Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#481622 - 12/14/01 11:24 AM Re: Bottom line on DK2
Chris Knowles Offline

Loc: USA
The real bottom line on DKSA is how little reaction it has spawned here or on other sites and groups. I still haven't been able to find a review on it on any of the major Comics sites. No one seems to really care that much about it. Those who like it like it okay, but aren't passionate about it and those who dislike don't really seem to be animated about it one way or the other.

In other words, just another prestige format Batman series, with some flukish sales stats related to its pedigree and to AOLTW shilling. Ho hum.

PS I am amused by Kolchalka's comments, considering he's on record saying how much craftsmanships sucks and should be abolished. No wonder he likes DKSA.

#481623 - 12/14/01 11:56 AM Re: Bottom line on DK2
dylan_dup1 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Samuel Catalino:
"In an earlier post in another thread, you state you have refused to buy the book up front.
So one would wonder how you could make any opinion pro or con, without having first read it."

Let me put it this way....I don't need to take poison to know it will kill me....

In the same vein, I don't need to read every page of this work to know that it does not appeal to me, and for me to assign the opinion I have about this work.

The opinions I stated above are quite objective and cover both sides. Then again, it does not surprise me that you could not comprehend such a concept. As one poster noted, I stated the obvious.

You can't say one work is better without reading it and you're right it is obvious to say an opinion is subjective but you said more than that, attempting to give some objectivity to your opinion that DK2 could never be better than DK1. Under that opinion Godfather 2 couldn't have been better than Godfather 1.

#481624 - 12/14/01 01:56 PM Re: Bottom line on DK2
victorinox Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Knowles:
I still haven't been able to find a review on it on any of the major Comics sites.

You haven't been looking hard enough, or for that matter, you don't seem to have looked at all. Someone will be by to trot out the list of URLs soon, I'm sure.

#481625 - 12/14/01 03:34 PM Re: Bottom line on DK2
ChrisW Offline

Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska USA
Quote:
Let me put it this way....I don't need to take poison to know it will kill me...

But are you capable of determining something is poison with just a glancing look?

"I think ChrisW is the funniest man in entertainment still alive..."
-- the perceptive Tom Spurgeon

#481626 - 12/14/01 06:23 PM Re: Bottom line on DK2
Samuel Catalino Offline

"But are you capable of determining something is poison with just a glancing look?"

Irrelevant. You should have asked how do you know that particular poison can kill you? You would have had a stronger arguement.

#481627 - 12/14/01 06:27 PM Re: Bottom line on DK2
Samuel Catalino Offline

"Why does Frank Miller have to be "innovative" for his stories to be good?"

I only pointed out that it doesn't seem that Miller could top DK1.

DK2 is a decent story. I still have not read every panel and have no reason to.

#481628 - 12/14/01 06:30 PM Re: Bottom line on DK2
Samuel Catalino Offline

"You can't say one work is better without reading it and you're right it is obvious to say an opinion is subjective but you said more than that, attempting to give some objectivity to your opinion that DK2 could never be better than DK1. Under that opinion Godfather 2 couldn't have been better than Godfather 1."

Actually, although many people liked Godfather 2 better than 1 (the only sequel to garner an Oscar that I know of), I will stick with Godfather 1.

#481629 - 12/15/01 08:55 AM Re: Bottom line on DK2
victorinox Offline

#481630 - 12/15/01 11:00 AM Re: Bottom line on DK2
fumetti Offline

catalino, you're just making a fool of yourself by repeatedly trashing a book you admittedly have not read.

No logic can ever support your position, even if you are--by accident--right.

There ARE lingering issues with DK1, and that's all the "legitimate" reason Miller needs to continue his story.

A sequel doesn't HAVE to "top" the original, it just has to not REPEAT it. And DK2 certainly isn't just redoing DK1. It's a continuation.

Buy it or don't buy it. Like it or don't like it. That's up to you. But don't be so silly as to argue with people who HAVE READ the book. We have legs to stand on. You don't.

#481631 - 12/15/01 01:01 PM Re: Bottom line on DK2
ChrisW Offline

Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska USA
Quote:
"But are you capable of determining something is poison with just a glancing look?"

Irrelevant. You should have asked how do you know that particular poison can kill you? You would have had a stronger arguement.

How is it irrelevant? Does just looking at white powder tell you you're looking at anthrax, powdered sugar, cocaine or snowflakes?

"I think ChrisW is the funniest man in entertainment still alive..."
-- the perceptive Tom Spurgeon

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >