maher have been groveling most of the week.

TTM

#475704 - 09/22/01 02:25 PM Re: Bill Mahrer, Marr, Mahr, ... whatever
Eel O'Brian Offline

Loc: North Kackalackee

New Page 1

quote:

Originally posted by Plagues_of_7:

I wouldn't mind if we blamed the ACLU.

For christ sake they represent NAMBLA(sp?)

Sick bastards.

Originally posted by Tired:

Yeah!!!! The hell with protecting the civil rights of anyone I might disagree
with. If they were reasonable people, and deserving of the law's protection,
they'd agree with me about everything. You agree, dont'ja plaguey?

GROUP THINK FOREVER!!!!!

It's NAMBLA. The North American Man/Boy Love Association. They
have sex with children. They have no civil rights, they're
pedophiles.

#475705 - 09/22/01 02:27 PM Re: Bill Mahrer, Marr, Mahr, ... whatever
Eel O'Brian Offline

Loc: North Kackalackee
Sorry about that. Didn't realize the HTML was off. Here it is in English:

quote:Originally posted by Plagues_of_7:
I wouldn't mind if we blamed the ACLU.For christ sake they represent NAMBLA(sp?)
Sick bastards.
Originally posted by Tired:

Yeah!!!! The hell with protecting the civil rights of anyone I might disagree with. If they were reasonable people, and deserving of the law's protection, they'd agree with me about everything. You agree, dont'ja plaguey?
GROUP THINK FOREVER!!!!!

It's NAMBLA. The North American Man/Boy Love Association. They have sex with children. They have no civil rights, they're pedophiles.

#475706 - 09/22/01 02:59 PM Re: Bill Mahrer, Marr, Mahr, ... whatever
billybates Offline

Loc: ON, CAN
Bill said "We have been the cowards for lobbing cruise missiles from 2000 miles away". When he said "we", he was talking about the politicians who don't want to look bad by killing innocent civilians. What the scandal hungry media thought he meant by "we" was the military. Of course, he said it on Monday, but it didn't become a scandal till Wednesday. I guess the newsies were a little too busy covering a real story on Tuesday to pay any attention to what a TV host has to say about anything.

Oddly, Bill has been looking for scandal for the last seven years just so the ratings would rise a tad. And now that scandal has been thrust upon him, he wants to apologize it away. Pussy.

[This message has been edited by billybates (edited 09-23-2001).]

#475707 - 09/22/01 05:17 PM Re: Bill Mahrer, Marr, Mahr, ... whatever
Tired Offline

The ACLU also went out of their way to protect the civil rights of the Nazi wanna-bes that marched in Skokie. I say let's roast those ACLU scum suckers.

Not only that, but they also supported Blacks in their ill advised and commie inspired campaign to gain equal rights in the sixties. LYNCH ALL THOSE GOD DAMNED N****R LOVING LIBERALS!!!!

This is Republican America. Love it exactly as it is and keep your mouth shut, or prepare for one hell of an ass kicking. If something's not popular with a mob, it has no business raising it's head in our fine Christian country. You thought the folks behind the Spanish Inquisition had balls? All you rag headed Ay-rabs duck and cover and PREPARE FOR THE AMERICAN INQUISITION!!!!!

#475708 - 09/22/01 06:47 PM Re: Bill Mahrer, Marr, Mahr, ... whatever
gene phillips Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
I thought it was interesting that on his (Thursday?) show he thanked his network for keeping him on despite the absence of any (or at least any major) sponsors.

Somehow I suspect that, following this act of contrition, the sponsors will be mollified and come sailing back. Hollywood and its advertisers love a cynic who gets religion.

#475709 - 09/22/01 07:07 PM Re: Bill Mahrer, Marr, Mahr, ... whatever
Kim Thompson Offline

Bill Maher made an excellent point in a way that was open to misinterpretation, which was a mistake on his part. I don't see how apologizing for a clumsy statement that offended some people in an extremely sensitive time negates his initial ballsiness in any way. I can take or leave Bill Maher and his politics for the most part (like most libertarians, he basically has one idea), but he's being given a bum rap both by the "patriots" who assailed him for the original remark and the people who are now assailing him for being a fraidy-cat.

#475710 - 09/22/01 07:31 PM Re: Bill Mahrer, Marr, Mahr, ... whatever
adam12345 Offline

Even in the best case--the US population of 250 million couldnt stand a chance against 2 billion "ragheads."

As for Maher--on occassion he makes good points--but he sure is ignorant about the Mid East.
"The Palestinians dont exist cuz the 1939 World's Fair exhibit only featured a Zionist display."

Uh yeah--right.
Hell, even Gandhi said the Palestinians had the stronger case than the Jews in Palestine(and this was after Hitler).

Page 2 of 38 < 1 2 3 4 ... 37 38 >