Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#493654 - 06/05/02 01:55 PM Re: "NUFF SAID," New York and World Wide...save the only show about comics!!
Dan Carroll Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Can I make a reccomendation? I've never heard the show, but from what you guys say it sounds pretty good and worth saving. So here's my advice.

Send POLITE e-mails. Not accusing anyone of anything, I just know how these things can be messed up by the super-overenthusiastic. Write the guy, but write nicely and only once. Otherwise he'll just ignore anyone who writes in.

There we go, I'm all done.

#493655 - 06/05/02 02:43 PM Re: "NUFF SAID," New York and World Wide...save the only show about comics!!
Scout99 Offline

Elayne, I didn't know Ken and Mercy were...

Fanboy Meets Fangirl. Awwww.... smile

By the way, Dan, I followed your advice before you gave it out. As a matter of fact...

Dear Mr. White:

When I heard about the cancellation of the comic book talk radio show, "Nuff Said", I was shocked to find out that it was due to its so-called "narrow focus". Comic books are anything else but narrow, let alone superheroes.
This medium has been unfairly demonized, ever since that fraud of a psychiatrist, Dr. Frederic Wertham, wrote "Seduction Of The Innoccent" (1954), a book that treated comic books as the incubators of juvenile deliquency in the 1950s. Under pressure from the government, parent-teacher groups and the clergy, the industry was forced to regulate themselves with the Comics Code Authority, enforcing rules of morality. The code is now meaningless, due to the changing social atmosphere; comic books are more than just muscle-bound, costumed warriors.
The venue has approached the subjects of sex, politics, history, race, religion, personal experience and others. In fact, comic books were the first entertainment venue that responded to the 9/11 attacks. There was nothing like Superman vs. Osama Bin Laden; there were books that contained feelings of sadness, pain and hope, within one panel or more. Also, the literary world has accepted comic books as being bonafide, with artist Art Spiegelman winning the Pultizer Prize for "Maus", an vivid account of the Holocaust that was experienced by the author's parents, in 1987. Plus, Michael Chabon earned the same prize for his novel, "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay", a tale of two comic book creators who, despite personal and professional obstacles, manage to accomplish the Great American Dream.
Being the program director of a progressive thinking radio station, I would
implore that you reconsider your decision to end "Nuff Said". Having no mainstream counterpart, it's an important audio haven for the comic book industry.

Sincerely,
Roy Phillips

#493656 - 06/05/02 02:51 PM Re: "NUFF SAID," New York and World Wide...save the only show about comics!!
Dan Carroll Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
That's the way! Take a cue from this man, people!

#493657 - 06/05/02 02:56 PM Re: "NUFF SAID," New York and World Wide...save the only show about comics!!
Scout99 Offline

You're making me blush, Dan! laugh

#493658 - 06/05/02 04:05 PM Re: "NUFF SAID," New York and World Wide...save the only show about comics!!
Chris Knowles Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Elayne Riggs:

He doesn't. Mercy is now his co-host on the show as well as in life.

- Elayne

I'm talking about production, not hosting.

#493659 - 06/05/02 04:22 PM Re: "NUFF SAID," New York and World Wide...save the only show about comics!!
Elayne Riggs Offline

Loc: Bronx, NY, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scout99:
Elayne, I didn't know Ken and Mercy were...

Fanboy Meets Fangirl. Awwww.... smile

Oh, too true. Ken and Mercy have been, well, Ken and Mercy for years and years. They throw the best annual Paleozoic Party around. Great mix of people from sf, comics, you name it, fans and pros alike. In fact, the next Party's coming up in just about a month and a half...

And great letter, by the way.

- Elayne

#493660 - 06/05/02 09:48 PM Re: "NUFF SAID," New York and World Wide...save the only show about comics!!
Elayne Riggs Offline

Loc: Bronx, NY, USA
Update from Ken:

Quote:
I spoke to Bernard myself today. He now uses the term "hiatus" instead of cancellation. I think you're already having an effect. No, he will not restore the show right now (yet?). And he defined "narrow focus" to mean that comics appeal mostly to middle-class white males. I told him it's been changing since the '60s, when the distributor that blocked southern distribution of comics with black characters retired or something. Since then, there have been more black characters bringing in more black creators who introduced more black characters and the independent field has a LARGE female and minority representation. However, as a white male myself, I think my voice is not as loud as [others] in that regard. I also told him about the large number of Spanish comics in New York City, brought in from South America. He didn't know about them (Mercy Van Vlack collects them so she was able to tell him how much they cost).

Our conversation was quite civil, I'm glad to say. I think there's a good chance that if there's enough of us reaching him, we can restore the show - for which I do not get paid, I might add, I'm doing this because I love the art form (if not the industry, as Gil Kane used to say).

Thank you, everyone. I can't begin to describe how uplifting your support has been.

Ken Gale
producer/interviewer/co-host
'Nuff Said!, WBAI-FM, NYC
www.comicbookradioshow.com

#493661 - 06/06/02 03:03 PM Re: "NUFF SAID," New York and World Wide...save the only show about comics!!
Scout99 Offline

Thanks for the update, Elayne! There's always hope! cool

#493662 - 06/06/02 03:47 PM Re: "NUFF SAID," New York and World Wide...save the only show about comics!!
Bill Hicks Offline

Loc: Ohio
Note to self: call John E. a fanboy.

#493663 - 06/06/02 07:26 PM Re: "NUFF SAID," New York and World Wide...save the only show about comics!!
JohnEWIlliams Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
You can find me at:

http://www.wizardworld.com

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2