Topic Options
#477465 - 10/16/01 04:23 PM Marvel and the CMAA
Pat ONeill Offline

Loc: PA, USA
The Splash reports:

"But Marvel's dropping the Code has raised some interesting questions that transcend the censorship issue. Industry insiders tell the SPLASH that at certain times over the last forty years the Code also functioned as a defacto cartel, allowing the largest comics publishers to congregate and discuss pressing issues facing the industry without catching the eye of government regulators on the lookout for price-fixing or other illegal activities.

"While this theory must be regarded as pure speculation at this point, it does paint the current shooting war between Marvel and DC in new and interesting light. If Marvel is going its own way, not only on the censorship issue but also in saying its no longer 'business as usual' across the board, then we may be looking at a fundemental reformation and restructuring of the comic book industry that's been forty years in coming. "

This was so obvious to me at the time that I didn't feel the need to comment on it.

If Marvel wanted to drop the Code Stamp on its comics, all it had to do was stop submitting them to the Comics Magazine Association of America's review board. DC already does that with about 50% of its line; Dark Horse only submits about a third or less of its line to the CMAA. Both are members in good standing of the trade organization. Bongo submits its titles and pays the non-member fee for the privilege.

But Marvel chose to drop its membership in the CMAA outright. This indicates more than just a problem with the Code; this indicates a business philosophy that is, in some respect, in opposition to that of the CMAA and its members. I suspect Marvel (read "Jemas") was no longer interested in helping to pay for newsstand racking programs it saw as more beneficial to its competitors than to Marvel. (Both DC and Archie have more titles that are newsstand-friendly than Marvel does.)

As usual, the creative community--which dominates discussion here and elsewhere--took off on the "censorship" issue, which, to Marvel, was merely the tail wagging the dog.

#477466 - 10/16/01 06:03 PM Re: Marvel and the CMAA
QCCBob Offline

Loc: Cincinnati OH
I thought it was painfully obvious that this was just another cost cutting move wrapped in a pretty "free speech" bow in the first place. Every move Marvel has made in recent memory boils down to cutting expences to maximize profits, why would the code fiasco be any different?
P.S. If you read the latest issue of Marvel Age, oops, Wizard and the 'Day with Quesada', you can see how well thought out of a move it really was, since nobody other than Joe knows what the rules are now.

#477467 - 10/16/01 06:35 PM Re: Marvel and the CMAA
Rick Veitch Administrator Offline

Loc: Vermont, USA
Pat,
You mean...we agree????

*thud* (sound of Veitch fainting)

------------------
Rick Veitch
Invites You To Read THE DAILY RARE BIT FIENDS
updated every day along with news of the world's most popular artform!
THE COMICON.COM DAILY SPLASHis always refreshing!
www.comicon.com/splash

#477468 - 10/17/01 01:49 PM Re: Marvel and the CMAA
gene phillips Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
First, it was Thompson and O'Neill agreeing on something...

Now it's Veitch and O'Neill agreeing on something...

Looks like I picked the wrong millennium to give up smack, coke, and parasailing off Key West...

#477469 - 10/17/01 02:22 PM Re: Marvel and the CMAA
The OC Offline

Pat's 100% right here.

Most of the folks who were big players in the early CMAA had heavy, heavy credentials and clout in printing and distribution. The Code's biggest weapon, the cover seal, wasn't really aimed at parents -- it was an indicator for regional and local distributors, so that THEY could tell what did and didn't get on the newsstands.

The Code regulated/regulates content -- but only in the pursuit of distributon and display, and not for any abstract wholesomeness standard. It is a pragmatic tool, not an idealistic one.

The CMAA's original structure and implementation were tied so closely to newsstand distribution that I'm surprised the CMAA has lasted as long as it has, considering the diminished importance of such distribution.

------------------
"Thanks, Otto. Your fool-sensor seems okay to me!"
-- Superlative Stuart Moore, former DC and current Marvel Knights editor,
to popular Otto Chelman, 26 September 2001

"You have [my] contempt." -- Alan Light to disappointed TBG subscriber.

#477470 - 10/17/01 02:41 PM Re: Marvel and the CMAA
Walt Stone Offline

Loc: Katy, Tx
The full allotment of flying porcine won't be available until Nat chimes in.

#477471 - 10/17/01 03:57 PM Re: Marvel and the CMAA
ChrisW Offline

Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska USA
Quote:
Originally posted by gene phillips:
Looks like I picked the wrong millennium to give up smack, coke, and parasailing off Key West...

You've still got the 17-year old nymphettes tho, right?

I thought it was a given, Marvel wanted to avoid paying the membership fees.

"I think ChrisW is the funniest man in entertainment still alive..."
-- the perceptive Tom Spurgeon

#477472 - 10/18/01 09:59 AM Re: Marvel and the CMAA
The OC Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Walt Stone:
The full allotment of flying porcine won't be available until Nat chimes in.

Plus Evanier.

------------------
"Thanks, Otto. Your fool-sensor seems okay to me!"
-- Superlative Stuart Moore, former DC and current Marvel Knights editor,
to popular Otto Chelman, 26 September 2001

"You have [my] contempt." -- Alan Light to disappointed TBG subscriber.