Topic Options
#490090 - 04/12/02 07:04 PM Pat was right, I was wrong.
Aaron White Offline

Loc: Birmingham, AL
About a year ago there was a debate around here about the commercial viability of arty comics, books, etc. In the course of this argument I asserted that two local (Birmingham, Alabama) non-chain bookshops did quite well selling arty books, without selling stuff like Harlequin romances. Surely, Pat O'Neill replied, they supported themselves with something other than arty books. Nope, said I.

I was wrong. Turns out one of them, Little Professor Books, has a cafe on the side that is a popular lunch spot, while Smith and Hardwick across the street from me also runs the lamps and knicknacks shop next door. Although both bookstores seem to be doing regular business with the books, they do indeed have income from other sources.

It's a small point, but hey.

#490091 - 04/13/02 11:45 AM Re: Pat was right, I was wrong.
Pat ONeill Offline

Loc: PA, USA
Aaron:

Thanks for the acknowledgement.

#490092 - 04/14/02 01:07 AM Re: Pat was right, I was wrong.
The OC Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron White:
About a year ago there was a debate around here about the commercial viability of arty comics, books, etc. In the course of this argument I asserted that two local (Birmingham, Alabama) non-chain bookshops did quite well selling arty books, without selling stuff like Harlequin romances. Surely, Pat O'Neill replied, they supported themselves with something other than arty books. Nope, said I.

I was wrong. Turns out one of them, Little Professor Books, has a cafe on the side that is a popular lunch spot, while Smith and Hardwick across the street from me also runs the lamps and knicknacks shop next door. Although both bookstores seem to be doing regular business with the books, they do indeed have income from other sources.

Well said, Aaron. You're to be commended! Let me tip my hat to you!

"You have [my] contempt." -- Alan Light to disappointed TBG subscriber.