Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#476593 - 10/03/01 02:51 AM Any othe Retailer/Publishee notice the "survey" at the end of the RETAILERS FORM?
jack Offline

Loc: Just south of NYC
I was tempted to post this in "Publishing and Distributing" but thought most folks like to know that Diamond is asking it's retailers, in a survey form, what we think of moving Comics Day to Thursday from Wednesday.

I know what I think, which is that it's a bad idea, but what do you think?

#476594 - 10/03/01 07:10 AM Re: Any othe Retailer/Publishee notice the "survey" at the end of the RETAILERS FORM?
Alias Offline

Loc: Las Vegas Nevada USA
I'd say it's a bad idea big time.

Jim Brocius

#476595 - 10/03/01 09:00 AM Re: Any othe Retailer/Publishee notice the "survey" at the end of the RETAILERS FORM?
Jim Hanley Offline

Loc: NYC
It's just another non-issue for retailers to bitch about. A year from now, no one will care at all. Two years from now, no one will remember that New Comics Day used to be Wednesday. Five years from now, retailers will be up in arms because Diamond wants to switch New comics Day from Thursday.

That Michael Keaton is hell of an actor, though.

#476596 - 10/03/01 09:06 AM Re: Any othe Retailer/Publishee notice the "survey" at the end of the RETAILERS FORM?
Bill Hicks Offline

Loc: Ohio
I agree with Jim. I think our customers will adjust easily to the new day in a few short weeks. If this move will allow Diamond to hire a more professional staff for the shipping department, I'm all for it.

#476597 - 10/03/01 10:27 AM Re: Any othe Retailer/Publishee notice the "survey" at the end of the RETAILERS FORM?
stephen Offline

Loc: Toronto
From what I understand it's to better coordinate and facilitate (i.e. more accurate) shipping, and who could be upset over that? It could be double-speak but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Outside of old habits dying hard, and perhaps the Wednesday being "hump-day" sales-boost theory, I'd be interested in why you think it's a bad idea.

#476598 - 10/03/01 10:48 AM Re: Any othe Retailer/Publishee notice the "survey" at the end of the RETAILERS FORM?
columnist Offline

Loc: Evanston, IL, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by stephen:
From what I understand it's to better coordinate and facilitate (i.e. more accurate) shipping, and who could be upset over that? It could be double-speak but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Outside of old habits dying hard, and perhaps the Wednesday being "hump-day" sales-boost theory, I'd be interested in why you think it's a bad idea.

Yeah, Comics arrived on Thursday in the 80's, and I actually preferred it. I was in a university "comics club" at the time, and it seemed like just the right start to the "weekend" (yeah, there were classes on Friday, but essentially by the time Cheers and Hill St Blues were on tv, the weekend was all but starting).

Wednsday doesn't have any intrinsic appeal to me. It's just the day I'm used to now. Thursday seems like the "right" day to me.

At some point in the 70's, comics came out on Tuesdays, but that changed almost as soon as I discovered direct sales shops.

These days, I do most of my comics reading on the weekends anyway, no matter what day they come out on.

- Larry H

#476599 - 10/03/01 01:34 PM Re: Any othe Retailer/Publishee notice the "survey" at the end of the RETAILERS FORM?
jack Offline

Loc: Just south of NYC
No this is really good input, see we (Mark & I) just think it has no real merit on the face of it, so the it becomes "suspicious", like why fix it if it ain't broke?

Ok, so they say they'll improve service, one way to do that would be to have a Sunday shift, which would lower overhead and improve scheduling flexibility.

How would it lower overhead? I think time and a half is cheaper for an existing employee than full time for a new hire. Correct me if I'm wrong there, and an existing employee would be less likely to turn over and resultingly would work harder, doing a better job, with more hours.

My nickel is I've carefully trained my customers to get their books on wednesday, and I already pay all my bills on this schedule, so it would be mildly disruptive for a week or month or so to get it all adjusted. getting the customer flow back in line would take longer.

Besides, doesn't that REALLY mean that those shops who get their books on Tuesday currently, would get theirs on Wednesday now, with the rest of us getting them on Thursday?

Maybe that's what it's about?

I'm just asking questions, not making accusations or slams.

#476600 - 10/03/01 02:26 PM Re: Any othe Retailer/Publishee notice the "survey" at the end of the RETAILERS FORM?
Bill Hicks Offline

Loc: Ohio
Jack,

My understanding is that, by cutting out weekend work all together, Diamond would be able to hire an older and more mature staff for the shipping department. If they really do this, our orders should be more accurate and packaged more efficiently. That would be worth the extra day to me.

#476601 - 10/03/01 03:12 PM Re: Any othe Retailer/Publishee notice the "survey" at the end of the RETAILERS FORM?
ChrisW Offline

Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska USA
Quote:
Originally posted by columnist:
At some point in the 70's, comics came out on Tuesdays...

At some point in the 90's they came out on Tuesdays and Thursdays. [img]/resources/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

I was kind of out of it back then, how long did it last? Was it just driven by the speculator glut?

"I think ChrisW is the funniest man in entertainment still alive..."
-- the perceptive Tom Spurgeon

#476602 - 10/03/01 03:25 PM Re: Any othe Retailer/Publishee notice the "survey" at the end of the RETAILERS FORM?
columnist Offline

Loc: Evanston, IL, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW:
At some point in the 90's they came out on Tuesdays and Thursdays. [img]/resources/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

I was kind of out of it back then, how long did it last? Was it just driven by the speculator glut?

Well, I discovered Direct Sales shops in the summer of 1976. New comics arrived on Tuesdays and furthermore they seemed to come out five weeks ahead of newsstand comics. For five whole weeks that summer, I was getting TWO sets of new comics every week (until the newsstand comics caught up to the ones I already bought through direct sales). That was one of the best summers of my life!

But by the end of that summer (I think), direct sales had moved to Thursdays and only three weeks ahead. That meant two weeks of no new comics [img]/resources/ubb/frown.gif[/img] . I was only fifteen, and didn't know enough to question why this change took place.

The Thursday delivery seems to have stood until sometime in the late 1980s when it went to the present Wednesday.

- Larry H

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >