Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#481038 - 08/16/00 05:54 PM A Small Piece of the Wizard Puzzle
Glenn Barbis Jr Offline

Loc: Nowhere, Pa.
Well, after a bunch of digging, I found a piece of the puzzle to show what Wizard is capable of.
The following is from Wizard #103 April 2000, and the article is titled "Tech War." As the lead-in states...

"Wizard's staff writer lie, cheat, and squeal their way through internet auction sites to see who can score the biggest comic swag"

Violation #1- "The Evil that men do.

"...Mike goes online and badmouths Chris all over eBay's auction site and comic book chat rooms, warning people what a theif and scoundral Chris is."

From eBay's rules...

"5.3 Fraud. Without limiting any other remedies, eBay may suspend or terminate your account if you are found (by conviction, settlement, insurance or escrow investigation, or otherwise) to have engaged in fraudulent activity in connection with our site."

**I would say that misrepresenting someone constitutes fraud**
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Violation #2a- "Their mission? To go online and use just cash and Wizard giveaways to buy, trade, and bamboozle their way to collecting three of five prized back issues..."

#2b- Money Talks- "...to use Wizard's digital camera so he can photograph his Wizard giveaways and post them on eBay."

From eBay's rules...

"Bonuses, giveaways, raffles and prizes
Listings that promote bonus items, giveaways, or random drawings or prizes as an enticement for bidders are not permitted on eBay as these promotions are illegal lotteries in many states.
Policy: These types of listings are not permitted and will be ended. The insertion fee will be automatically credited for that listing."

**Pretty self-explanatory**
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Violation #3- The New Deal- "Because of high prices, Chris decides to ditch auctions all together. Instead, he targets individuals who have either just bought the books, or failed to sell them."

From eBay's rules...

"Listing Techniques that circumvent eBay's fee structure
Users may not use systems or techniques to interfere with the proper working of the eBay site, which includes the circumvention of the eBay fees. Some examples include:
 Listings with low bid prices, but unreasonably high shipping costs
 Dutch Avoidance (see description below)
 Selling an item that requires an additional purchase from the seller
 Items offered for direct sale (not through eBay)
 Catalog sales (see description below)
 Listings with an e-mail address or domain name in the title
Policy: These types of listings are not permitted and will be ended. The insertion fee will be automatically credited for that listing."

**Again, pretty self-explanatory**
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And I've emailed eBay to clarify a few more points, and the above as well.

So we now see how Wizard would manipulate eBay for the sake of a stupid contest/article.

So what's to stop them from manipulating it for the sake of hyping their vested interest in CGC?

(...and this is just a part of what's going on.)

Oh...and I already have the proof of how they go on other sites, posing as fans, to flame people who put down Gatecrasher & Wizard, & tout how Gatecrasher is "...selling great!"
...and they've done it on their own site, as well.

Gee...what morals these Wizard Editors have.

Hmmmmm...???

#481039 - 08/16/00 05:58 PM Re: A Small Piece of the Wizard Puzzle
jack Offline

Loc: Just south of NYC
SPOT ON GLENN!!!!!

#481040 - 08/18/00 08:22 PM Re: A Small Piece of the Wizard Puzzle
Howard Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Barbis:
So what's to stop them from manipulating it for the sake of hyping their vested interest in CGC?

Glenn:

I'm interested in seeing your article when it is published (and where will that be, btw?), so we can see what the "vested interest" Wizard has in CGC. My source with CGC (whom I've passed on to you for your research) continues to state that Wizard was excluded from the onset of the formation of the CGC.

------------------
Howard Price
Staff Writer
TheComicStore.com

[This message has been edited by Howard (edited 08-18-2000).]

#481041 - 08/18/00 10:35 PM Re: A Small Piece of the Wizard Puzzle
Tad Offline

Loc: St. Augustine FL
I have no love of Wizard but

"#2b- Money Talks- "...to use Wizard's digital camera so he can photograph his Wizard giveaways and post them on eBay."

From eBay's rules...

"Bonuses, giveaways, raffles and prizes
Listings that promote bonus items, giveaways, or random drawings or prizes as an enticement for bidders are not permitted on eBay as these promotions are illegal lotteries in many states.

**Pretty self-explanatory**
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"

There is a difference between offering an item that was given away as an auction item and having an auction for an item which in addition to the item up for auction then goes on to promise Giveaways or raffles etc..

Regards Michael

------------------
Arriving one day if I can find the time is
http://www.discovercomics.com

#481042 - 08/19/00 12:08 AM Re: A Small Piece of the Wizard Puzzle
Glenn Barbis Jr Offline

Tad...you didn't read #2a. It never says "sell" only "...buy, trade, and bamboozle..."

And in the article, they state how they contacted people with items that didn't sell, to trade, which then conflicts with the "circumventing of eBay fees."

They never posted the items to sell, only to show what they had.

Howard...

The article is for something in the works, and right now I can't go into detail, as we are finalizing alot of things.

Also, I never said I was close to finishing it (as you stated to someone in the email you sent me), only I had a bunch of leads, but nothing concrete.

...and it isn't in Wiz owning or being involved directly with CGC, but there are some background players that have hid some things very well.

As soon as I have definitive proof (as of now, I only have "circumstantial evidence") I will gladly let everyone know. But until then, I'm not going to get too involved in discussions of my investigation.

Sorry, but I'm sure you understand.

#481043 - 08/19/00 07:55 AM Re: A Small Piece of the Wizard Puzzle
Tad Offline

Loc: St. Augustine FL
I went and reread it Glenn, I Guess what confused me was that 2b says, "...photograph his Wizard giveaways and post them on eBay"

Regards Michael

#481044 - 08/19/00 08:30 AM Re: A Small Piece of the Wizard Puzzle
Greg Offline

"...after a bunch of digging, I found a piece of the puzzle to show what Wizard is capable of."

"...we now see how Wizard would manipulate..."

"...I already have the proof..."

"As soon as I have definitive proof..."

"I'm not going to get too involved in discussions of my investigation..."

??

#481045 - 08/19/00 09:03 AM Re: A Small Piece of the Wizard Puzzle
Glenn Barbis Jr Offline

Greg, you are quoting me from 3 different stories/subjects...

>>"...after a bunch of digging, I found a piece of the puzzle to show what Wizard is capable of."<<
>>"...we now see how Wizard would manipulate..."<<

This is just about the eBay article from Wizard.

"...I already have the proof..."

This was taken from my comments on how they falsely represent themselves on other web sites to promote their own stuff. And I do have the proof (an email), from a "name" creator who found out about it happening on his site, and wasn't too pleased. Then after some checking, found the same names/profiles on the Wiz site, and others, doing the same thing.

>>"As soon as I have definitive proof..."<<

>>"I'm not going to get too involved in discussions of my investigation..."<<

These are from my discussion on another story I'm working on, that Howard mentions, that deals with some background manipulations and partnerships between Wiz/CGC.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

But hey...I like the way you try to make it all sound as if I'm talking of the same thing.

Nice try.

#481046 - 08/19/00 09:09 AM Re: A Small Piece of the Wizard Puzzle
Glenn Barbis Jr Offline

...and Tad.

They did post them on eBay, but not to sell.

It was set up to show the items, so people could see what the Wiz guys were offering them for trades. Not what they would sell.

The Wiz guys never sold anything. They only used cash, & traded. And most of what they did was illegal on eBay. Especially using eBay's message board (among others) to post false information for a stupid article.

I think that alone, shows what Wizard is capable of.

#481047 - 08/19/00 09:12 AM Re: A Small Piece of the Wizard Puzzle
Howard Offline

Glenn--
I completely understand the need for confidence before all the facts have been strung together. All I'm wondering right now is: Which magazine--online or otherwise--are you preparing this story for, so I know where to look for the article (and to read the other articles as well).

------------------
Howard Price
Staff Writer
TheComicStore.com

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >