Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#500213 - 09/27/02 10:21 AM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Joe Lee Offline

Thats almost as weird as that wacky British version of the Avengers.

Y'know the one where Jarvis in a bowler was the main character and the Wasp without any powers was his sidekick, except they had different names, and no other Avengers where part of the show?

#500214 - 09/27/02 10:32 AM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Scout99 Offline

Insanity, thy name is Jon Peters.

He has obviously been freebasing since the Batman movie became a hit. laugh

My suggestions for Superman 5:

Superman foils another crime operated by corrput businessman Lex Luthor. Luthor's pissed, putting a warrant out for Superman. Many thugs get their butts kicked. Lois wants to marry Clark/Supes, but "responsibility" hold the Boy Scout back, plus she would be in danger. Brainiac gets the warrant, after arriving on Earth. He sics Doomsday on Supes and win. Earth mourns. Heroes fights against Doomsday and are beaten up badly. Batman invents a Clark Kent robot as a cover. Lois gets kidnapped by Luthor's thugs. Brainiac double crosses Luthor after being buds. He wants the whole world. Superman's spirit on a higher existence plane, talks to Jor-El and Lara. They tell him about Brainiac. Superman goes to the yellow sun, comes out reborn. Fights Doomsday and Brainiac and wins. Luthor gets slugged by Batman. Clark and Lois get married.

If that whole idea sucks, I digress.

#500215 - 09/27/02 11:02 AM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Dan Carroll Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
I don't see what everyone's problem is. Between this and the Keanu Reeves Hellblazer, this is going to be quite a couple years for really great accidental comedy.

#500216 - 09/27/02 11:08 AM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Scout99 Offline

Good point, Dan. Still, you would think the WB execs would learn from the mistake known as "Batman and Robin". God, what a shitflick.

#500217 - 09/27/02 11:16 AM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
GOOGAM Son of GOOM Offline

Loc: athens, ga
* iit's a real script, alright.
from www.comics2film.com

WB Furious Over Superman Script Hoopla?
Thursday, September 26, 2002 5:00 CDT

This little bit of news comes from 'Robsuper' & 'david1313' by way of the Superman Cinema site.

WB are absolutely furious at Aint It Cool News' review of the script and is complete panic mode. Heads are rolling and the entire studio is in turmoil. It seems they are scared to death they may have another BATMAN & ROBIN situation on their hands (they do) where negative buzz kills the film before it is even released.

Someone who HATED the script and fought against it is the one who leaked it. The Aint It Cool News review is 100% correct.

#500218 - 09/27/02 11:27 AM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Scout99 Offline

The studio execs should take my version into account. It's not the best, yet it's sensical. smile

Somewhere in California, Sam Raimi and George Lucas are laughing. Good and hard.

If Abrams get canned (if not, he'll get a brain), here are my suggestions for screenwriter:

1) Kevin Smith: Peters was a dope to dismiss him.

2)M. Night Shyamalan: "Unbreakable" rocked.

3)Alan Burnett, Paul Dini and Bruce Timm: these three are the genius behind "Batman: TAS", "Superman: TAS", "Batman Beyond" and "Justice League" (Timm only with Rich Fogel, Glen Murakami and Jim Tucker, really). They should be treated like kings at the WB studios!

4) Frank Miller: Hell, I let him write Batman vs. Superman too.

5)Jeph Loeb: He knows where the bodies are buried ("Teen Wolf", "Commando"), plus he wrote a nifty Superman with Ed McGuinness supplying the art.

6)Mike Chabon: A Pulitzer-Prizer winner. If you haven't read "Kavalier & Clay", you are nuts!

Any other suggesstions would be super (bad pun)!

#500219 - 09/27/02 01:33 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Peter David Offline

Loc: NY, NY
I'm not entirely sure I understand why fans support and acclaim the "Ultimates" line even though it features divergences of staggering magnitude--after decades of comic book companies trying to maintain consistent continuity--while at the same time fans go nuts when Hollywood mucks with film versions of the characters even though Hollywood *traditionally* screws around with the source material.

But that could just be me.

PAD

#500220 - 09/27/02 01:54 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Dan Carroll Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Good point. If this had been released in comics form, with a little "Elseworlds" logo on it, nobody would care at all.

#500221 - 09/27/02 01:54 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Scout99 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter David:
I'm not entirely sure I understand why fans support and acclaim the "Ultimates" line even though it features divergences of staggering magnitude--after decades of comic book companies trying to maintain consistent continuity--while at the same time fans go nuts when Hollywood mucks with film versions of the characters even though Hollywood *traditionally* screws around with the source material.

But that could just be me.

PAD

Maybe it's the fact, Peter, that in the comic book industry, there's not a lot of pretentious (and overly bad) creative input from the exectuives, unlike Hollywood (George Lucas and others are lucky to fund their own work.). I don't know the industry as well as you, but other than an editor and a editor-in-chief, I don't think you have had to lock horns with suits, who haven't written a work of fiction, in your career.

I could be wrong, though. Tell us if you have.

#500222 - 09/27/02 01:59 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Andrey Kovrin Offline

Well, one big difference is that not all the key details and important plot points in the Ultimate line are leaked months or years in advance. Sure, there's some teaser material, and accompanying handwringing, but fans often first learn of the divergences by reading the stories themselves, and get to judge how well they work.

This Superman thing, if it's for real, is still more severe than anything I've seen in the Ultimates. Krypton doesn't explode? Lex Luthor is from Krypton? I thought the whole pint of Lex Luthor, and what makes him interesting as well as weirdly heroic, is that he's simply a highly accomplished, intelligent human being. Worse than that, does it make any sense whatsoever for the producers to spoil such a major revelation before the movie has even been filmed?!

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >