Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#488672 - 03/27/02 11:00 AM !@#$%!! old complaint!
Chris Juricich Offline

Loc: Berkeley, CA USA
I was trolling through the 'Comics' threads-- and I realized that 90% of the topics were about X-Men, Batman, and Spider-man. Comicon has literally become infested with fanboys!

Yes, I've complained before about the tenor of the boards changing so much of late and this is the last time. Things change.

Guess I'll stay in my room.

#488673 - 03/27/02 11:29 AM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
metron Offline

I agree with you that perhaps a wider range of comics need to be discussed on this board, but as can be seen by the market itself, X-Men and Spider-Man dominate that arena as well. :rolleyes:

#488674 - 03/27/02 12:17 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Brad Simpson Offline

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Ouch!

#488675 - 03/27/02 12:33 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Steve Conley Administrator Offline

Loc: Arlington, Virginia, USA
Chris,

Ya got a choice: start a thread about a book/ series you'd like to talk about OR start a !@#$%!! thread complaining that such a thread doesn't exist.

There are plenty of us who'd like to talk about indy books. What do you have in mind?

-- Steve

#488676 - 03/27/02 12:47 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
snoid Offline

maybe Steve, I started a thread about the Comcis Journal winter special and one response, by Jack to bitch about the price. So I just don't see the many who want to talk about indy comics.
Terry

#488677 - 03/27/02 01:09 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Mark Allen Offline

Loc: Northwestern Oklahoma
Well, I think it depends on which indy book or talent is the subject of the discussion. I've seen at least one fairly long thread on Metabarons before, and there has been a fair amount of disussion on independent comic creators in the past. So, to assume that, since one indy discussion didn't "light up," there is not much interest in the subject, is a stretch.

A YouTube page! That's..., something.
Four Color Commentary

#488678 - 03/27/02 01:19 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
THE Anti-Hunter Offline

Loc: oceanside,Ca
I'll gladly start up a thread about NightBreed/ Clive Barker, but would that be considered not independent enough?
Actually I don't think I'd get much of a response, either, and has anyone noticed that there isn't much flow or traffic going through the Comic Book section w/ the exception of the obligatory X-men, Spiderman, threads; which I too am guilty of entertaining/starting.
What can I say that's what got me into comics in the first place, but now I like alot of different things and want more indy-books in my possession.

My forum: http://p207.ezboard.com/fthebullpen28879frm43

and the art blog: http://j-m-hunter.livejournal.com/

#488679 - 03/27/02 01:19 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
snoid Offline

Metabarons..?? a-huh yea that proves people around here like indy books. From where I sit Metabarons is the same old shit that the biggies pump out.
I don't really look at the term indy to mean Non- big comic company books. I think of indy books to be like TCJ winter special.
Terry

#488680 - 03/27/02 01:27 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Mark Allen Offline

You equate Metabarons with DC/Marvel mainstream stuff? Have you really ever read it? Because, I have to say, that's the first time I've ever heard that opinion expressed.

Four Color Commentary

#488681 - 03/27/02 01:33 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
RANDY Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
Chris, I think its just indicative of whats going on all over fandom and for that matter all over the online comics community. I find that a lot of the review websites that I've been on lately concentrate on mostly Marvel, DC, Image and Crossgen stuff. Of course you will find an occasional review of an Indy book but they are usually few and far between. I think that the influx of "fanboys" (for lack of a better word) on this site can be pinpointed to the demise of Wizard's message boards awhile back. It was weird. One week everyone's discussing FROM HELL and Dan Clowes and the next there's all of these posts about Todd MacFarland and who's the most popular member of the X-Men.

#488682 - 03/27/02 01:36 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
snoid Offline

Yes I do, sure it's better done then most, but to me it still the same old Sci-Fi genre crap. And yes I have read it. How can metabarons every hope to compare to the beauty of Its a good life if you don't weaken by Seth? That is an indy book to me.
Terry

#488683 - 03/27/02 01:44 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
THE Anti-Hunter Offline

I think that "The FootSoldiers" was close to an Indy book, even though it was published by DarkHorse and then Image. In the letter colums of the initial four-issue run the creator, JIm Krueger talks about what he went through to get the book known, put together, than published.
So does anyone think that an "Indy" book is anything other than the SuperHero genre, or can this be considered an Independent.
Shit, I'm trying to make sense here, so is being an "Indy", book determined by it's publisher, or by the content?

#488684 - 03/27/02 01:49 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
snoid Offline

For me it would be content.
Terry

#488685 - 03/27/02 01:50 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Dave Knott Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Gotta say that I also haven't exactly been enamoured of the atmosphere on Comicon lately either. I agree with Chris that the fanboy set has definitely been running amok around here.

That's not to say that there isn't some interesting talk happening. I mean, where else in the last five years would you find a thread aboutPrisoners of Gravity? That sort of thing alone makes it worth visiting here on a daily basis.
Still, I've been slowly gravitating away and not posting as much. I recently rediscovered the Warren Ellis Forum and post there occassionally, but the attitude is usually a little too cynical for my taste. And most of the other message boards have an even higher fan quotient than Comicon.

Comicon is still the best comics-specific website on the net. It just needs a little spring cleaning, I think.

later,
dave

#488686 - 03/27/02 02:08 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Mark Allen Offline

I understand now what you're saying about judging an indy book by content. I think, however, that indy books are, by definition, books that are put out by an individual, rather than a company. It's not genre that determines an indy title. There are some who are so "anti-big-comic-company," that the term "indy" is reserved for any book that seems different and cutting-edge to them, no matter who produces it or what the subject matter is. Of couse, this is all my opinion.

Four Color Commentary

#488687 - 03/27/02 02:10 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Eel O'Brian Offline

Loc: North Kackalackee
As sick as I get from reading the same old Superhero threads started over and over and degenerating into slagfests, I get even SICKER reading the constant bitching about it.

So DO SOMETHING, complainers.

I posted this in The Gutters, I'll repost it here, slightly altered to fit Topside:

I can't stand any more of this, after trudging through weeks of it. Everyone pisses and groans about COMICON sucking, and no one wants to do anything about it except complain again for the jillionth time. It strips years off my life every time I read this display of utter vaginosity. You want a better Comicon? MAKE ONE. You want a higher level of discourse? START AN INTERESTING THREAD. You want to have fun here? GET OFF YOUR ASS AND MAKE IT FUN. No one forces you to read Superhero threads, or pay any attention to those posters who would derail a thread about anything else. These types of posters feed off the attention, and if you ignore them and carry on, THEY WILL GO AWAY. If you start a topic and no one comments, it might be because you said it all in your initial post. Maybe it needs no further comment. Or, maybe no one is interested at the time. Happens to all of us.

So carry on with it, and things will get better for you. Inaction is as good as admitting defeat.

#488688 - 03/27/02 02:15 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
snoid Offline

Yea its a bad term at best. I use the term not as hardline as most. To me "indy" is anything non-genre sci-fi/horror/superhero and so on. Does this mean that the comic will be good if it fits my definition of "indy" heck no. As a matter of fact just like the genre stuff, the "indy" stuff is 99% crap to me. So there you go.
Terry

#488689 - 03/27/02 03:05 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
SwiftMann Offline

Loc: Baltimore, Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by snoid:
maybe Steve, I started a thread about the Comcis Journal winter special and one response, by Jack to bitch about the price. So I just don't see the many who want to talk about indy comics.
Terry

Personally, I couldn't give two flying who-ees about the Comics Journal. If you actually want to talk comics, let's go nuts.

For the record I consider anything not in the first half of Previews to be an "indy" book 'cause I always have to go out of my way to make sure my shop orders that stuff.

#488690 - 03/27/02 03:12 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
snoid Offline

The last half of TCJ winter special WAS COMICS.
Of course you knew that already, right?
Terry

#488691 - 03/27/02 03:14 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
snoid Offline

and I might add that the Tony Millionare story from TCJ winter special was better then ANYTHING done all year by any company in the first half of previews. And Tony's was one of many.
Terry

#488692 - 03/27/02 03:20 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
THE Anti-Hunter Offline

Quote:
and I might add that the Tony Millionare story from TCJ winter special was better then ANYTHING done all year by any company in the first half of previews. And Tony's was one of many.
Terry

Refresh my memory, What's he done again?

#488693 - 03/27/02 03:25 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
snoid Offline

Here you go..

http://www.maakies.com/

He does a weekly strip called MAAKIES and had a couple of comics by Dark Horse called SOCK MONKEY. Tony draws so well It make me mad.
Terry

#488694 - 03/27/02 03:28 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
THE Anti-Hunter Offline

Damn! Allrigh, I remember now my friend kept telling me to pick up SockMonkey, I just haven't got around to it yet, thanx.

#488695 - 03/27/02 03:37 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
SwiftMann Offline

Quote:
The last half of TCJ winter special WAS COMICS.
Of course you knew that already, right?
Terry

No I didn't because I've never picked up TCJ. I thought it was just Fantagraphics whoring itself.

#488696 - 03/27/02 03:44 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
snoid Offline

I don't want to get into a pissing match about Fantagraphics, but don't let a dislike for them stop you from buying their stuff. I personally feel that EVERYONE I've come across that was in anyway connected to Fantagraphics,(other then artist), was a royal asshole. However that does not change the fact that they printed HEY WAIT..., or The Crumb reprints, or for that matter the wonderful Winter special.
Terry

#488697 - 03/27/02 04:03 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
stephen Offline

Loc: Toronto
I'll be frank, I normally leave my indy musings on the TCJ board as I find that has a higher percentage of folks who have at least read or heard about the topics at large. "Who is Tony Millionaire?" Either get glasses or switch comic shops, my friend. Semantics can be a dirty word, but I remember a store manager proudly intoning his support for "independents" because he ordered Judge Dredd and Nexus.

I missed your original Winter Special thread Terry, as I don't always poke my nose up here, but I'll pony up my two cents and say that it was a fantastic mixed package. The comics section has only been eclipsed by the legendary Comix 2000 as an anthology. I'll offer more but I'm being called away...

#488698 - 03/27/02 04:08 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
SwiftMann Offline

Terry - Don't get me wrong, I like some of the stuff Fantagraphics puts out like Jessica Abell's books, Love and Rockets and a couple others here and there but I don't need to spend however much $$ on TCJ to tell me that.

#488699 - 03/27/02 04:08 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Tabula Rasa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Knott:
Gotta say that I also haven't exactly been enamoured of the atmosphere on Comicon lately either. I agree with Chris that the fanboy set has definitely been running amok around here.

Isn't this what actual comic book conventions are supposed to look like?

Why don't you try to redirect their interests back towards the kinds of sites they'd enjoy better? That's not to say that there isn't some interesting talk happening.

#488700 - 03/27/02 05:41 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Tom Spurgeon Offline

Loc: WCW Special Forces
If you're a fan of great comics, please be like Terry/snoid and don't let the fact that we're gigantic assholes keep you from trying the TCJ Winter Special. There are a lot of really good comics in there, like Tony's and Joe Sacco's. It's a great sampler for people interested in checking out alternative comics. The written parts are notably asshole-free, too, for the most part.

Sock Monkey is a great read, too, and that's done by Dark Horse. I'm pretty sure Diana Schutz is the editor, and she's totally well-liked, so you're safe there. I still think about that page in Volume 3 with the sock monkey running with scissors, and that comic came out more than a year ago. Tony Millionaire's a first-tier cartoonist. Collect them all!

Chris, here's a suggestion for an indy comic you may not have heard about: Supermonster #14, titled "Gloriana Comics" by Kevin Huizenga. It's a very thick self-published comic, $3. I re-read it last night. On the one hand, Huizenga's work is charmingly drawn slice of life. On the other, it's hugely formally ambitious and deeply thoughtful. One story juggles an enormously fun scientific explanation of why the moon turns red and looks big, the narrator looking at that phenomenon, and the narrator talking to his wife about explaining the phenomenon to some other onlookers -- all in the same scene! It's really charming, great stuff, and I think you'll hear a lot more from this cartoonist in the next few years. (PO Box 12299, St. Louis, MO 63157)

Kevin's comic can be seen in part and even ordered at the USS Catastrophe comics site, but they really demand the tactile experience for a full appreciation.

#488701 - 03/27/02 06:27 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Ayo Offline

Loc: New York
people lie...everytime I start a thread over in Comic Books, it gets a few responses and dies...

I try.

#488702 - 03/27/02 07:02 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Mark Allen Offline

We know, Cannibal. You're very trying. wink

Four Color Commentary

#488703 - 03/27/02 08:16 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Joe Zabel Offline

Loc: Cleveland Heights, OH 44106
There's a thread about Jason Lutes' Berlin over there now; the commentary doesn't sound too deep, but at least they're talking about it.

It might help if there was a separate alternative comics board here-- then such discussions wouldn't get lost in the shuffle.

Actually, though, from my recollection, this was never exactly the haven for discussing alternative comics. I started a number of such discussions years ago, but most of them died on the vine.

#488704 - 03/27/02 08:47 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Matt Hawes Offline

Loc: Evansville, IN U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Juricich:
I was trolling through the 'Comics' threads-- and I realized that 90% of the topics were about X-Men, Batman, and Spider-man. Comicon has literally become infested with fanboys!

Yes, I've complained before about the tenor of the boards changing so much of late and this is the last time. Things change.

Guess I'll stay in my room.

Aren't we all fanboys if we are bothering to post on a message board about comics? wink

But, really, what's the problem? Who's preventing you or anyone from bringing up alternative comics? It's a message board open to the public. Start posting about Independent comics. Isn't there room for everyone?

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
Evansville, Indiana 47711
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#488705 - 03/27/02 08:49 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Matt Hawes Offline

Quote:
Terry

Who's fault is that? -- The "fanboys"?

Tell your friends that love Indy comics about Comicon.com. Start a move to get them and others like them posting here.

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#488706 - 03/27/02 08:53 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Matt Hawes Offline

Quote:

That's not to say that there isn't some interesting talk happening. I mean, where else in the last five years would you find a thread aboutPrisoners of Gravity? That sort of thing alone makes it worth visiting here on a daily basis.
Still, I've been slowly gravitating away and not posting as much. I recently rediscovered the Warren Ellis Forum and post there occassionally, but the attitude is usually a little too cynical for my taste. And most of the other message boards have an even higher fan quotient than Comicon.

Comicon is still the best comics-specific website on the net. It just needs a little spring cleaning, I think.

later,
dave

Who decides on what gets cleaned. Very elitist attitude. Not a slam, BTW, just an observation. I mean, why does it matter on a board like Comicon.com that not all threads deal with Independents? Is it "INDYCOMICON.COM"?

There's room for everyone. Start posting your own Indy threads. Steve and Rick are very accomodating and non-intrusive.

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#488707 - 03/27/02 08:56 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Matt Hawes Offline

BTW, it's not lost on me that the same Chris that started this thread about the lack of Indy comics threads was the same guy that started (yet)another thread on "Byrne Bashing." A decidedly mainstream topic. Ugh.

Practice what one preaches...

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#488708 - 03/27/02 09:05 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Brad Simpson Offline

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Ouch!

#488709 - 03/27/02 10:02 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Dave Knott Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Hawes:
There's room for everyone. Start posting your own Indy threads. Steve and Rick are very accomodating and non-intrusive.

Rick and Steve have repeatedly stated that they see Comicon as an organism with a something of a life of its own. The idea is to let the community that regularly visits here dictate the general atmosphere and tenor of the boards. This is probably a wise decision. One of the problems that I have with other message boards is that quite often the people that control the boards do so with a much too heavy hand. That is, if you don't agree with the powers-that-be, then you may be treated as a pariah. I like the feeling of inclusion around here.

I'm just saying that lately the Comicon organism has taken on a shape that is less appealing to myself and to other (often prominent and erudite) members who have drifted away in recent months. I'm sure that in time a whole new batch of comics readers will generate an atmosphere unappealing to the current group. That's the way it is. I think it's a fascinating process. I may not personally care for a lot of the discussion around here lately, but it's still interesting to watch. And there's still enough talk that I am interested in to keep me active in the community.

later,
dave

#488710 - 03/27/02 10:39 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
SwiftMann Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Zabel:
It might help if there was a separate alternative comics board here-- then such discussions wouldn't get lost in the shuffle.

That's not a bad idea at all. I know I've started threads about two of my favorite small press/indy books, Barry Ween and the Alternative Comics 9-11, and they have gone absolutely nowhere.

#488711 - 03/27/02 11:26 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Matt Hawes Offline

Quote:

Rick and Steve have repeatedly stated that they see Comicon as an organism with a something of a life of its own. The idea is to let the community that regularly visits here dictate the general atmosphere and tenor of the boards. This is probably a wise decision. One of the problems that I have with other message boards is that quite often the people that control the boards do so with a much too heavy hand. That is, if you don't agree with the powers-that-be, then you may be treated as a pariah. I like the feeling of inclusion around here...

later,
dave

Same here! About that "heavy hand" of some monitors on other boards: Don't I know it! AOL is one of the worse! I've given up on AOL's message boards this past week after a certain Joker of a moderator apparently removed one of my posts for no good reason. I'm tired of thos AOL volunteers acting as demigods ruling a kingdom. It's a shame, too, as I enjoyed posting to Peter David's board, but enough is enough.

Thanks, Steve and Rick, for being so cool!

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#488712 - 03/27/02 11:31 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Rogue Nanci Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
But if I start a thread there about say Stray bullets or Ruse am I going to have a bunch of people yelling at me to stay in the real Comicon section? Or can we just post any subject anywhere? confused

#488713 - 03/27/02 11:59 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
SwiftMann Offline

Where's "there"?

#488714 - 03/28/02 12:07 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Matt Hawes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogue Nanci:
But if I start a thread there about say Stray bullets or Ruse am I going to have a bunch of people yelling at me to stay in the real Comicon section? Or can we just post any subject anywhere? confused

You know what's really funny...? I realized, as I entered the COMICON.com site this morning, that there is a SUPERHERO flying over the COMICON.com building on the home page. I mean, I noticed it every time I have visited, but I found it particularly funny when I noticed it today, after reading this thread and thinking about the question posed by Chris.

Why wouldn't a fan of mainstream comics feel they have as much right to post here when the mascot is a superhero flying over the COMICON.com building?

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#488715 - 03/28/02 12:33 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Charles Reece Offline

Loc: us of fuckin' a
The problem isn't with the fan of superhero stuff per se (hiya Gene), the problem is with the kind of doofishness that spills over from the likes of the newsarama board.

Undoubtedly, there's something to the point about posting interesting topics rather than bitching about the lack of them, but there's also something to the fact that the lack of them tends to drive away the people who might start them.

As of late, there's been many more interesting arguments about the mainstream over at tcj.com than here.

#488716 - 03/28/02 01:03 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Matt Hawes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Charles Reece:
The problem isn't with the fan of superhero stuff per se (hiya Gene), the problem is with the kind of doofishness that spills over from the likes of the newsarama board.

Undoubtedly, there's something to the point about posting interesting topics rather than bitching about the lack of them, but there's also something to the fact that the lack of them tends to drive away the people who might start them.

As of late, there's been many more interesting arguments about the mainstream over at tcj.com than here.

Well, that's frankly a silly excuse: That because there are posters that post here on subjects of no interest to *some* of the more Indy crowd, that somehow prevents or drives away those that would post.

You mention tjc.com, "The Comics Journal." A more elitist comics crowd one could not hope to find. Should COMICON.com become a mirror of that site? No, I believe that *any* comics fan of *any* comics should be allowed to post here. It's really not that hard to skip over posts that one does not like in this forum. It's nearly all comics/entertainment-related. To me, *that* should be the only requirement.

What do you, or Chris, or anyone of a like mind on this subject suggest Rick and Steve do? Do you want to ban, or censor others for posting about comics or related topics that you personally find irritating. Who gets to call what goes and what doesn't? Seriously, I want to know what you guys think.

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#488717 - 03/28/02 01:58 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
gene phillips Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
There might be benefits to an "alternatives board," but consider a possible downside: you also isolate the subject matter from a potential audience that mostly knows superheroes but might (in some cases) sample some of the alternative wares. It's the parable of scattering seeds onto good and bad ground all over again.

#488718 - 03/29/02 12:10 AM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Charles Reece Offline

Quote:
Well, that's frankly a silly excuse: That because there are posters that post here on subjects of no interest to *some* of the more Indy crowd, that somehow prevents or drives away those that would post.

What excuse? I was simply stating the likely possibility that the closer this board gets to a Wizard-like board, the more likely certain posters (the ones who are interesting to me) will stay away.

There's probably not much that can be done about it, but it's as legitimate to bitch about the evidence supporting that likelihood as it is anything else that people bitch about around here.

As for tcj.com, my point was that it's been better at serving the needs of the intelligent superhero fan than this place as of late.

As for skipping over posts and threads, I do, more and more. I'm assuming that's what happened or is happening to others whom I like to hear from as the site becomes more and more drenched in the shit Chris is grousing about.

#488719 - 03/29/02 05:01 AM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
The Dissolving Agent Offline

Loc: Berkeley CA
God, what a pretentious thread.

#488720 - 03/29/02 09:05 AM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
snoid Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by The Dissolving Agent:
God, what a pretentious thread.

Thanks for proving our point, good job.
Terry

#488721 - 03/29/02 12:08 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Ayo Offline

no, he's right.

I like mostly alternative comics, but I don't want to be separate from the mainstreams.
why preach to the converted, I think we need to be united.

not separate, together.

#488722 - 03/29/02 12:29 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Charles Reece Offline

How does any of that make him right? What is it about your dream of unity that makes this thread pretentious?

#488723 - 03/29/02 09:18 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
The Dissolving Agent Offline

Loc: Berkeley CA
Quote:
Thanks for proving our point, good job.
Terry

Just out of curiousity, what point did I prove and how did I prove it?

#488724 - 03/29/02 09:47 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Donovan Offline

Loc: Rochester, NY
I think instead of a different forum for indy comics, Steve and Rick should create one called "Whine and Cheese" for all the pissing and moaning that goes on around here. I've been on this board for well over two years now, and I've seen some classic posters come and go. Am I a little bummed that we don't see Mark Evanier around any more? Sure. Has the comic book section gone a little x-treme? Yup.

But so what? Like the man said, this is a comics messboard. If you want a topic discussed, start one. If it dies, either feed it some more or start a new frigging topic. If one damn indy comic is all you have on your mind, then you're boring and unnecessary anyhow.

But for chrissake stop whining every time someone doesn't answer your post. It isn't the end of the world, nor even the end of Comicon, if your indy thread dies in infancy.

It IS the end, however, if you all go away crying because no one cared to discuss the latest (fill in the indy artist) masterpiece.

-Donovan (with about 200 STD's to his credit: Sudden Thread Deaths, that is wink )

#488725 - 03/29/02 10:42 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
LightningBandit Offline

Loc: Australia
WHO FUCKING CARES..... anyway......... FUCKING HELL FUCKETY FUCK FUCK FUCK SHIT............So what if people enjoy talk bout spidey-x-men and batman......... If you wanna talk about some1..... then create a topic.....I think the board is heavily dominated with Marvel topics. I wanna talk about "powers" never there is one topic on powers. No1 ever drops a Madman topic, Lone cub .., any Oni stuff but who gives a damm about what we talk about any way I don't think we deserve to be "fanboys" jesus who fucking cares people will always talk about those titles because most people buy them....
3. Clones are a easy way out of everything!
4. You know when your in Love when you have a warm feeling in your heart.... or is that Heartburn ?
5. Rob Liefield has no balls if he does kick them in
6. "The Greatest Of Friends Meet By the Slightest of chance"!!!
7. Eat your comics when you are Staving.
8. Powers Is a Crime Fiction/Super Hero Comic (Check the side of the TPB)
9. Ice Cream is everything
10. Bendis RULES!!!!

#488726 - 03/31/02 01:36 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Chris Juricich Offline

Loc: Berkeley, CA USA
I feel as if I've been somewhat taken to task for complaining yet not offering any alternatives. I suppose that's fair.

Are we 'indy lovers' just lazy, I wonder?

I'll see if I can scare up some commentary on some indy stuff. And hopefully we'll see some response. Not surprisingly, my 'why do people bash John Byrne ' thread is up to five effin' pages! Jeezis, what's up with that?

#488727 - 03/31/02 01:46 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Ayo Offline

mad

you dudes ARE lazy!!!

I've started no less than FIVE(maybe more) topics in the last two, three days, and you whiners haven't even BOTHERED to check them out!

stop complaining.
or...come and discuss comics with me.

later...much later.

#488728 - 03/31/02 04:30 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
stephen Offline

Loc: Toronto
I think the idea of an "alternative" or "indie" segment to this board is just too exclusionary to be beneficial. Preaching to the converted may take less time to compose the sermon, but the point conversion might be mishandled at the snap (comics, religion and football allusions all for your rumination courtesy of Easter Sunday..).

One possible reason for low thread response might just be the fact that most fans of non-mainstream material have been conditioned to the fact that their favourite creators' schedules are somewhat less than monthly, making it possible to get by with a visit every three or four months, thereby making one's pronouncements on Optic Nerve #6 less than topical.

The inherent coolness factor kicks in as well. Showing enthusiasm or support for something indicates a level of caring that would kick you off the J.V. Cynicism team. Better to dwell in glazed stupor trying to remember what is or isn't ironic.

Go Team Comiques?

#488729 - 03/31/02 08:35 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Matt Hawes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Juricich:
I feel as if I've been somewhat taken to task for complaining yet not offering any alternatives. I suppose that's fair.

Are we 'indy lovers' just lazy, I wonder?

I'll see if I can scare up some commentary on some indy stuff. And hopefully we'll see some response. Not surprisingly, my 'why do people bash John Byrne ' thread is up to five effin' pages! Jeezis, what's up with that?

It's partly that there are some people that love an excuse to tear down certain popular comics talents, and partly a challenge for many to see if they can race to a page six.

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#488730 - 03/31/02 11:39 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Eel O'Brian Offline

Loc: North Kackalackee
Quote:
Originally posted by cannibal dee:
mad

you dudes ARE lazy!!!

I've started no less than FIVE(maybe more) topics in the last two, three days, and you whiners haven't even BOTHERED to check them out!

stop complaining.
or...come and discuss comics with me.

later...much later.

To be fair, dee, it IS Easter weekend, and a lot of folks are probably away from their computers. Give it a couple more days.

- Kevin

#488731 - 04/01/02 06:42 AM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Pedro Mota Offline

Loc: Amadora, Portugal
Have to say I was expecting a lot of discussion here about the TCJ Winter Special, where comics creators discuss (in comic form) comics and comics creation, or (more discussion about) the Expo2001 anthology. Other than that, I'm sure that when an important subject will appear, the old Comicon.com threads will come back. But I miss the viewpoints of some of the olders, namely comic creators with booths here in Comicon.
Cannibal, I apreciate your efforts, and will follow (and contribute to) your threads.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >