Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#481612 - 12/13/01 01:24 PM Re: Bottom line on DK2
The OC Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Samuel Catalino:
The opinions I stated above are quite objective and cover both sides.

Opinions are not objective; they can't be.

------------------
"That fellow has set himself up as a critic of everything anyone else says."
-- Comicon.com member KarenW about popular Otto Chelman, 01 December 2001

"You have [my] contempt." -- Alan Light to disappointed TBG subscriber.

#481613 - 12/13/01 02:08 PM Re: Bottom line on DK2
MarcDeering Offline

Loc: Newport News, VA.
Quote:
Originally posted by Otto Chelman:
Opinions are not objective; they can't be.

What everyone, including Sam, needs to realize is this;
Opinions are like Assholes. Everyone's got one.

And Sam's opinion is unfounded, until he reads it. Simple as that.

------------------
Marc Deering
Embellisher
I BLEED black ink...
www.potlatchcomics.org
www.doubleeye.com
Potlatchcomics.org

#481614 - 12/13/01 10:23 PM Re: Bottom line on DK2
Samuel Catalino Offline

All of you rascals who insist I must read every panel of DK2 to have a judgement on it.

I don't need to shoot myself with a gun to know it will hurt.

I don't need to play in traffic to know I will get hit by a moving vehicle.

I dont need to jump in with a pool of sharks to know I may get bitten.

I don't need to jump in front of a water moccasin to know he/she is going to come after with me with fangs bared...

Get the picture???

#481615 - 12/13/01 10:56 PM Re: Bottom line on DK2
James Kochalka Offline

Loc: Burlington, VT USA
Quote:
All of you rascals who insist I must read every panel of DK2 to have a judgement on it.

I don't need to shoot myself with a gun to know it will hurt.

I don't need to play in traffic to know I will get hit by a moving vehicle.

I dont need to jump in with a pool of sharks to know I may get bitten.

I don't need to jump in front of a water moccasin to know he/she is going to come after with me with fangs bared...

Get the picture???

Yes, that's true. But you do need to read it in order to be able to say if it's worse than DK1 or not. Which you said without reading it.

#481616 - 12/14/01 04:49 AM Re: Bottom line on DK2
Samuel Catalino Offline

This is what I said:

"First..DK2 is not as good as DK1...It could not be. It has too much to look up to."

I base this on many facts. DK1 was groundbreaking in many factors. Too much is expected, and logically when that is the case, there is potential for disappointment. That is human nature.

Has DK2 outsell DK1? No, not even close.

Has DK2 become a new barometer for a new medium? No, remember that the DK1 was one of the first squarebacks that had immense success, helping to revolutionize the industry.

What new ground has DK2 broken? Other than bringing back a number of old dc heroes, do you honestly see any new ground breaking technique or storyline? I don't.

For the record, I liked the fact that Batman was drawn the way he was as it seemed to be realistic to his age. Now, he is slim and trim again. Not that it is not impossible, but Batman looked much more believable in DK1 for his age than in DK1. Of course that is my opinion.

#481617 - 12/14/01 05:21 AM Re: Bottom line on DK2
jack Offline

Loc: Just south of NYC
Sam, you don't have to buy the silly book, just go read the store's copy, and then come give your honest, informed opinion.

Try it, you might like what happens in the ensuing discussion.

Like, I'm with James. The book ROCKS. Pretty bright shiny jangly loud. I could care less if it changes the industry or has artistic merit. It was fun! Yes it rehashed some old things (Joket, Luthor) but look Catgirl is really fun, and Varley's colors take getting used to the same way ALLRED'S X-FORCE is now impacting that title, and that took MONTHS bubbaleh [img]/resources/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

Goodness, if your gonna pay 8 bucks for something, you should at least have a good time [img]/resources/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

#481618 - 12/14/01 07:54 AM Re: Bottom line on DK2
krackkomik Offline

Loc: Austin, TX. USA
I have posted in response to you before and this will be the last time I do so in anything you have to say.

In your fist post on another related forum subject you stated that you skimmed thru, deemed it unfit for you and said no one should waste thier money. Fine, you said your peace, but you post and post and post and offer nothing new to the discusion which you obviously can't because you haven't even taken the time to read it. You don't want to buy it cool, stop posting your same old opinion.

Then, you have the gall to post a new thread declaring the last word when no one cares about your uninformed opinion. Presumptions are all your facts are.

I don't know you personally and am only making a point. But Sheeesh.

Anyone posting thier opinion about a subject, please read the damn thing!

[This message has been edited by krackkomik (edited 12-14-2001).]

#481619 - 12/14/01 09:31 AM Re: Bottom line on DK2
James Kochalka Offline

Loc: Burlington, VT USA
Quote:

What new ground has DK2 broken? Other than bringing back a number of old dc heroes, do you honestly see any new ground breaking technique or storyline? I don't.

Yes. But I can understand that you wouldn't notice any groundbreaking storytelling techniques if you haven't read it.

I posted this on another site:

"As far as the art goes... it's the most exciting looking superhero book in years. In fact, the visual style is much more radical than DK1, and the writing style is more radical as well. The art screams! It's like beefed up highschool art mixed with adrenaline pumping video games.
And it's written like sticking a story into a paper shredder. I think it's quite an acheivement."

This book is nothing like DK1. DK1 is grim & gritty, and slow but tense. DK2 is very FAST, and it's tension comes not through slow and deliberate pacing, but through two hundred beats per minute techno action. This is the first comic book I've seen that perfectly translates the current state of youth culture. It's PUMPED UP in a way that no other comic has been. And it's not just pumped up, but pumped up with a style and finesse that others have never been able to match.

It's like listening to techno in one ear, while talking on your cell phone in another, while skateboarding through traffic, and you're talking about video games, then you get another call and put the first on call-waiting. In short, this book has the style that kids THINK they have.

So, yes, it is a groundbreaking story.

#481620 - 12/14/01 10:53 AM Re: Bottom line on DK2
snoid Offline

The bottom line for me is, I wish I could get a refund. That's not to say that anyone who liked it is a jerk, you liked it fine by me. I just thought it was poop.
Terry

[This message has been edited by snoid (edited 12-14-2001).]

#481621 - 12/14/01 10:53 AM Re: Bottom line on DK2
fumetti Offline

Huh?

Why does Frank Miller have to be "innovative" for his stories to be good?

Nobody ELSE in the industry is held to such a standard.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >