Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#488712 - 03/27/02 11:31 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Rogue Nanci Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
But if I start a thread there about say Stray bullets or Ruse am I going to have a bunch of people yelling at me to stay in the real Comicon section? Or can we just post any subject anywhere? confused

#488713 - 03/27/02 11:59 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
SwiftMann Offline

Loc: Baltimore, Maryland
Where's "there"?

#488714 - 03/28/02 12:07 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Matt Hawes Offline

Loc: Evansville, IN U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally posted by Rogue Nanci:
But if I start a thread there about say Stray bullets or Ruse am I going to have a bunch of people yelling at me to stay in the real Comicon section? Or can we just post any subject anywhere? confused

You know what's really funny...? I realized, as I entered the COMICON.com site this morning, that there is a SUPERHERO flying over the COMICON.com building on the home page. I mean, I noticed it every time I have visited, but I found it particularly funny when I noticed it today, after reading this thread and thinking about the question posed by Chris.

Why wouldn't a fan of mainstream comics feel they have as much right to post here when the mascot is a superhero flying over the COMICON.com building?

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
Evansville, Indiana 47711
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#488715 - 03/28/02 12:33 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Charles Reece Offline

Loc: us of fuckin' a
The problem isn't with the fan of superhero stuff per se (hiya Gene), the problem is with the kind of doofishness that spills over from the likes of the newsarama board.

Undoubtedly, there's something to the point about posting interesting topics rather than bitching about the lack of them, but there's also something to the fact that the lack of them tends to drive away the people who might start them.

As of late, there's been many more interesting arguments about the mainstream over at tcj.com than here.

#488716 - 03/28/02 01:03 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Matt Hawes Offline

Loc: Evansville, IN U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally posted by Charles Reece:
The problem isn't with the fan of superhero stuff per se (hiya Gene), the problem is with the kind of doofishness that spills over from the likes of the newsarama board.

Undoubtedly, there's something to the point about posting interesting topics rather than bitching about the lack of them, but there's also something to the fact that the lack of them tends to drive away the people who might start them.

As of late, there's been many more interesting arguments about the mainstream over at tcj.com than here.

Well, that's frankly a silly excuse: That because there are posters that post here on subjects of no interest to *some* of the more Indy crowd, that somehow prevents or drives away those that would post.

You mention tjc.com, "The Comics Journal." A more elitist comics crowd one could not hope to find. Should COMICON.com become a mirror of that site? No, I believe that *any* comics fan of *any* comics should be allowed to post here. It's really not that hard to skip over posts that one does not like in this forum. It's nearly all comics/entertainment-related. To me, *that* should be the only requirement.

What do you, or Chris, or anyone of a like mind on this subject suggest Rick and Steve do? Do you want to ban, or censor others for posting about comics or related topics that you personally find irritating. Who gets to call what goes and what doesn't? Seriously, I want to know what you guys think.

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
Evansville, Indiana 47711
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#488717 - 03/28/02 01:58 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
gene phillips Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
There might be benefits to an "alternatives board," but consider a possible downside: you also isolate the subject matter from a potential audience that mostly knows superheroes but might (in some cases) sample some of the alternative wares. It's the parable of scattering seeds onto good and bad ground all over again.

#488718 - 03/29/02 12:10 AM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Charles Reece Offline

Loc: us of fuckin' a
Quote:
Well, that's frankly a silly excuse: That because there are posters that post here on subjects of no interest to *some* of the more Indy crowd, that somehow prevents or drives away those that would post.

What excuse? I was simply stating the likely possibility that the closer this board gets to a Wizard-like board, the more likely certain posters (the ones who are interesting to me) will stay away.

There's probably not much that can be done about it, but it's as legitimate to bitch about the evidence supporting that likelihood as it is anything else that people bitch about around here.

As for tcj.com, my point was that it's been better at serving the needs of the intelligent superhero fan than this place as of late.

As for skipping over posts and threads, I do, more and more. I'm assuming that's what happened or is happening to others whom I like to hear from as the site becomes more and more drenched in the shit Chris is grousing about.

#488719 - 03/29/02 05:01 AM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
The Dissolving Agent Offline

Loc: Berkeley CA
God, what a pretentious thread.

#488720 - 03/29/02 09:05 AM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
snoid Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by The Dissolving Agent:
God, what a pretentious thread.

Thanks for proving our point, good job.
Terry

#488721 - 03/29/02 12:08 PM Re: !@#$%!! old complaint!
Ayo Offline

Loc: New York
no, he's right.

I like mostly alternative comics, but I don't want to be separate from the mainstreams.
why preach to the converted, I think we need to be united.

not separate, together.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >