Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#481642 - 12/21/01 07:01 PM Re: Bottom line on DK2
MARC NATHAN Offline

Loc: REISTERSTOWN MARYLAND
As some of you know, I own a comic book store in the Baltimore area as well as running the Baltimore Comic-con. Sam lived in this area years ago and he and I were friends. From time to time we bump into each other at shows and try to stay in touch. He stopped by the store the other day on his way to holiday break. I told him that this thread was nutty yet the only thing that I felt was really unfair was ripping on the price. Anyone who has held this book in their hands knows that $7.95 was far from out of line. Sam BOUGHT Dark Knight 2. Now he can hate it for any reason he wants. I, on the other hand, liked it a lot. I hope we find out about Dick Grayson though...

#481643 - 12/21/01 07:10 PM Re: Bottom line on DK2
ChrisW Online   content

Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska USA
Quote:
Originally posted by MARC NATHAN:
I hope we find out about Dick Grayson though...

Oooh, good call. We never did find out why he and Bruce drifted apart after what happened to Jason, did we?

"I think ChrisW is the funniest man in entertainment still alive..."
-- the perceptive Tom Spurgeon

#481644 - 12/23/01 09:08 AM Re: Bottom line on DK2
Samuel Catalino Offline

Marc,

I hope we still are friends.

Yep, I still hate it for all the reasons I have cited in the past.

I did have one nice thing to say about the cover. I thought the cover was better than Captain American #50, and I LIKE Gene Ha....

So I can be pretty objective...

#481645 - 12/23/01 11:02 AM Re: Bottom line on DK2
Merkin Offline

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Quote:
Originally posted by fumetti:

...I can only conclude that you're virtually ignorant of the real world outside of comic books.

Fume-

I think that you're suffering from a lapse of logic here. If the problem is that Sam's pre-judging comic books without actually reading them, why would you presume that he was virtually ignorant of the world outside of comics. It appears that you'd be more reasonable inferring that he's equally ignorant of the world inside of comics.

No offense intended to you or your subject of course.

#481646 - 12/23/01 06:03 PM Re: Bottom line on DK2
Samuel Catalino Offline

"I think that you're suffering from a lapse of logic here. If the problem is that Sam's pre-judging comic books without actually reading them, why would you presume that he was virtually ignorant of the world outside of comics. It appears that you'd be more reasonable inferring that he's equally ignorant of the world inside of comics.

No offense intended to you or your subject of course."

You numbskull of a sock puppet. NOBODY reads comics, they look at the pictures....

#481647 - 12/24/01 02:19 AM Re: Bottom line on DK2
fumetti Offline

?Fume-

I think that you're suffering from a lapse of logic here. If the problem is that Sam's pre-judging comic books without actually reading them, why would you presume that he was virtually ignorant of the world outside of comics. It appears that you'd be more reasonable inferring that he's equally ignorant of the world inside of comics."

You're late to the debate. Sam brought into this thread a discussion I started on a different thread regarding the real-life social issues that Miller comments on in DK2.

If anyone read DK2 and did NOT see that Miller alluding to current (and past) social issues, then they must not pay any attention to modern socio-political events.

Poor Sam doesn't read so good, tho, because I never said Miller's commentary was "deep" or "innovative"-- only that Miller was discussing those issues.

#481648 - 12/24/01 11:36 AM Re: Bottom line on DK2
Merkin Offline

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Quote:
Originally posted by Samuel Catalino:

NOBODY reads comics, they look at the pictures....

Here, it seems, is the real root of one of Sam's problems. Sam is unaware that you're supposed to read the words that accompany the pictures in order to create a full narrative. All this time I'd just presumed a certain amount of willful ignorance on his part, and here it becomes obvious that the poor guy just has a conceptual problem understanding the nature of the medium.

Perhaps this also explains, at least partially, the incredibly hostile attitudes he expresses towards people who actually can substantiate their opinions when they read the books that they comment on. This might actually be the opportunity for Sam to learn to civilly converse with other comic book readers (but I'd guess the odds are skewed just a little bit towards the unlikely in that regard).

#481649 - 12/27/01 03:22 PM Re: Bottom line on DK2
Samuel Catalino Offline

"Here, it seems, is the real root of one of Sam's problems. Sam is unaware that you're supposed to read the words that accompany the pictures in order to create a full narrative. All this time I'd just presumed a certain amount of willful ignorance on his part, and here it becomes obvious that the poor guy just has a conceptual problem understanding the nature of the medium."

Number one, what I wrote was a joke. Next time I will place a [img]/resources/ubb/wink.gif[/img] for you, so you may discern that in my future posts. As for the rest of your commentary, I take it you would not care for Marvel's Nuff said books this month.

You could have also summed up your lengthy commentary in one sentence. Perhaps you could also explain just how I have a conceptual problem understanding the nature of this medium. Perhaps I can best describe my defense as pictures are masterpieces, narrative stories are masterpieces, but place them together and you have what the general public calls the funny book, a piece of 'literature' suited for little children.

"Perhaps this also explains, at least partially, the incredibly hostile attitudes he expresses towards people who actually can substantiate their opinions when they read the books that they comment on. This might actually be the opportunity for Sam to learn to civilly converse with other comic book readers (but I'd guess the odds are skewed just a little bit towards the unlikely in that regard)."

I don't have hostile opinions toward those who differ from my own because they fail to substantiate their opinions on literary works they read. I marvel at such opinions who consider hack work genius and genius hack work, but isn't it all relative? As I stated in my initial post, those who like Miller will buy it, those who liked Dark Knight will try it, I don't think I could not have been any more objective than that.

I did buy it, I did read it, and stand by my first opinion which is: I would not recommend anyone purchasing this book. On the same token, I am certainly not going to prevent anyone from purchasing it either. It is the USA, no matter how many Wizards Miller tears up on stage....

#481650 - 12/28/01 07:58 AM Re: Bottom line on DK2
MarcDeering Offline

Loc: Newport News, VA.
Bottom line folks?

Sam's still on crack.

------------------
Marc Deering
Embellisher
I BLEED black ink...
Double Eye Studios
Potlatchcomics.org

#481651 - 12/28/01 09:04 PM Re: Bottom line on DK2
Samuel Catalino Offline

Marc,

I wouldn't wish that fate even on Jack. Having seen what smoking crack can do to you and to your life (I had a roommate who was hooked on the stuff), it is a tragedy.

Bad taste, Marc. I am disappointed in that comment.

Sam

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >