Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#480580 - 12/17/01 07:19 PM [MINI-RANT] Clearing the Air on DK2
Chris Knowles Offline

Loc: USA
I know I've gotten a lot of stick for Miller bashing here, and I think my reactions are more aimed at his uncritical admirers more than the work itself, but as someone who cares about Miller's work I can't be silent about his decline anymore, especially when it seems so obvious and yet so unnecessary to me.

The fact of the matter is that ,once upon a time, Frank Miller was my all-time favorite Comics creator and I would read his books over and over and over. But after his return from Hollywood, to me a pod-person Frank Miller took his place. All of a sudden his work, which was once so grounded in Realism, became surreal in all the wrong ways. The humane Catholicism that once informed his work was replaced by nihilism, misanthropy and sexual sadism. I kept waiting for the real Frank Miller to return and was hoping against hope he'd come back for DK2, but to me it's just Sin City in drag.

I may seem unduly harsh, and I'm sure Frank doesn't care, but I wouldn't spend so much time railing about this if I didn't care. I think Frank has lost his way and his Amen Corner isn't helping any. The fact of the matter is that DK2 has aroused very little real excitement in fan circles and the only thing people are talking about is the preorder numbers. My local retailer had pretty healthy stacks of his resolicitation on the racks on Sunday. I wonder how many people bought number one out of nostalgia will be back for number two. It's going to be interesting to watch.

I don't want Frank Miller to become the Michael Jackson of comics. He's too talented for that (jeez, so is Michael Jackson, come to think of it). But I think for the past several years Frank's work has been getting two reactions- polite recognition from most folks and drooling raves from his fanatics. And neither is doing him any good. DK2 is subpar work, that cannot be argued. And as his work declines, his near-messianic rhetoric escalates and that is very worrisome to me. I don't see much real critical analysis of his work and I think he needs it, just like any other artist.

Not having top-notch Frank Miller work out there has been an empty experience for me. It's kind of like how Rock fans felt after the Beatles broke up.

#480581 - 12/17/01 07:45 PM Re: [MINI-RANT] Clearing the Air on DK2
me Offline

Loc: hicksvilee, fl (former brookly...
you mean you don't like it because it's not preaching christian morals?

what about robin, i thought that the churchies hate little boys in green tights.

ha
but i guess you are right about that to some extent, it's batman. But then again, it's not just batman, it's the dark night batman. Not blue and yellow with little boy robin telling kids to brush their teech batman.
Dark Knight Batman...
http://ihbor2.homestead.com/comic.html

"well i guess that's why they call him bib fortuna..." - skinflint (to the tune of elton john's "i guess that's why they call it the blues")

#480582 - 12/17/01 08:00 PM Re: [MINI-RANT] Clearing the Air on DK2
NatGertler Offline

Quote:
I may seem unduly harsh, and I'm sure Frank doesn't care, but I wouldn't spend so much time railing about this if I didn't care.
"Oh no! Frank is doing work for other-people-who-aren't-me! This is something that I must care violently about!"
Quote:
I think Frank has lost his way
Lost his way toward what goal? Toward doing work tailored specifically to you? I doubt that was his goal. To putting forth his own vision? He seems to have that well in hand.
Quote:
DK2 is subpar work, that cannot be argued.
What an idiotic statement. Of course that can be argued, and it has been. It is, after all, a matter of taste.
Quote:
I don't see much real critical analysis of his work and I think he needs it, just like any other artist.
I don't see you offering it. I've seen you try to put down the work out of hand. I've seen you try to attack Miller's personal political views. These aren't critical analysis of the work. If you feel the need to do critical analysis, then go for it -- but what come across like someone who is very bitter because someone turned out an artwork which is not your cuppa tea.

#480583 - 12/17/01 09:23 PM Re: [MINI-RANT] Clearing the Air on DK2
Captain Testicles Offline

Loc: Pudendum, Mi
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Knowles:

Not having top-notch Frank Miller work out there has been an empty experience for me. It's kind of like how Rock fans felt after the Beatles broke up.

BOO HOO HOO

why don't you face that IT"S OVER???!!?

#480584 - 12/18/01 01:31 AM Re: [MINI-RANT] Clearing the Air on DK2
fumetti Offline

Man, you need to chill!

"I think my reactions are more aimed at his uncritical admirers more than the work itself"

Obviously, since you've not offered a scintilla of critical analysis yourself. And, why do you intentionally ignore all the "critical" admiration that's been proffered thus far? A critique does not necessitate a negative assessment.

"I kept waiting for the real Frank Miller to return"

That statement asserts that Frank Miller is not allowed to GROW as a person or creator and develop his life-philosophies further than whatever previous stage it is YOU prefer. If your assessment of Miller is true (and that's open to debate), then it's quite likely that his trips to Hollywood CONTRIBUTED to his jaded views--a not-uncommon effect.

"The fact of the matter is that DK2 has aroused very little real excitement in fan circles and the only thing people are talking about is the preorder numbers."

Since I see your posts all through the non-preorder-oriented DK2 threads, I can only believe you're talking out of your wazoo here.

"But I think for the past several years Frank's work has been getting two reactions- polite recognition from most folks and drooling raves from his fanatics."

Heh. YOU set the response-o-meter range from "it's good" to "it's freakin' awesome." Maybe you should take note that you have--by your own estimate--a VERY minority view on Miller's work. Making the next statement--

"DK2 is subpar work, that cannot be argued."

--a case of YOU arguing with YOURSELF. By your OWN words, it CAN be argued!

"I don't see much real critical analysis of his work and I think he needs it, just like any other artist."

Put up or shut up. Give us a "real" dissenting "critical analysis"--one that will explain to Miller himself what he's done wrong-- or quit whining about it.

"Not having top-notch Frank Miller work out there has been an empty experience for me."

THIS is where your real point is being made. YOU don't like DK2, and you can't stand it that somebody else DOES. You can't be happy unless we all hate it WITH you.

Sorry, but DK2 is a good comic. Considering all the RE-orders being made, most comic buyers agree.

#480585 - 12/18/01 03:20 AM Re: [MINI-RANT] Clearing the Air on DK2
Charles Reece Offline

Loc: us of fuckin' a
Today snobbery, tomorrow nihilism!

#480586 - 12/18/01 06:40 AM Re: [MINI-RANT] Clearing the Air on DK2
JohnEWIlliams Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
Boy, Nate sure can get crabby.

#480587 - 12/18/01 07:53 AM Re: [MINI-RANT] Clearing the Air on DK2
Chris Knowles Offline

Loc: USA
I'll you smartasses what- let's wait a year or two before we decide what the value of this work is. We can all reconvene and see what impact the book has had, what the sales trends were, what kind of reaction it has had among other creators and most importantly, see who has followed its lead. That will be the true test of this work. I'm done arguing about it. It's really not that important. If Miller's "personal vision" is to write like Mickey Spillane on a crack binge and people like that, more power to you all.

#480588 - 12/18/01 08:58 AM Re: [MINI-RANT] Clearing the Air on DK2
Ayo Offline

Loc: New York
I'm not a smartass;

but what are you TALKING about? since when is "realism" equivilent to "quality?"

if you don't see the brilliance of Sin City, then maybe you're close-minded.

almost none of the comics I read are strictly "realist," but that doesn't make them BAD...there's a difference between "representationalism" and "good art."

and for Christian morals, you should do your own soul-searching and not look to others to reinforce your views.

#480589 - 12/18/01 09:05 AM Re: [MINI-RANT] Clearing the Air on DK2
Bill Hicks Offline

Loc: Ohio
Quote:
let's wait a year or two before we decide what the value of this work is.

Isn't the value of this or any comic in the enjoyment it brings to those who are reading it now? Maybe you were expecting too much.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >