Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#500203 - 09/26/02 05:18 PM "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
BrianH Offline

Loc: d
I read the review of this script. It sounds like total crap.
While i read it i was like "good god.....this could be 100 times worse than Batman and Robin".
This looks like another case of hollywood morons "re-imagining" a comic character because you know....comic creators and comic fans are retards .

Review of the Superman script by JJ Abrams and Jon Peters-

http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=13350

WB officially announces that Brett Ratner(guh....) is directing, is working from the JJ Abrams, Jon Peters script:

http://www.superherohype.com/cgi-bin/news/fullnews.cgi?newsid1033004412,10728,

and if you don't want to read the whole script review i'll run down what i thought was lame:

*spoilers*?
1.)Krypton never explodes. Instead Clark is sent to earth because of some kind of "prophecy"
2.)young super clark brutally beats a guy that tries to rape ma kent
3.)Superman's Costume in a can: Clark find a canister, opens it, out comes the superman costume that floats around or something
4.)Lex Luthor is a special agent for the CIA.
5.)Superman Dies
6.)Jor-el senses that superman is dead, kills himself, goes to heaven, talks to supes and convinces Clark that he can't die
7.)Supes digs himself out of his own grave
8.)Apparently Jimmy Olsen is gay......for no reason
9.)Lois and Clark meet for the first time at a kegger
10.)Superman knows Kung fu (aka there are flying kung fu action sequences)
11.)At the end Lex Luthor reveals that he is from krypton.
12.)Final battle= Superman vs. A flying, Superpowered Lex Luthor .
13.) Pa Kent dies
14.) Film ends with supes flying off in a rocket, heading back to krypton for training?

Good Lord.

#500204 - 09/26/02 05:35 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
mightymuggle Offline

Loc: Portsmouth
OH MY GOD!! Does that sound like the biggest pile of poo in all history of big piles of poo!

i thought batman and robin sucked but this seems to be to be a total disregard for any history that actually exists.

#500205 - 09/26/02 06:35 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Shed Wiggins Offline

Loc: CT
Are you sure you weren't just having a very vivid dream? No offense but I highly doubt that any of that is true.

"Bears are mean, but frogs are cool. I never saw a frog coming at me and had to play dead."

#500206 - 09/26/02 06:45 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Lord Julius Offline

Loc: St. Louis, Mo.
Quote:
Originally posted by Shed Wiggins:
Are you sure you weren't just having a very vivid dream? No offense but I highly doubt that any of that is true.

I dunno. There's an official WB press release announcing that a project with Jon Peters at the helm is a go. Sandman fans will remember Peters as the man who deep-sized a very good script that hardcore fans had problems with for not being true enough to the comics and bringing in some guy who wrote lines like "Puny mortals. To think you could harm me! The Sandman! Lord of Dreams!"

And the guy that "Ain't It Cool" says wrote the screenplay they've got is listed in the official WB release as working with Peters to "reimagine" Superman.

So, yeah. Bad as it sounds, I think it's the real deal.

The good news is only 1 in every 10 films greenlighted actually ends up getting made. Let's hope this is one of the other nine.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

#500207 - 09/26/02 06:52 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Zoddman Offline

Loc: Redmond, Washington
Oh the pain the PAIN!

This all sounds like total crap except for one scene:The second best Superman sequence in the film is the montage that follows, as we see him slowly slip into this new role. He goes to a mountain top in the Andes and just... listens. There's cries for help from all over the world, and at first, it seems to be too much. But he focuses in on one particular cry. Then another. Then another. And he begins to fly from place to place, fast as he can, never staying for thanks. And for this three or four pages, Abrams brings it all together again.

To me, THAT'S Superman.

-Benjamen Franklin

#500208 - 09/26/02 07:04 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Director's Cameo Offline

Loc: Surrey, B.C., CANADA
One thing I'd just like to throw out there is the aspect of faithfulness to source material vs. making a feasible translation from mediums.

X-Men made some ch-ch-changes in translation, such as the fact that Wolverine is not 5'2", Jean Grey becomes a doctor (instead of Dr. Henry Macoy), the "classic" X-Men uniforms aren't used. However, generally speaking, the film got good response.

Batman & Robin eschews the father/daughter relationship between Barbara Gordon and the Commissioner, turns Bane into a non-speaking thug, gives the costumes bat-nipples. Generally speaking, the film got a horribly negative response, with many people clamoring to see Joel Schumacher's head posted on a sharpened stick.

Now, when held side to side, both films actually make quite radical changes in the translation. One could argue that the number of changes X-Men made were even more than Batman & Robin, such as the fact that the characters are almost unrecognizeable when held up to their comic book counterparts, changes in the character's origins being radically changed (Rogue's relationship with Wolverine for one), and the fact that characters are almost unrecognizeable when held up to their comic book counterparts (most notably Wolverine, Mystique, Toad, and Sabertooth). Batman & Robin kept the mythos intact, with many of the changes being cosmetic.

I'm not saying that Batman & Robin was a better movie by any means. It's not the radical alteration in the translation phase that killed the movie. It was the stupid one-liners, the general hokeyness, the directing and acting done on autopilot, and the heavy-handed attempts at humour that resulted in groans.

X-Men on the other hand had sharp dialogue (Wolverine calling Cyclops a dick was hilarious), competent directing, actual fight choreography (as opposed to constant quick cutting), good visual effects (done on a small budget!), and an actual storyline.

Don't get me wrong...if the rumours are indeed true, then I am definitely saving myself $8 by refusing to see this one. Being that enough people are familiar enough with the Superman films (especially after watching the cartoons and the original films by Richard Donner), there is no reason for such radical alterations.

But then, keep in mind, the actual script has yet to surface. We are just reading a review on AICN and that's just about it. Being that it is AICN (which I find to be an absolute headache to read), I see no reason why we should not be taking it with a grain of salt.

The way I see it, this has caused way too much controversy, when the script hasn't even been released yet. For all we know, the script could be a fake. Heck, it could've even be written by Bill Jemas as an Anti-DC plant.

http://personthatwritesthings.blogspot.com/

#500209 - 09/26/02 11:58 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
BrianH Offline

Loc: d
i hope it's fake, but here's why it might not be:

1.)Press release mentions "re-imagining" superman

2.)Jon Peters is co writing (also mentioned in the press release).

Kevin Smith had major problems with this guy when he was working on a script for "superman lives".

Smith said this guy wanted Brainiac to have a cuddly space dog and thought that Brainiac should have a gay robot sidekick for no apparent reason. Im serious. There were many other things mentioned. I think this idiot didn't even want Supes to fly because he hated the flying effects in the earlier superman films.

#500210 - 09/27/02 12:40 AM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Vox Sapien Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Peters also said that he wanted Sean Penn to play Superman because Penn is like(get this)...a caged animal!(??)

#500211 - 09/27/02 03:45 AM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
krisstacks Offline

Loc: parts unknown
Peters also wanted a giant mechanical spider in Superman.When that version fell apart he jumped to "wild wild west".If you saw that you get what I'm saying.If you hav'nt seen it then dont.I would literally rather blow my brains out than sit through it again.

Oh yeah,He also thought he and Kevin Smith "got" Superman because they were "from the street"-his words.What the fuck does that even mean?

What a jackass.

#500212 - 09/27/02 05:15 AM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Shed Wiggins Offline

Loc: CT
Well, they are making a Jesus movie with Mel Gibson ( seriously) so we should give him a gay sidekick named Jeffe and lightsaber. Hollywood is screwy, guys.

"Bears are mean, but frogs are cool. I never saw a frog coming at me and had to play dead."

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >