Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#480818 - 12/29/01 05:16 PM Re: Stan Used To Do It With Charm, Wit, and a Sense of Belonging.
Lew Stringer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Speed Racer:
Ahh, and there's the rub. Compare the literacy and sophistication of ANY letters, articles, etc. in '60s/'70s publications of any sort to "today's dumbass missives," and you'll be astounded at how far literacy levels have dropped in just 30 years. Of course, that couldn't have anything to do with the fact that funding for education has continued to deteriorate every single year since then? (Sure, they raise the number of dollars every now and then, but never enough to keep up with education's "cost of living.") It's not just that subsequent generations of comic fandom got "dumber," it's been happening to our entire country.

How much of a correlation do you think there is between that and the fact that the arguably best-educated generation we every produced, the Baby Boomers, also turned out to be the hardest to control?

Very good point. Bleedin' kids today! Grumble....gripe...

#480819 - 12/29/01 07:05 PM Re: Stan Used To Do It With Charm, Wit, and a Sense of Belonging.
MCP Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA
I'd just like to point out that the title of this thread could be taken in an extremely unintended manner. Continue.

------------------
Don't argue with me. I'm a college student. I know everything.

Member of KELP

In New York now, not Atlanta

#480820 - 12/30/01 03:19 PM Re: Stan Used To Do It With Charm, Wit, and a Sense of Belonging.
Matt Hawes Offline

Loc: Evansville, IN U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally posted by MCP:
I'd just like to point out that the title of this thread could be taken in an extremely unintended manner. Continue.

Yeah, but it did what I intended it to do.

It made you look.

[img]/resources/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

------------------
Matthew Hawes
COMICS UNLIMITED
Evansville, IN

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
Evansville, Indiana 47711
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#480821 - 12/30/01 06:38 PM Re: Stan Used To Do It With Charm, Wit, and a Sense of Belonging.
metron Offline

Marvel in the old days had an advantage over the Marvel of today in that there was newsstand distribution. I have no way of knowing how many outlets there were during the '60s, but I bet there were many more places to buy comics then than there are now, another reason that comics sold more. Of course, comics probably sold a lot more, but Marvel, DC, and the other comics companies were getting ripped off by racketeering national and local distributors, one reason why sales figures from that time period are not entirely trustworthy. As for Stan, he would rib the competition, but it was all in fun. With Bill Jemas, it may be all in fun, but it is hard to know for sure.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5