Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#488702 - 03/27/02 07:02 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Mark Allen Offline

Loc: Northwestern Oklahoma
We know, Cannibal. You're very trying. wink

A YouTube page! That's..., something.
Four Color Commentary

#488703 - 03/27/02 08:16 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Joe Zabel Offline

Loc: Cleveland Heights, OH 44106
There's a thread about Jason Lutes' Berlin over there now; the commentary doesn't sound too deep, but at least they're talking about it.

It might help if there was a separate alternative comics board here-- then such discussions wouldn't get lost in the shuffle.

Actually, though, from my recollection, this was never exactly the haven for discussing alternative comics. I started a number of such discussions years ago, but most of them died on the vine.

#488704 - 03/27/02 08:47 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Matt Hawes Offline

Loc: Evansville, IN U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Juricich:
I was trolling through the 'Comics' threads-- and I realized that 90% of the topics were about X-Men, Batman, and Spider-man. Comicon has literally become infested with fanboys!

Yes, I've complained before about the tenor of the boards changing so much of late and this is the last time. Things change.

Guess I'll stay in my room.

Aren't we all fanboys if we are bothering to post on a message board about comics? wink

But, really, what's the problem? Who's preventing you or anyone from bringing up alternative comics? It's a message board open to the public. Start posting about Independent comics. Isn't there room for everyone?

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
Evansville, Indiana 47711
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#488705 - 03/27/02 08:49 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Matt Hawes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by snoid:
maybe Steve, I started a thread about the Comcis Journal winter special and one response, by Jack to bitch about the price. So I just don't see the many who want to talk about indy comics.
Terry

Who's fault is that? -- The "fanboys"?

Tell your friends that love Indy comics about Comicon.com. Start a move to get them and others like them posting here.

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#488706 - 03/27/02 08:53 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Matt Hawes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Knott:
Gotta say that I also haven't exactly been enamoured of the atmosphere on Comicon lately either. I agree with Chris that the fanboy set has definitely been running amok around here.

That's not to say that there isn't some interesting talk happening. I mean, where else in the last five years would you find a thread aboutPrisoners of Gravity? That sort of thing alone makes it worth visiting here on a daily basis.
Still, I've been slowly gravitating away and not posting as much. I recently rediscovered the Warren Ellis Forum and post there occassionally, but the attitude is usually a little too cynical for my taste. And most of the other message boards have an even higher fan quotient than Comicon.

Comicon is still the best comics-specific website on the net. It just needs a little spring cleaning, I think.

later,
dave

Who decides on what gets cleaned. Very elitist attitude. Not a slam, BTW, just an observation. I mean, why does it matter on a board like Comicon.com that not all threads deal with Independents? Is it "INDYCOMICON.COM"?

There's room for everyone. Start posting your own Indy threads. Steve and Rick are very accomodating and non-intrusive.

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#488707 - 03/27/02 08:56 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Matt Hawes Offline

BTW, it's not lost on me that the same Chris that started this thread about the lack of Indy comics threads was the same guy that started (yet)another thread on "Byrne Bashing." A decidedly mainstream topic. Ugh.

Practice what one preaches...

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#488708 - 03/27/02 09:05 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Brad Simpson Offline

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Ouch!

#488709 - 03/27/02 10:02 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Dave Knott Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Hawes:
There's room for everyone. Start posting your own Indy threads. Steve and Rick are very accomodating and non-intrusive.

Rick and Steve have repeatedly stated that they see Comicon as an organism with a something of a life of its own. The idea is to let the community that regularly visits here dictate the general atmosphere and tenor of the boards. This is probably a wise decision. One of the problems that I have with other message boards is that quite often the people that control the boards do so with a much too heavy hand. That is, if you don't agree with the powers-that-be, then you may be treated as a pariah. I like the feeling of inclusion around here.

I'm just saying that lately the Comicon organism has taken on a shape that is less appealing to myself and to other (often prominent and erudite) members who have drifted away in recent months. I'm sure that in time a whole new batch of comics readers will generate an atmosphere unappealing to the current group. That's the way it is. I think it's a fascinating process. I may not personally care for a lot of the discussion around here lately, but it's still interesting to watch. And there's still enough talk that I am interested in to keep me active in the community.

later,
dave

#488710 - 03/27/02 10:39 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
SwiftMann Offline

Loc: Baltimore, Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Zabel:
It might help if there was a separate alternative comics board here-- then such discussions wouldn't get lost in the shuffle.

That's not a bad idea at all. I know I've started threads about two of my favorite small press/indy books, Barry Ween and the Alternative Comics 9-11, and they have gone absolutely nowhere.

#488711 - 03/27/02 11:26 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Matt Hawes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Knott:

Rick and Steve have repeatedly stated that they see Comicon as an organism with a something of a life of its own. The idea is to let the community that regularly visits here dictate the general atmosphere and tenor of the boards. This is probably a wise decision. One of the problems that I have with other message boards is that quite often the people that control the boards do so with a much too heavy hand. That is, if you don't agree with the powers-that-be, then you may be treated as a pariah. I like the feeling of inclusion around here...

later,
dave

Same here! About that "heavy hand" of some monitors on other boards: Don't I know it! AOL is one of the worse! I've given up on AOL's message boards this past week after a certain Joker of a moderator apparently removed one of my posts for no good reason. I'm tired of thos AOL volunteers acting as demigods ruling a kingdom. It's a shame, too, as I enjoyed posting to Peter David's board, but enough is enough.

Thanks, Steve and Rick, for being so cool!

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >