Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#500223 - 09/27/02 02:12 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
BrianH Offline

Loc: d
Also if you don't like the Ultimate comics you have new reg. Marvel comics coming out every month.

In this case i don't think they'll be making two new Superman movies: One "re-imagining" movie and one based on the comics.

Plus that script is crap. Those aren't improvements IMO

#500224 - 09/27/02 02:13 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Elayne Riggs Offline

Loc: Bronx, NY, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by jollyman:
Thats almost as weird as that wacky British version of the Avengers. Y'know the one where Jarvis in a bowler was the main character and the Wasp without any powers was his sidekick, except they had different names, and no other Avengers where part of the show?

Oh, I thought you meant the wacky British version of the Avengers where Jarvis is gay, Hulk is horny, Cap kicks Banner in the head and-- no wait, that's the one that's actually being published...

I also tend to doubt the script is for real. All the studios are paying close attention to how well this year's comic book movies have done when they've stuck to the source material; they're not going to screw with this icon that much (nor would the license holders allow them to).

- Elayne

#500225 - 09/27/02 02:32 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
gene phillips Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
Another reason fans care more about bad film adaptations than bad Elseworlds sagas:

The bad Elseworld saga usually doesn't become a dominant image for what either comics fandom or the World Outside thinks of for this or that character. Many film-versions do.

#500226 - 09/27/02 02:33 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Dan Carroll Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrey Kovrin:
Well, one big difference is that not all the key details and important plot points in the Ultimate line are leaked months or years in advance.

You chose to go online and read a thread about the coming Superman movie. You sought out the spoilers. It's not like AOL-Timewarner is leaving notes on your pillow.

Quote:
Originally posted by WADE:
Also if you don't like the Ultimate comics you have new reg. Marvel comics coming out every month.

Well... go to your local video rental store. You have four movies that run closely to the comics.

But assume for a moment that you don't. So? Why is it your right to have a faithful adaption of Superman, if that's not what the studio wants to do?

The studios don't owe you a movie you'll like.

Quote:
Originally posted by gene phillips:
The bad Elseworld saga usually doesn't become a dominant image for what either comics fandom or the World Outside thinks of for this or that character. Many film-versions do.

Please find me a man, woman, or child in this country who is not aware of the basic premise of Superman, and will not know, say, that Lex Luthor is not actually from Krypton.

If nothing else, they've probably seen Smallville.

#500227 - 09/27/02 02:40 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Scout99 Offline

Ouch, Dan! You're good with points. laugh

#500228 - 09/27/02 02:43 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Dan Carroll Offline

Thanks. smile And I honestly don't mean to come off nasty here... the whole thing just smacks of no-organic-webshooters to me...

#500229 - 09/27/02 02:47 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Korvac Offline

Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Another difference is that everybody in our insular little world knows that the Ultimate versions are not the sole definitive versions. Even a bad movie is seen by many, many, many more people than a wildly succesfull comic.

eg: everybody thinks Batman wears a rubber suit, that The Hulk died after falling from a helicopter, that Wolverine is a strapping 6 footer, etc...

So the problem is that this new movie (And for the record, I don't disagree with changes to continuity per se - just crappy stupid changes.) would BECOME Superman for a huge audience dwarfing the comics community.

And Supe, and that audience, deserves better.

#500230 - 09/27/02 02:51 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Fin Fang Foom Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Elayne Riggs:
I also tend to doubt the script is for real. All the studios are paying close attention to how well this year's comic book movies have done when they've stuck to the source material; they're not going to screw with this icon that much (nor would the license holders allow them to).

Oh, please. Do you /honestly/ think anyone at DC would be able to exercise more than minimal creative control over such a high-profile project? (This is the company that, I kid you not, had to scramble to have Clark Kent and Lois Lane get married in the comics because it was happening on the television series.) Even if it were possible, Levitz has proven time and again that he prefers to keep a low corporate profile.

That said, though, there are elements that are so far off the mark that one can't help but wonder if this isn't a version of the script planted to expose leaks.

#500231 - 09/27/02 02:55 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Kommando XXX Offline

That script is written pretty badly, to say the least. And I'm not talking about "Superman knows kung-fu" or "Lex Luthor is from Krypton." I'm talking about the things like "Evil Beat" and others like that.

"You have corrected me. I am humbled."--Otto Chelman to Samuel Catalino, 5/12/2038

"I still think you're mostly wrong."----Samuel Catalino 2.0 trying to prove Otto Chelman cyborg wrong yet again, 3/30/2050

"That was not a well-thought out comment."--Otto Chelman 6.0 trying to prove Samuel Catalino MACH 3X wrong yet again, 8/23/2078

"Are you two done yet?"--Rick Veitch's moderating great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandtwins, to Ultra Computron 9.0-X harboring the dueling personalities of Otto and Samuel, Stardate 1329.8.

#500232 - 09/27/02 02:56 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Dan Carroll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fin Fang Foom:
This is the company that, I kid you not, had to scramble to have Clark Kent and Lois Lane get married in the comics because it was happening on the television series.

Actually, I heard a different version of the same story. (Although I may be wrong.) The one I heard was that Superman #75 was supposed to be Lois & Clark's wedding. But two seasons down the road, they were getting married on the show. So Warner Bros wanted them married at the same time, and told the creative teams "just think up a plot for the next couple years. Y'know, fill it with something."

Needless to say this angered them. So they thought of something else to do with issue #75. smile

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >