Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#481602 - 12/12/01 04:44 AM Bottom line on DK2
Samuel Catalino Offline

First..DK2 is not as good as DK1...It could not be. It has too much to look up to.

Some folks love Miller's style, and some don't. That is the way it is.

Some folks will buy any Miller Batman book, and some will not. That is the way it is.

To call Millers' work art/genius or garbage is a subjective exercise.

#481603 - 12/12/01 09:28 AM Re: Bottom line on DK2
Mark Allen Offline

Loc: Northwestern Oklahoma
Possibly the most intelligent post on the subject of DK2 so far. Thanks, Catalino.

A YouTube page! That's..., something.
Four Color Commentary

#481604 - 12/12/01 09:47 AM Re: Bottom line on DK2
fumetti Offline

"------------------------------------------------------------------------
First..DK2 is not as good as DK1...It could not be. It has too much to look up to.

Some folks will buy any Miller Batman book, and some will not. That is the way it is.

To call Millers' work art/genius or garbage is a subjective exercise."

So....what's your point?

#481605 - 12/12/01 09:51 AM Re: Bottom line on DK2
fumetti Offline

"------------------------------------------------------------------------

To call Millers' work art/genius or garbage is a subjective exercise."

So....what's your point?

#481606 - 12/12/01 07:19 PM Re: Bottom line on DK2
jack Offline

Loc: Just south of NYC
In an earlier post in another thread, you state you have refused to buy the book up front.

So one would wonder how you could make any opinion pro or con, without having first read it.

#481607 - 12/12/01 10:53 PM Re: Bottom line on DK2
steel: A Long Departed Hero Online   content

Loc: The MBA (Mysterious Blue Area)...
DK2 is a fun book and exactly what I love about comics, a fantastic world with interesting characters embroiled in a never ending struggle. Inspires me to write. Couldn't anyone tell how much fun Miller was having with it? That is why it was worth doing. It's a good read. That's all you can ask for from a comic.

[This message has been edited by steel (edited 12-12-2001).]

#481608 - 12/13/01 01:49 AM Re: Bottom line on DK2
Anonymous
Unregistered

TBL is...was there anything that daring, that inventive, that orginal about DK2? ..no, not really. There WAS about DK1. It was a watershed, a milestone. Content wise, genre wise, and within that context even form wise. I am preaching to the choir. DK2 was within those boundries that Miller (and other pioneers) set before, and all were left with is...great entertainment. And that is not bad. I certainly think the level of literary/artistic quality is higher than 99% of all other superhero crap, but it's still well within the confines of the current definition of superhero genre work. It is, at best, (and this is not bad) what I refer to as "good crap".

------------------

#481609 - 12/13/01 04:13 AM Re: Bottom line on DK2
Samuel Catalino Offline

"In an earlier post in another thread, you state you have refused to buy the book up front.
So one would wonder how you could make any opinion pro or con, without having first read it."

Let me put it this way....I don't need to take poison to know it will kill me....

In the same vein, I don't need to read every page of this work to know that it does not appeal to me, and for me to assign the opinion I have about this work.

The opinions I stated above are quite objective and cover both sides. Then again, it does not surprise me that you could not comprehend such a concept. As one poster noted, I stated the obvious.

#481610 - 12/13/01 05:46 AM Re: Bottom line on DK2
jack Offline

Loc: Just south of NYC
Oh, so you didn't read it.

Fair enough.

#481611 - 12/13/01 01:17 PM Re: Bottom line on DK2
James Kochalka Offline

Loc: Burlington, VT USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Samuel Catalino:
As one poster noted, I stated the obvious.

I don't think saying that DK2 isn't as good as DK1 is something that you can honestly say without reading the book.

As far as the art goes... it's the most exciting looking superhero book in years. In fact, the visual style is much more radical than DK1, and the writing style is more radical as well. The art screams! It's like beefed up highschool art mixed with adrenaline pumping video games.
And it's written like sticking a story into a paper shredder. I think it's quite an acheivement.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >