Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#478972 - 11/12/01 05:30 PM Uncommoncon Canceled!
Chris Medellin Offline

Loc: Dallas, Tx, Dallas County
Just went over to the Uncommoncon site and they've just announced that the con has been canceled. No info on what happened just a pithy joke and an e-mail address on where you can get information on getting your money back if you mailed off for advanced tickets and booth refunds.

Crying shame. I was looking forward to meeting Stan Sakai, Eric Shanower, Sergio Aragones and several others.

I know James pops up here.

Hey, James, wha happened?

------------------
http://www.octaviostudios.fws1.com

#478973 - 11/12/01 06:15 PM Re: Uncommoncon Canceled!
lominus Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I tried e-mailing James, but all I got was an automated reply with another pithy joke. I agree it's a shame, this sort of reminds me of the wholw Larry Lankford debacle.

Lomi Monet

#478974 - 11/12/01 06:57 PM Re: Uncommoncon Canceled!
FloydB Offline

Loc: Terrell, TX
I am sure that James will lay out the whole gory tale if he feels it appropriate, but I think that I am at liberty to say that the con was cancelled because we were screwed out of out exhibition space at pretty much the last minute by the hotel. I suppose that the only spot of bright in the tunnel is that they didn't wait a week longer to pull this stunt. At least we have a little time to get the word out....

Floyd Brigdon
Modeling Events Coordinator

#478975 - 11/13/01 09:17 AM Re: Uncommoncon Canceled!
lominus Offline

Yikes! That sucks.
Thanks for giving us a hint, does this mean Uncommon is done for good? (like J's message implies) or can we expect it next year.

It's a low down dirty shame in any case.

Lomi Monet

#478976 - 11/13/01 04:28 PM Re: Uncommoncon Canceled!
Chris Medellin Offline

A buddy of mine, Joe Singleton of collectortimes.com got this e-mail yesterday. I post for all to see:

"TO: all individuals involved in UncommonCon,

It is with great regret and sorrow that we announce the
cancellation of our 2001 show.

Circumstances beyond our control have forced us into this situation. There is no need to go into all the gritty details, suffice it to say that we did *everything* we could to make it happen, but it was not sufficient.

We will do the best that we can to repay everyone who has purchased space or tickets or advertising, but we make no guarantees. It will likely take at least three years to even make the attempt, and right now we have no idea where the money will come from.

Words cannot sufficiently convey our sorrow at this
horrible turn of events. We believe we had a wonderful
festival planned and it is truly a shame that it will not be around for anyone to enjoy.

For any further questions, please contact
service@uncommoncon.com.

Sincerely,
=====
james E."
------------------

And honestly, I can understand if their were circumstacnces beyond control, put what bothered me the most was the little jokes, instead of substantial information on the web-site.

------------------

#478977 - 11/13/01 05:18 PM Re: Uncommoncon Canceled!
FloydB Offline

Loc: Terrell, TX
I can assure you that the joking tone of the website was only there to cover up how upset all of us are about this. I'm sorry if you or anyone else read it wrong.
There is a bit of _good_ news about one of the big events that was to happen at UC, though. I am pasting in the text of an announcement that was sent out by Heritage Comic Auctions.

Floyd Brigdon

For Immediate Release

For additional information, please contact:

Cathy Hadd, 1-800-872-6467 Ext. 216; Cathy@HeritageCoin.com

John E. Petty, 1-800-872-6467 Ext. 392; JPetty@HeritageComics.com

High quality photography available upon request

UncommonCon Cancels Festival -- Heritage Auction to Proceed on Schedule.

Heritage to Provide Free Exhibit Space to Vintage Comics/Art Dealers in Attendance. Possible Second Signature Auction Bourse in March 2002.

Dallas, TX -- Though it enjoyed high expectations and support from several influential organizations, the Dallas UncommonCon pop culture festival was forced to cancel as a result of slow table sales and room bookings. According to James Echols, the show chairman and president of Uncommon Solutions, "The Anatole Hotel insisted that the show must either make up the shortfall or cancel, and without sufficient funds, canceling became the only option. On such short notice, UncommonCon was unable to find another venue to which it could relocate."

Echols added, "Our thanks and sincere apologies to all participants, especially to the Comics Buyers Guide for the publicity they gave us, and to Heritage Comics Auctions, whose $1 million comics, art and movie posters auction would have certainly been a highlight of our festival. Unfortunately, all their good faith and support just wasn't enough to overcome the slowdown in our sales. People aren't traveling as much anymore, and as a relatively new event -- this would have been our second annual festival -- UncommonCon felt the pinch from that slowdown more than most."

Despite the sudden cancellation of UncommonCon, Heritage Auctions announced that its auction will take place as scheduled, at Dallas's Wyndham Anatole hotel on November 23-24.

"Of course we're surprised and disappointed that UncommonCon will not happen this year," said HCA Director John Petty, "but we expect a great auction nonetheless. Nearly everyone who was planning to attend before has told us they are still coming, and the very few who won't said they will simply bid through our website. A few dealers and collectors have even told us that they will now come to our offices during the next 10 days as well, to view the lots here and then bid by telephone. We might see slightly stronger participation by some of the dealers, who now won't be distracted by the activity of the show. Fortunately for our consignors, we have multiple ways to accept bids. In addition to the live session in Dallas, we'll be accepting bids by fax, mail, email, Interactive Internet™ through our website http://www.HeritageComics.com , and eBay Premier Live Bid (the latter with a 5% surcharge to cover eBay Premier's fees). Telephone bidding during the live session may be prearranged, and we will install multiple phone lines to call clients who wish to bid by phone throughout the auction."

HCA has also rented space to set up a trading room at the Wyndham Anatole hotel for vintage comics and comics art dealers who are participating in the auction. These dealers will be able to buy, sell, and trade amongst themselves, and offer their wares to any attending members of the public during the auction days of November 23 and 24. Heritage has offered to pay the entire cost of the space and will also try to arrange additional space, if possible, for a limited number of comics-related events that would have been part of UncommonCon.

Should the bourse prove popular with dealers and collectors, Heritage plans to repeat the free offer for its March 15-17 Signature auction, also taking place in Dallas. Further details about consigning to the March Signature auction can be had by contacting Petty at 214-252-4392, or by e-mail at JPetty@HeritageComics.com. To arrange for phone or mail bidding, please contact Norma Pedrero at 214-252-4242.

Heritage Comics Auctions is actively seeking collections to purchase outright or for consignment to upcoming auctions or private treaty sales. Using state-of-the-art technology and an expertise gained through 25 years in the collectibles auction field, Heritage Comics Auctions offers the highest standards in client services and customer satisfaction.

HCA specializes in rare, high-grade comic books, as well as vintage comic and animation art, illustration art and comics-related collectibles, and runs auctions using a variety of Internet venues, as well as live auctions. HCA’s website, http://www.HeritageComics.com , allows visitors to submit their want lists, or join a comics community where they will receive special offers, discounts on catalogs and subscriptions, a free weekly e-newsletter, 20% rebates on CGC submissions, free message boards, advance notice of upcoming auctions and other events, and more, all with no cost and no obligation.

The Heritage name is recognized worldwide for selection, quality, value, expertise, financial strength and technological and numismatic leadership. Year 2000 sales exceeded $150 million and assets were approximately $30 million as audited by Arthur Andersen & Company. HeritageCoin.com is the Internet's most popular and highly trafficked rare coin site with over 40,000 registered members, 8,000 daily visitors and approximately 90,000 unique users per month. HeritageCoin.com is the only coin site ever chosen by Forbes Best of the Web (1999 and 2001), and also won the most recent Numismatic Literary Guild award for Best Numismatic Internet Site. Heritage Comics Auctions is pleased to bring the same resources, integrity, and customer-service orientation that have fuelled the success of Heritage Numismatic Auctions to the comic book and original art field.

media contact: Cathy Hadd

Heritage

100 Highland Park Village, 2nd Floor

Dallas, Texas 75205

1-800-US COINS

214-528-3500 x 216
http://www.HeritageCoin.com
http://www.HeritageComics.com

#478978 - 11/14/01 03:18 PM Re: Uncommoncon Canceled!
Chris Medellin Offline

Well, the guys who put on A-Kon are trying to put together a show.
Go to
http://www.phoenix-entertainment.net

and click on the Itzacon link.

Hoepfully, they can salvage some of the guests, too.

Stan, I hope you can make this show [img]/resources/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

------------------

[This message has been edited by Chris Medellin (edited 11-14-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Chris Medellin (edited 11-14-2001).]

#478979 - 11/19/01 02:37 PM Re: Uncommoncon Canceled!
ghoyle Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX, USA
As UncommonCon's Webmaster (and the one with the pithy jokes), we're all really sorry this all happened. Advance ticket sales and hotel reservations were not as high as we'd hoped, and the hotel wanted James to cover all the rooms we'd promised would be rented.

James is not going to pull a "Larry Lankford", and there's the possibility of another (smaller) UncommonCon event sometime in 2002. We're going to assess the possibilities in the next month or so. Though it was a major blow to the con's finances, we may be able to regroup.

Guy Hoyle

#478980 - 11/19/01 02:55 PM Re: Uncommoncon Canceled!
lominus Offline

This is very good to hear. And I for one wish you and James all the success in the world.

Lomi Monet

#478981 - 11/19/01 10:04 PM Re: Uncommoncon Canceled!
NatGertler Offline

Wait a minute! Why are folks acting nice to these guys?

The supposed "circumstances beyond their control" were that they couldn't pay to handle the promised room order? And now they are not guaranteeing to refund the money that they have collected from people for useless tickets, non-existent space, and useless or non-existent advertising???

These folks were either trying to run a con without proper funding or decided to cut their losses and make off with other people's cash. And now they're talking about another event? Whose money would pay for that, do you suppose? And who would be stupid enough to pre-purchase tickets, to buy a table, to build their schedule around this other event?

Unless these guys very quickly make good on the money they've collected for the UnexistentCon, I'd steer far away from them in the future.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >