Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#480778 - 12/21/01 03:07 PM Stan Used To Do It With Charm, Wit, and a Sense of Belonging.
Matt Hawes Offline

Loc: Evansville, IN U.S.A.
http://www.comicon.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/000098.html

The current regime at Marvel does it with condescension, snideness, unprofessionalism and bullie-ish glee.

I used to read Stan Lee's "Bullpen Bulletins", letter page replies, and interviews and feel that Marvel was a place that liked you as a fan. It was one big, friendly, happy place that made you think you were in for a good time at the "House of Ideas" and you were a member of the family.

Even if the behind-the-scenes were a bit more mundane, and not so chummy, at least Marvel used to care enough about fans and retailers, and everyone else to put on the smile and make you feel welcomed.

The new regime... It's a gang of schoolyard bullies who laugh at you and mock you (anyone read the delightful, very adult response Bill Jemas shot off to Mark Alessi in "Wizard"?). They take a "You are with us or against us" stance and speak down, not to, fans, retailers, and other industry people. The jeer, sneer, and scoff.

The message is clear: "We are right, no matter what you say. And if you don't think so, you are an idiot. Now buy our books!!"

They issue responses to provoke. Hey, buds, you succeed at that! Sure, it gets attention. --- The same kind of attention junior gets for crapping his pants intentionally, just so people will make him the topic of discussion. That's pathetic, but it works!

Marvel, the old Marvel, the REAL Marvel, the REAL "House of Ideas" that didn't need to rip-off Vertigo, Chaos, and themselves, were about INCLUSION.

The new Marvel; It's all about EXCLUSION.

I don't feel they want me as a retailer OR a fan. I don't think they care about anyone. It's all about the money and getting attention to make that money, period.

Merry Christmas, Marvel.

------------------
Matthew Hawes
COMICS UNLIMITED
Evansville, IN

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
Evansville, Indiana 47711
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#480779 - 12/21/01 03:18 PM Re: Stan Used To Do It With Charm, Wit, and a Sense of Belonging.
Steve Hogan Offline

Loc: Burlington, VT 05401
I thought Stan used to do it by ripping off Jack Kirby.

#480780 - 12/21/01 03:23 PM Re: Stan Used To Do It With Charm, Wit, and a Sense of Belonging.
Matt Hawes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hogan:
I thought Stan used to do it by ripping off Jack Kirby.

ZZZZZZ... Wha--? Oh you weren't trying to be predictable?

I'm sorry, did Jack promote the comics? I was referring to that, y'know: The promotion and customer/retailer relations, not the creative side of things.

But don't let that stop you from the much-anticipated Stan-bash posts.

------------------
Matthew Hawes
COMICS UNLIMITED
Evansville, IN

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#480781 - 12/21/01 04:13 PM Re: Stan Used To Do It With Charm, Wit, and a Sense of Belonging.
RANDY Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
I've suspected for a while that the current regime at Marvel had received all their training in PR, employer-employee relations and customer service from THE JIM SHOOTER SCHOOL OF ETIQUETTE. Shooter coming back to the fold confirms it.

#480782 - 12/21/01 05:38 PM Re: Stan Used To Do It With Charm, Wit, and a Sense of Belonging.
Steve Hogan Offline

Loc: Burlington, VT 05401
Time to switch to decaf Matt, it was a fucking joke.

Please don't let me interfere with your tirade about how a corporation has stopped pretending to be your bestest buddy.

#480783 - 12/21/01 08:06 PM Re: Stan Used To Do It With Charm, Wit, and a Sense of Belonging.
Matt Hawes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hogan:
Time to switch to decaf Matt, it was a fucking joke.

Please don't let me interfere with your tirade about how a corporation has stopped pretending to be your bestest buddy.

Ooooohhhh... It was a joke. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH....HEH...AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA...*SNORTLE*...

whew! Good one. You should hit the circuit with that wit.

------------------
Matthew Hawes
COMICS UNLIMITED
Evansville, IN

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#480784 - 12/21/01 09:05 PM Re: Stan Used To Do It With Charm, Wit, and a Sense of Belonging.
Edwin Bravenech Jr Offline

Steve Hogan is one of the wittiest men on these or any boards I've seen. [img]/resources/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

#480785 - 12/21/01 11:04 PM Re: Stan Used To Do It With Charm, Wit, and a Sense of Belonging.
QCCBob Offline

Loc: Cincinnati OH
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Hawes:
I don't feel they want me as a retailer OR a fan. I don't think they care about anyone. It's all about the money and getting attention to make that money, period.

Merry Christmas, Marvel.

[/B]

AMEN!! BTW, are you experiencing the same severe drop off on your X-books like we are in Cincinnati? What these idiots don't realize is while they create hype, people read the books, see the recycled plots, see the inconsistant art and shipping dates missed, and QUIT believing the hype and buying the books. I just dropped Uncanny by 35 copies, never thought anyone could do a book THAT bad and run off the X-Zombies!!!! At least Morrison can do an original plot like teasing with Jean and a Phoenix-effect, never seen that in a X-title before. LOL I only had to drop New X-men by 10 copies.

#480786 - 12/21/01 11:11 PM Re: Stan Used To Do It With Charm, Wit, and a Sense of Belonging.
JohnEWIlliams Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
It also turns out those women in PLAYBOY only look like they want to sleep with you.

#480787 - 12/22/01 12:09 AM Re: Stan Used To Do It With Charm, Wit, and a Sense of Belonging.
Eel O'Brian Offline

Loc: North Kackalackee
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Hawes:
Ooooohhhh... It was a joke. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH....HEH...AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA...*SNORTLE*...

whew! Good one. You should hit the circuit with that wit.

Steve Hogan is the Mick Foley of Comicon.
You need to grow a thicker skin, and recognize superb wit, parody, and satire when you see it. Come to the gutters sometime and experience his comedy stylings - they often make my day.

- Kevin

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >