Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#484478 - 01/31/02 12:08 PM Should I buy a complete set of Planetary?
Adam Ingle Offline

Hi, hoping anyone familiar with the comic book Planetary can help me out. I have my eye on a set of issues 1 - 15 on ebay. Is that every issue released so far? How often do new issues come out? What would be a good price to pay for the set I'm looking at? Right now they're at less than cover price.

I'm new to comics so any info will be appreciated.

#484479 - 01/31/02 12:37 PM Re: Should I buy a complete set of Planetary?
Joe Lee Offline

Yes.

#484480 - 01/31/02 12:38 PM Re: Should I buy a complete set of Planetary?
borateen Offline

If you're going for a great story with great art, I'd pick them all up. That is all of the issues, and they were supposed to come out every two months, but I can't remember when the last issue actually came out. I think it's been close to a year. I would consider less than cover a good price. Hell, that usually a good price for almost anything. Hope this helps.

Rob

#484481 - 01/31/02 01:12 PM Re: Should I buy a complete set of Planetary?
TIP Offline

Loc: Saint Paul, MN
Get the First Two trades:
ALL OVER THE WORLD AND OTHER STORIES (issues 1-6)
THE FOURTH MAN (issues 7-12)

Then you could get the remaining individual issues.

Great stuff...but SLOW in coming out.
T

#484482 - 01/31/02 01:45 PM Re: Should I buy a complete set of Planetary?
C.Kent Offline

Loc: New Jersey
To answer your question: yes, buy it. Absolutely worth it. And for the record #10 was nearly impossible to find, I spent 4 months looking last year, but I guess interest has died down as the book has come to a crawl.

Speaking of which...I did not see anything in the "Warren Ellis exclusive with DC" story regarding Planetary. What is the plan for the series? Is Cassiday still on board? What stage is the next issue in? (I know it hasn't been solicited yet, but has it been written, plotted, pulped smile ? )

#484483 - 01/31/02 02:43 PM Re: Should I buy a complete set of Planetary?
Adam Ingle Offline

Thanks for the input everybody. I've done some research and discovered the the set I'm looking at would be quite a good buy at twice the price it's at right now - some of the early issues are expensive.

Someone on another board told me its a limited series... how many issues will there be?

#484484 - 01/31/02 03:41 PM Re: Should I buy a complete set of Planetary?
Glen Offline

Adam X, I've been reading/collecting comics for almost 20 years, & Planetary is probably my favorite comic book story I have ever read,& John Cassaday is probably my favorite current artist.

So I would definitely pick them up if you have the money. Some people may say get the trades(I have all the issues plus the 2 hardcover trades), but I say go for the issues, I like having the actually issues themselves, plus you get the letter columns that aren't in the trade.

Also if you are going to buy every single issue. One issue that may not be included in the lot is the Planetary: Preview. It is the flip-side to Jim Lee's C-23 #6.The important part or what's cool about This, is not simply the first few pages of issue #1 like many previews are. This is a short & great one shot Planetary story that is very cool to read if you haven't even read issue #1.

As far as I know, & I have talked to & met the artist on the book, the book will have an ending but Warren Ellis does not know when he will end it. The very bad part of this series is although it is actually suppose to be a monthly comic, it comes out aboutevery 3-4 months.

Anyway, hope that helps & hope you get & enjoy the series.

#484485 - 01/31/02 04:02 PM Re: Should I buy a complete set of Planetary?
Joe Lee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by forbushman:
Adam X, I've been reading/collecting comics for almost 20 years, & Planetary is probably my favorite comic book story I have ever read,.....

I'm with you on that, and I've been collecting for nearly 30 years!

But, old guys are likely to dig the book. Part of the appeal of the book is it's nostalgic look at everything from Doc Savage to Godzilla!

#484486 - 01/31/02 08:48 PM Re: Should I buy a complete set of Planetary?
stroh Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD U.S.A.
What I think makes this comic so great is the way Ellis is able make his revisionist origins in these homages to the classic characters a little more sophisticated. He updates the Hulk, Thor, the Spectre and especially the Fantastic Four with revised origins that use esoteric maths and fringe physics to explain them, rather than radioactivity and magic. I'm not saying that these origins are any more believable, but they do make it a little easier for me to suspend disbelief. All are well-thought out and well written.

[ 01-31-2002: Message edited by: stroh ]

#484487 - 01/31/02 08:50 PM Re: Should I buy a complete set of Planetary?
stroh Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD U.S.A.
double post

[ 01-31-2002: Message edited by: stroh ]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >