Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#488682 - 03/27/02 01:36 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
snoid Offline

Yes I do, sure it's better done then most, but to me it still the same old Sci-Fi genre crap. And yes I have read it. How can metabarons every hope to compare to the beauty of Its a good life if you don't weaken by Seth? That is an indy book to me.
Terry

#488683 - 03/27/02 01:44 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
THE Anti-Hunter Offline

Loc: oceanside,Ca
I think that "The FootSoldiers" was close to an Indy book, even though it was published by DarkHorse and then Image. In the letter colums of the initial four-issue run the creator, JIm Krueger talks about what he went through to get the book known, put together, than published.
So does anyone think that an "Indy" book is anything other than the SuperHero genre, or can this be considered an Independent.
Shit, I'm trying to make sense here, so is being an "Indy", book determined by it's publisher, or by the content?

My forum: http://p207.ezboard.com/fthebullpen28879frm43

and the art blog: http://j-m-hunter.livejournal.com/

#488684 - 03/27/02 01:49 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
snoid Offline

For me it would be content.
Terry

#488685 - 03/27/02 01:50 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Dave Knott Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Gotta say that I also haven't exactly been enamoured of the atmosphere on Comicon lately either. I agree with Chris that the fanboy set has definitely been running amok around here.

That's not to say that there isn't some interesting talk happening. I mean, where else in the last five years would you find a thread aboutPrisoners of Gravity? That sort of thing alone makes it worth visiting here on a daily basis.
Still, I've been slowly gravitating away and not posting as much. I recently rediscovered the Warren Ellis Forum and post there occassionally, but the attitude is usually a little too cynical for my taste. And most of the other message boards have an even higher fan quotient than Comicon.

Comicon is still the best comics-specific website on the net. It just needs a little spring cleaning, I think.

later,
dave

#488686 - 03/27/02 02:08 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Mark Allen Offline

Loc: Northwestern Oklahoma
I understand now what you're saying about judging an indy book by content. I think, however, that indy books are, by definition, books that are put out by an individual, rather than a company. It's not genre that determines an indy title. There are some who are so "anti-big-comic-company," that the term "indy" is reserved for any book that seems different and cutting-edge to them, no matter who produces it or what the subject matter is. Of couse, this is all my opinion.

A YouTube page! That's..., something.
Four Color Commentary

#488687 - 03/27/02 02:10 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Eel O'Brian Offline

Loc: North Kackalackee
As sick as I get from reading the same old Superhero threads started over and over and degenerating into slagfests, I get even SICKER reading the constant bitching about it.

So DO SOMETHING, complainers.

I posted this in The Gutters, I'll repost it here, slightly altered to fit Topside:

I can't stand any more of this, after trudging through weeks of it. Everyone pisses and groans about COMICON sucking, and no one wants to do anything about it except complain again for the jillionth time. It strips years off my life every time I read this display of utter vaginosity. You want a better Comicon? MAKE ONE. You want a higher level of discourse? START AN INTERESTING THREAD. You want to have fun here? GET OFF YOUR ASS AND MAKE IT FUN. No one forces you to read Superhero threads, or pay any attention to those posters who would derail a thread about anything else. These types of posters feed off the attention, and if you ignore them and carry on, THEY WILL GO AWAY. If you start a topic and no one comments, it might be because you said it all in your initial post. Maybe it needs no further comment. Or, maybe no one is interested at the time. Happens to all of us.

So carry on with it, and things will get better for you. Inaction is as good as admitting defeat.

#488688 - 03/27/02 02:15 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
snoid Offline

Yea its a bad term at best. I use the term not as hardline as most. To me "indy" is anything non-genre sci-fi/horror/superhero and so on. Does this mean that the comic will be good if it fits my definition of "indy" heck no. As a matter of fact just like the genre stuff, the "indy" stuff is 99% crap to me. So there you go.
Terry

#488689 - 03/27/02 03:05 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
SwiftMann Offline

Loc: Baltimore, Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by snoid:
maybe Steve, I started a thread about the Comcis Journal winter special and one response, by Jack to bitch about the price. So I just don't see the many who want to talk about indy comics.
Terry

Personally, I couldn't give two flying who-ees about the Comics Journal. If you actually want to talk comics, let's go nuts.

For the record I consider anything not in the first half of Previews to be an "indy" book 'cause I always have to go out of my way to make sure my shop orders that stuff.

#488690 - 03/27/02 03:12 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
snoid Offline

The last half of TCJ winter special WAS COMICS.
Of course you knew that already, right?
Terry

#488691 - 03/27/02 03:14 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
snoid Offline

and I might add that the Tony Millionare story from TCJ winter special was better then ANYTHING done all year by any company in the first half of previews. And Tony's was one of many.
Terry

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >