Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#500233 - 09/27/02 03:07 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
BrianH Offline

Loc: d
Well... go to your local video rental store. You have four movies that run closely to the comics.

>>>>>>>>>>> I'd only say 2 run close to the comic and the first one was the one i really liked. I'd like to see a new one with todays effects that's faithful to the comics

But assume for a moment that you don't. So? Why is it your right to have a faithful adaption of Superman, if that's not what the studio wants to do?

>>>>>>>>>>>>> Well i never said it had to be 100% faithful.
......But that script is so far off.....
It's like taking a gamble when you have a sure thing already. If you stay loyal to the comic you've got millions of Superman fans that will see it, love it and tell everyone else to go see it. It'll become a big hit and then all the non fans follow because it'll be *the* movie .
You go with this script and Superman fans will probably be like "Huh? This isn't superman" . Then you might have a bomb on your hands.

but if the studio wants to throw their money away......whatever

#500234 - 09/27/02 03:08 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Dan Carroll Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by WADE:
It's like taking a gamble when you have a sure thing already. If you stay loyal to the comic you've got millions of Superman fans that will see it, love it and tell everyone else to go see it.

The same millions of fans who buy what's in the comic each week?

Quote:
40.....84.46....SUPERMAN #181...$2.25...DC....37,883

Movies and comics have different ideas on what kind of numbers constitute success. And from a marketing standpoint, you can quite easily say, "Well... it's not like America's dying to see what they already have. Let's give 'em something different."

#500235 - 09/27/02 03:10 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
J33Edwards Offline

Loc: Illinois
Sweet I'm getting my tickets in advance!

#500236 - 09/27/02 03:13 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
BrianH Offline

You have to buy the comic every week to be a fan of Superman)? come on, you know and i know that their are millions of people that have read and liked Superman comics (and became fans of the character because of these comics). This doesn't necessarily mean they still read the comics right now.

#500237 - 09/27/02 03:24 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Dan Carroll Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Every week? No. But if these millions of people still had an interest in Superman as it is, it would be reflected in higher sales than 37,000.

Lots of people have liked Superman. And I'm sure the assumption from the marketing department is "but they outgrew it. Let's change it so they enjoy it as adults." Why do you think Smallville owes more to James Van Der Beek than it does to Siegel and Shuster?

Millions of people had Cabbage Patch Kids as children. It doesn't mean they'd see a movie about them now.

#500238 - 09/27/02 03:32 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
BrianH Offline

Still a gamble .....
i think you're banking on people that enjoyed the comics during the 60's,70's,80's,90's....etc to either be dead or have bad memories.

Bottom line is that the thing's definitely gonna bomb if they go with that script (of course....IMO)

#500239 - 09/27/02 03:42 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Andrey Kovrin Offline

I actually think you do need to tweak these things a little. Hey, it's not like the comics haven't done it. Particularly the visuals... outfits like Superman's were designed for the four-color printing process and look strange on the movie screen. No, I'm not saying he needs black leather or something... I think the Ultimate version of Captain America was a good job of shifting a traditional comic book outfit in the direction of something someone might believably wear.

#500240 - 09/27/02 03:55 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
The OC Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mvoid:

Actually, I heard a different version of the same story. (Although I may be wrong.) The one I heard was that Superman #75 was supposed to be Lois & Clark's wedding. But two seasons down the road, they were getting married on the show. So Warner Bros wanted them married at the same time, and told the creative teams "just think up a plot for the next couple years. Y'know, fill it with something."

Needless to say this angered them. So they thought of something else to do with issue #75. smile

That's the more accurate version, though some details don't quite match the news reports at the time. DC got double-faked -- ready to marry them, but delayed to match the show, and then the show abruptly decided to marry them after all. I think this was over the course of only one year, though.

"You have [my] contempt." -- Alan Light to disappointed TBG subscriber.

#500241 - 09/27/02 04:54 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Dave Miller Offline

The Last Temptation of Kal-El.

#500242 - 09/27/02 05:33 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Peter David Offline

Loc: NY, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Scout99:

Maybe it's the fact, Peter, that in the comic book industry, there's not a lot of pretentious (and overly bad) creative input from the exectuives, unlike Hollywood (George Lucas and others are lucky to fund their own work.). I don't know the industry as well as you, but other than an editor and a editor-in-chief, I don't think you have had to lock horns with suits, who haven't written a work of fiction, in your career.

I could be wrong, though. Tell us if you have.

Jenette Kahn generally left day-to-day operations to her subordinates, but there were certainly times where she got involved...including the SUPERGIRL storyline involving the reveal of Comet's identity.

And Bill Jemas, who hadn't written or even read comics to my knowledge, had his hands all over the "Ultimates" line. Plus mandates have routinely come down over the years from Marvel suits...not story specific so much as, "From now on we want this" or "You can't do that."

And, Oh my God, let's not even get *in* to the meddling of the Comics Code Authority.

The bottom line is that Hollywood makes routine changes on classics that had been around for centuries. In a world where Hester Prynn or Quasimodo get happy endings, why do people spend time and energy going nuts over whatever Hollywood's going to do to comic book characters? We should realize that nothing is immune from Hollywood tampering and instead decide simply whether we're going to go see it or not when it comes out. And yes, absolutely, think of it as an "Elseworlds" story, because really, what else *is* it supposed to be *but* that? The comics are the comics, and the movie versions happen over on Earth-Flick.

PAD

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >