Page 23 of 24 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 >
Topic Options
#479234 - 12/02/01 01:01 PM Re: Comicon.com Fixture Glenn Barbis vs. Long-Time Industry Star John Byrne and his Posse
metron Offline

Mr. Barbis: I read just a little of your opening statement on page one. It seems to me that Byrne is in the right on this one. I don't attribute any bad motives to you about anything you have written, but my advice to you is not to try to be funny on any of these message boards, simply because what you think might be humorous can be misinterpreted on a message board in black and white print. I know that I like to be facetious in my spoken remarks; I enjoy making an ambigious statement and looking at people to see if they are taking it seriously or as a joke; I usually just say things as a joke. In print, it is completely different. No one can see that you are smiling when you make a statement. So while your intentions might have been good, when you make a statement that if taken seriously can be very damaging to a person, in print, then you take a chance that you will be misunderstood. Believe me, the same thing has happened to me, no big deal, but it takes too much time and energy to clean up the mess, if it ever is cleaned up. I am sure you are a nice guy who enjoys John's work, but just be careful.

#479235 - 12/02/01 08:24 PM Re: Comicon.com Fixture Glenn Barbis vs. Long-Time Industry Star John Byrne and his Posse
Alex D Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, NV. USA
Wow! I got a real big kick out of reading how things are going at Byrne's message board. I used to visit his old AOL board and sometimes laugh out loud and other times swear to myself that I'd never buy another book done by Byrne. I'd go away for awhile and cool off and decide to judge the books by their quaulity not by what I think of the man (In the end it didn't matter, either way I stopped buying the books).

Personally though I feel sorry for his "protectors" that post on his board and take bullets for him and attack people he doesn't like or agree with with a strange type of blind loyalty. Because eventually they'll ask John a seemingly innocent question then John will attack them for no apparent reason. Some freak out and ask forgiveness, some turn on him. It's a very weird thing to witness.

On AOL the language had to be kept clean. I guess all bets are off on this new board. I can only imagine what's being said there.

My personal opinion of john as a person is that he's bitter, arrogant, and has trouble admitting he's wrong. But it was wrong what that guy did by stirring the whole thing up. There are probably 100 other creators who would've took it in stride and laughed it off, but he picked the wrong guy to "kid" with.

#479236 - 12/02/01 10:04 PM Re: Comicon.com Fixture Glenn Barbis vs. Long-Time Industry Star John Byrne and his Posse
Firelord Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Barbis:
First I'll say to Otto, by the end of this, you'll be saying..."Why did I bother?!? SHEESH!!!" [img]/resources/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

And second, I hope that Rick V. will monitor this so it doesn't get as out of hand as on the Byrne board...

Now then...Otto...here's the 411...(tho' I'm sure the Byrne board will tell it MUCH differently, as they have now on a few occasions)...

In September, I did one of my (in)famous Taking Five with...interviews with Bill Jemas, in which he stated Byrne could always work for Marvel emptying wastebaskets. If anyone has read my interviews, they will see that they are strictly for fun, and if they know of Jemas, they will know he likes to poke.

So...my T5w got posted there, I tried to defend myself, but the rabid fans flamed me and I did get a little bent and was banned.

So now, a few weeks ago, i get word that Marvel is considering sending Byrne a cease and desist on his FF Mid-Ohio Con print. The hold up is they don't know the deal with his "all profits go to" point, and are going to ask about the other monies.

Since I've changed IP's, I have new numbers, so I post there, but as an anagram named "Ben Binglars" to get the deal.

I ask if he's mended fences with Marvel, since he is using copyrighted characters.

He says he doesn't need permission. (My Marvel source tells me he does).

I also get word from my source, the ad on Marvel.com for the print was removed until further clarification.

I post again, asking where the rest of the money is going to. I make a (bad) joke about him skimming, to which his only reply is for me to "Go fuck (my)self. And not in a good way." Okay...that's fine, since the joke was taken wrong. But I still ask what's what.

After continued flaming of me, Byrne finally posts the deal, and I back off.

In the meantime, someone "investigates" Ben and starts blaming someone else the board doesn't like, for the posts.

So, the fervor died down for a day, until someone saw the news item on my board, and posted to the Byrne board they thought that was were "Ben" got his info. Then someone else figured out the anagram. I posted (as Glenn) they were correct, and my reasons, but they would have none of it, and I understand that. Still the flames raged.

I then got word that Marvel had okayed the print, but added a warning to ask next time.

Byrne posted that he had never even heard from Marvel, and I fabricated the whole thing as a scheme to get him riled up.

Then, in a complete 180, mere minutes after posting his denials, he posts he is pulling the print and it's because of me using it to get him, and the fact that Marvel cannot be trusted to keep their word on anything, and it is the same as the X-Men: Hidden Years problems he had.

Now this is where I questioned him, stating that he said Marvel never contacted him, so why is he using them as a reason to pull the print. I also said I was of the opinion he was upset over the warning, and that he was using me as a scapegoat…since Marvel did okay it, he can't talk bad of them, so he labels me a liar and shit-stirrer, since I'm a nobody. I posted the problems, he didn't like, he uses me as the excuse.

Byrne then posts he received only one letter from Marvel, dated the day before he pulled the print, but never said what was in the letter. And it should be noted that I also posted that my source had told me Marvel Legal sent him something on the 6th, but I did not know what. I was told though, that he wouldn't like it!

So now I have been getting threats against my family, have others using anagrams of my name to post there, they are taking pictures from my site and defacing them, and basically slamming me every which way to Sunday, saying I think I'm a martyr and a crusader…when all I did was ask some questions.

I have also been told it was none of my business to report the items, let alone go to the John Byrne Fansite and ask him of them.

I apologized for the bad joke. I won't apologize for trying to get info on a story.
Considering that I have been threatened, slandered, accused of things I didn't do, had my picture defaced, and my parenting skills questioned…I think they tend to go way over the limit of fanboy zeal, when their idol is questioned....

And the many times I tried to quit the board, I did return to either defend myself from false accusations, while they continued to bait me (of which some worked [img]/resources/ubb/frown.gif[/img]) just to continue it for their amusement in flaming me more.

Please expect many follow-ups to this from Byrne board members. I am sure that they will use their idols tendancies for revisionism to full use, as they have been doing now for a few days, by stating events out of order, misquoting my posts, and using other's false postings as mine.

For a complete run-down of the events, you can visit my mess-board and look at "Historical Overview" in 4 parts HERE

[This message has been edited by Glenn Barbis (edited 11-13-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Glenn Barbis (edited 11-13-2001).]

WHere are your interviews with Jemas? I'd like to read them.

- Ted DiBiase

#479237 - 12/02/01 11:17 PM Re: Comicon.com Fixture Glenn Barbis vs. Long-Time Industry Star John Byrne and his Posse
Glenn Barbis Jr Offline

Loc: Nowhere, Pa.
The thread that just won't die. [img]/resources/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

-------------------

^^"WHere are your interviews with Jemas? I'd like to read them."^^

Here's a direct link to "Taking Five with Bill Jemas"

And here's the direct link to the "T5w Archives" which include interviews with Joe Quesada, Brian Bendis, Beau Smith, and more.

Enjoy!

-------------------------

Now then...move along...move along. There's nothing more to see! [img]/resources/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

#479238 - 12/03/01 07:10 AM Re: Comicon.com Fixture Glenn Barbis vs. Long-Time Industry Star John Byrne and his Posse
Stevemc Offline

Loc: England
Quote:
Originally posted by Bobbie Subgum:
Stevemc posted:
>>"So that would be a yes then [img]/resources/ubb/smile.gif[/img]"

I refuse to answer, on the grounds it may incrimenate me! [img]/resources/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

palsunstar posted:
>>"Ever hear of the vocal minority and the silent majority? Think about it! [img]/resources/ubb/smile.gif[/img]"<<

Hmmm...I would venture to say that the 25-30 Byrne fans are stuck on his board, and refuse to go forth into the light. [img]/resources/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

To be perfectly honest any answer you gave was going to incriminate you [img]/resources/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

#479239 - 12/09/01 11:12 PM Re: Comicon.com Fixture Glenn Barbis vs. Long-Time Industry Star John Byrne and his Posse
Zelif Offline

Loc: chatham co GA USA
Amazingly, Mr. Barbis, "Comicoc.com fixture" can't seem to let it go, as he would have us all do. See the silliness at his site, or rather, DON'T, as that is all he wants; more hits on his own site. Besides, there are so many ads popping up, it'll make you think of fireworks.

Darren A. Dew

#479240 - 12/09/01 11:51 PM Re: Comicon.com Fixture Glenn Barbis vs. Long-Time Industry Star John Byrne and his Posse
Glenn Barbis Jr Offline

Uh...Darren...first off...I've not discussed this for a long time now. So again, the contigent is worng.

Second...my site has no pop-ups, as you refer to. And there are no paid ads on it as well. The only money I get for anything on my site, is from selling comics. So once more...you're talking out your ass.

Now then, if you are refering to my MESSAGE BOARD...that's a different story. That does have pop-ups, because of the host, but come the new-year,they will be gone. And as far as the discussions there, I have no say in who posts what. Bobby posted some things, and I responded. I posted a tid-bit or two, but otherwise, have done nothing to start the whole mess back up again.

I think the fact that a few of the "chosen" refuse to let it die, and must continually harp on something that has long burned out, goes a long way in showing who really likes to "stir the shit" so to speak.

If you don't like me or my site/board...don't visit. I don't force you there.

I've refused to even lurk "over there" anymore, as I want nothing more to do with the esteemed creator and his loyal fanatics.

So why don't you do the same.

Happy Holidays.

#479241 - 12/09/01 11:52 PM Re: Comicon.com Fixture Glenn Barbis vs. Long-Time Industry Star John Byrne and his Posse
Zelif Offline

Loc: chatham co GA USA
Its unbelievable that GB won't just let this die. Now he's borrowing clips from Byrne's fansite, and here (I assume) to rant about Erik Larsen. If you want it to go away, GB, let it! Sure wish I were a "Comicon.com fixture".
------------------
Darren A. Dew

My bad, here, peeps. As the first message didn't appear after, like twenty minutes, i posted the second. For my retort, see my reply. Sorry!

[This message has been edited by Zelif (edited 12-10-2001).]

#479242 - 12/09/01 11:58 PM Re: Comicon.com Fixture Glenn Barbis vs. Long-Time Industry Star John Byrne and his Posse
MCP Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Zelif:
Its unbelievable that GB won't just let this die. Now he's borrowing clips from Byrne's fansite, and here (I assume) to rant about Erik Larsen. If you want it to go away, GB, let it! Sure wish I were a "Comicon.com fixture".

Dude, you're the one who brought it up after 6 days. Give it a rest.

Hey, can anyone tell me when Byrne fans became the dittoheads of the comics community?

[This message has been edited by MCP (edited 12-10-2001).]

Member of KELP

In New York now, not Atlanta

#479243 - 12/10/01 12:02 AM Re: Comicon.com Fixture Glenn Barbis vs. Long-Time Industry Star John Byrne and his Posse
Glenn Barbis Jr Offline

First, I want to thank Darren for taking the time to register to post on my board.

Now then...the "Byrne post" you say I lifted, is not from HIS board, but the Savage Dragon board. Read a little bit, and you'll see, instead of rushing in to defend someone without comprhending.

Second...the quote from Byrne was from AOL. And it was posted to Larsen's board by someone else. Not my fault there, as well.

Seems you guys just want to make mountains out of molehills, and keep chasing me all over hell and creation...and for what? Why??

I'm glad you have so little to do in your life, that you feel the need to run around screaming about things that nobody cares about anymore, and haven't for weeks now.

Yeah...fanaticism goes a loooong way!

Oh...and since you seem so concerned with my site getting hits, it averages about 200 a day. The message board has had over 900 hits in just three weeks.

Not to shabby for a piddly dunk little site run by a nobody. [img]/resources/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

Now then, if you're thru persuing me, I'll be off to tend to important things that have nothing to do with a certain comic-book creator.

***Oh...and to clarify...I'm not, nor ever have "ranted about Erik Larsen." The post he is refering to on my mess-board, is by Erik Larsen, ranting about John Byrne, because someone posted his AOL response there.

If you go to the Savage Dragon Forum, search for Erik's posts titled "John Byrne Is A Boob!"

Also...I only posted it to MY BOARD, so why you needed to post your raving here, is beyond me.

Who's craving attention...???***

[This message has been edited by Glenn Barbis (edited 12-10-2001).]

Page 23 of 24 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 >