Page 3 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 23 24 >
Topic Options
#479034 - 11/14/01 12:34 PM Re: Comicon.com Fixture Glenn Barbis vs. Long-Time Industry Star John Byrne and his Posse
Glenn Barbis Jr Offline

Loc: Nowhere, Pa.
Sorry Kinota, I misinterprted your post.

I thought the statement of "getting a rise" was for the MOC print item.

I apologize.

As for the interview and what you quoted, again, my fault. I should have stated more clearly that Jemas used it to get the rise, since my interviews are more for fun or promotion, rather than any in-depth expose or news related.

Again, I apologize.

#479035 - 11/14/01 02:30 PM Re: Comicon.com Fixture Glenn Barbis vs. Long-Time Industry Star John Byrne and his Posse
The OC Offline

Hey, Glenn -- I just noticed that you've posted over there today.

I thought you were banned?

------------------
"Thanks, Otto. Your fool-sensor™ seems okay to me!"
-- Superlative Stuart Moore, former DC and current Marvel Knights editor,
to popular Otto Chelman, 26 September 2001

"You have [my] contempt." -- Alan Light to disappointed TBG subscriber.

#479036 - 11/14/01 03:20 PM Re: Comicon.com Fixture Glenn Barbis vs. Long-Time Industry Star John Byrne and his Posse
Glenn Barbis Jr Offline

No...I was banned in Sept/Oct for the Jemas episode (and I did take it too far that time, but all in the name of Gutters-style fun!). But I changed internet providers since, so along came a new batch of numbers.

I asked to be banned this time, so the baiting would stop. Apparently it didn't happen as of then. I haven't been back since.

And I didn't ban that guy from my board. I had two IP's on the banned list, for posting as people I knew.

One posted as someone the Byrne board already hates more than me, and that person, when I emailed him, said he had never been to my board.

The second posted as two of my friends. Two posts, seconds apart, from different people but the exact same IP, and since I know them, know they live in North Carolina and Canada.

So that was why they were banned.

His IP's from his other posts were completely different, from each other, and the other two, and I have no clue as to why he couldn't post (assuming he's being truthful).

I felt I should at least address the problem, since he was blaming me for bannng him due to his difference of opinion.

I also spoke to the webmaster there, and he was going to remove the pictures of me, but they had already been taken down. He was good enough to reply to my request on the matter, and was very civil in his email to me, which I thought was very refreshing.

#479037 - 11/14/01 03:21 PM Re: Comicon.com Fixture Glenn Barbis vs. Long-Time Industry Star John Byrne and his Posse
ChrisW Offline

Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska USA
? How do you get to the discussion board from that link? I have to keep going further and further back in the News Form on this board to find the one link I know of.

"I think ChrisW is the funniest man in entertainment still alive..."
-- the perceptive Tom Spurgeon

#479038 - 11/14/01 04:15 PM Re: Comicon.com Fixture Glenn Barbis vs. Long-Time Industry Star John Byrne and his Posse
The OC Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW:
? How do you get to the discussion board from that link? I have to keep going further and further back in the News Form on this board to find the one link I know of.

There's a "message boards" button on the left-hand side of the screen.

------------------
"Thanks, Otto. Your fool-sensor™ seems okay to me!"
-- Superlative Stuart Moore, former DC and current Marvel Knights editor,
to popular Otto Chelman, 26 September 2001

"You have [my] contempt." -- Alan Light to disappointed TBG subscriber.

#479039 - 11/14/01 05:08 PM Re: Comicon.com Fixture Glenn Barbis vs. Long-Time Industry Star John Byrne and his Posse
Elayne Riggs Offline

Loc: Bronx, NY, USA
That message board, like CBR's, is nigh un-navigable. Drives me nuts. I think all of us who've discovered the joys of UBB and VBB are spoiled. [img]/resources/ubb/smile.gif[/img] Fortunately, I was able to talk Ryan Bedard into changing his Alan Davis message board to UBB. God knows what format he used for the old board, but it wasn't terribly user-friendly. I hope John and CBR make the switch too soon...

And you're right, Otto, John's never made a secret out of his e-mail address, it's readily accessible. Saying "I have no way of contacting him personally" is just poor journalism. Speaking of which:

Quote:
And with the way he comments on Marvel all the time, and trashes people like Quesada & Jemas, on that message board, why is it wrong for me to ask for info on a news item there?

Glenn, I should think this would be self-evident. If you know it's a sore spot -- and how could you not given your quote above? -- you're just rubbing salt in an open wound by publicly asking for more information re: Jemas and/or Quesada and/or Marvel. As you've now discovered, you're not going to accomplish anything that way besides stirring up more animosity and calling attention to yourself. Plus, you do yourself and other comics "journalists" a disservice by demonstrating, at the least, a lack of forethought and, at the most, a lack of social skills. (See past Comicon threads about creator deaths, among other topics, for further examples of poor comics "journalism.") Neither does it help your cause to admit

Quote:
I posted it on my site, originally as a rumor, with no names attached.

This kind of confession, IMHO, basically paints you as a rumor-spreader rather than a journalist, and sends out a red flag that you don't want to be taken seriously.

- Elayne

#479040 - 11/14/01 05:28 PM Re: Comicon.com Fixture Glenn Barbis vs. Long-Time Industry Star John Byrne and his Posse
Glenn Barbis Jr Offline

Elayne...I don't portray myself as a journalist. I never admitted to being a journalist, or even feel I am a writer.

I post items that have a relevance to the comic industry. That section of my site even states "News/Rumors/Gossip." The item was posted as a rumor originally,as many other sites do as well (and I'm not saying that's right or wrong, only that it's done).

I'm not going to get into another pissing contest of what everyone thinks I should know/do/say. I did what I did...and it's done.

I know that I set out to get some info on a rumor, that I posted as such. I feel that I did nothing wrong, except for the joke I made.

I still don't think it was on a level of people emailing me and my children threats.

If you (or anyone else) feel I was wrong in anything, that's your opinion, and I'm fine with that.

I responded to this post to give Otto the info he asked for. Not to get involved in another battle over semantics and journalistic integrity.

#479041 - 11/14/01 05:41 PM Re: Comicon.com Fixture Glenn Barbis vs. Long-Time Industry Star John Byrne and his Posse
Howard Offline

Elayne:
I would agree about posting the rumor, only if it wasn't specifically labelled as such (and not having seen it, I can't say that it was or wasn't.) If it was clearly labelled, then I can't see the difference between that and "All The Rage" which has made quite a following printing rumors along with its facts.

Glenn:
If Byrne got mad at your article, that's too bad for him. However, enjoining him on his own mess-board in argumentation will certainly impact any opportunities to interview Byrne in the future, should the need arise. I've had a piece of mine labelled as a smear article by one of the interviewees quoted therein, but we were able to maintain a civility with each other, and an opening for working together on future articles if the future warranted them.

My pair o' pennies.

#479042 - 11/14/01 06:24 PM Re: Comicon.com Fixture Glenn Barbis vs. Long-Time Industry Star John Byrne and his Posse
Glenn Barbis Jr Offline

Thanks Howard. I appreciate it.

I did post it as a rumor on my site. Plain, clear and simple. And I even kept it up the whole time, just adding to it with updates, as Byrne gave me one piece of info, and I recieved other notes from my source (and they were labled "rumor" or "from my source" as well).

**Since my site is undergoing an overhaul, you can still view the original posting at my board, using the link I provided above.**

As for interviewing Byrne...I like his work, but ever since I first met him as a fan in 1993, I have not cared for him as a person, so I wouldn't try to interview him.

But I didn't go into this with an intent to "get" JB. I just asked questions pertaining to the rumors.

And maybe my dislike for him personally, is why I mistakenly made the joke. It was wrong of me, and I admitted it.

Believe me, I have learned my lesson, especially when dealing with someone with a fanbase like his.

[This message has been edited by Glenn Barbis (edited 11-14-2001).]

#479043 - 11/15/01 09:23 AM Re: Comicon.com Fixture Glenn Barbis vs. Long-Time Industry Star John Byrne and his Posse
Elayne Riggs Offline

Loc: Bronx, NY, USA
Ah, apologies then, Glenn. I didn't realize you didn't actually consider yourself a journalist. I must therefore conclude that you went looking for trouble by asking news-related questions with no real purpose, and obviously you found it.

- Elayne

Page 3 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 23 24 >