Topic Options
#487004 - 03/04/02 01:03 PM NEWS: Gay and lesbian bookstore sues Canadian government over seized comics
Dave Knott Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
From
http://cbc.ca/cgi-bin/templates/view.cgi...esisters_020304

----
Gay bookstore sues over seized imports

VANCOUVER - A B.C. bookstore that won a Supreme Court case against Canada Customs 15 months ago says some of its sexually explicit books are still being stopped at the border.

Little Sister's Book and Art Emporium has launched a lawsuit over the right to import merchandise featuring words and images about gay men and women.

The Vancouver shop has been battling Canada Customs for the past 15 years.

In December 2000, the Supreme Court ruled that the bookstore had been unfairly targeted and it set new guidelines for material that could be seized by customs agents.

But Little Sisters has still run into problems bringing in some stock. When an anthology of sexually explicit S & M comics was recently seized, the store decided to launch a lawsuit against the federal government.

"You sort of throw up your hands," says Mark MacDonald, who's in charge of the store's purchases. "But we're really determined. We feel there is a strong case for artistic merit on these books."

The lawsuit is being partly financed by the B.C. Civil Liberties Association, which questions why the federal government is spending so much time and money worrying about imported books.

"The Internet is allowing all sorts of material of this nature through an utterly porous border," argues David Sutherland, one of the association's lawyers.

No trial date has been set. A spokesperson for the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency was unavailable to comment on the case.
----

#487005 - 03/04/02 04:57 PM Re: NEWS: Gay and lesbian bookstore sues Canadian government over seized comics
Jimmy Anger Offline

Loc: Winchester, MA, USA
S&M = gross.

But still, if they want it, they should be able to sell and buy it, as long as their dealing witha adults. More power to them.

#487006 - 03/11/02 03:36 AM Re: NEWS: Gay and lesbian bookstore sues Canadian government over seized comics
STORM Offline

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Johnny Anger,

I found it a tad amusing that you can equate S&M with "gross" but have a sig line about setting a man on fire. Not that I didn't get the humor--I did, and the quote did give me a chuckle--just that I found it even more funny after reading your gut reaction comment.

but I definitely agree with your stance about the imported items. They things that some people get upset about just astounds me sometimes.

cheers,

Storm

#487007 - 03/11/02 03:38 AM Re: NEWS: Gay and lesbian bookstore sues Canadian government over seized comics
STORM Offline

Loc: Greensboro, NC
oops--

sorry JIMMY....didnt mean to call you Johnny

my apologies

Storm