Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#500273 - 09/29/02 06:35 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Jimbo Offline

Loc: New Zealand/Canada
There is a petition you can sign that is trying to stop this oh so bad movie travisty from ever reaching film.

I sure as hell won't see it if they keep with this script, what kind of...argh don't get me started.

Anyway, go to the following link and sign! (I'm not even a superman fan, but we can't let them get away with this CRAP.)

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/sprmn5/

Also, get everyone you know to sign this aswell.

#500274 - 09/29/02 09:58 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Todd D Frye Offline

Loc: harrogate tn
Well, if it were the Bush administration who had 'leaked' the script, then we would KNOW it was definitely fake.

Todd "Regime Change" Frye
Movie Monsters

#500275 - 09/30/02 08:58 AM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Elayne Riggs Offline

Loc: Bronx, NY, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Walt Stone:
And any firings or remaking of the script on this movie can now, rightly or wrongly, be attached to this trial balloon.

Can and will, by people not aware of how this kind of thing happens all the time anyway. But perception isn't always reality.

- Elayne

#500276 - 09/30/02 09:40 AM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Dan Carroll Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by Stygian Starbender:
Let's say a screenplay writer pens a story about a hard-drinking, foul-mouthed cyborg detective, living in a future post-apocalyptic London, who delves into mysterious crimes with his robot companion named "Watts", and after solving the mystery, the cyborg detective blows off the head the offender with a laser-blaster in his cybernetic right arm, and the writer names the character "Sherlock Holmes".

I would see this movie in a second, provided the cyborg's name was S.H.E.R.L.O.C.K., or maybe Holmes-1.

#500277 - 09/30/02 01:23 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Scout99 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Vox Sapien:
Posted by Scout99

My suggestions for Superman 5:

Superman foils another crime operated by corrput businessman Lex Luthor. Luthor's pissed, putting a warrant out for Superman. Many thugs get their butts kicked. Lois wants to marry Clark/Supes, but "responsibility" hold the Boy Scout back, plus she would be in danger. Brainiac gets the warrant, after arriving on Earth. He sics Doomsday on Supes and win. Earth mourns. Heroes fights against Doomsday and are beaten up badly. Batman invents a Clark Kent robot as a cover. Lois gets kidnapped by Luthor's thugs. Brainiac double crosses Luthor after being buds. He wants the whole world. Superman's spirit on a higher existence plane, talks to Jor-El and Lara. They tell him about Brainiac. Superman goes to the yellow sun, comes out reborn. Fights Doomsday and Brainiac and wins. Luthor gets slugged by Batman. Clark and Lois get married.

There shouldn`t be other super-heroes in any super-hero films in my opinion.

Why not? It makes it a little more interesting. Besides, there's no copyright troubles since the WB studios own DC Comics?

#500278 - 09/30/02 01:44 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Shoegaze99 Offline

Loc: Not Applicable, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Eel O'Brian:
Oh, I agree. To use the example of Jaws again - the novel was a somewhat boring Soap Opera which left nary a mark on my memory, and has one of the most anticlimactic endings I've ever read. The movie, I can watch endlessly.

In my mind, the definitive "film surpasses the book" example will always be "The Godfather," which is not only a far and away better piece of work than the book upon which it's based, but is one of the greatest films ever made.

It can happen. It's rare, due in no small part to media differences, but it can happen.

#500279 - 09/30/02 01:51 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Shoegaze99 Offline

Loc: Not Applicable, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo:
There is a petition you can sign that is trying to stop this oh so bad movie travisty from ever reaching film.

Not to get in the way of your protesting fun
or anything, but I just want to point out that Petition Online and all petitions associated with it are an utter waste of time if you actually intend to have your message taken seriously.

Anybody can put up any petition about anything at all without any filtering - I'm sure others saw the flap over the troll petition asking the name of the next Lord of the Rings film to be changed because Tolkien was insensitive in naming the book after the World Trade Center, for instance - and it has never been shown in any capacity that the petitions have ever done anything other than provide message board discussion fodder.

By all means, sign away. Just understand that Petition Online has yet to reach a level of credibility where one's signature means anything at all or carries any degree weight and convincing power.

#500280 - 09/30/02 03:49 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Sock Puppet #9.5 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Shoegaze99:
Just understand that Petition Online has yet to reach a level of credibility where one's signature means anything at all or carries any degree weight and convincing power.
wow!

Just like voting in the Florida elections!

#500281 - 10/01/02 12:05 AM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Peter David Offline

Loc: NY, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Stygian Starbender:

True, but changing one or two aspects of a script are one thing, but to re-write the whole book is another. If you change EVERYTHING about a character, it ceases to be the character that it originally was.

Let's say a screenplay writer pens a story about a hard-drinking, foul-mouthed cyborg detective, living in a future post-apocalyptic London, who delves into mysterious crimes with his robot companion named "Watts", and after solving the mystery, the cyborg detective blows off the head the offender with a laser-blaster in his cybernetic right arm, and the writer names the character "Sherlock Holmes".

Now does the fact that he lives in London, and he "solves" mysteries make him Arthur Conan Doyle's, 'Sherlock Holmes'..? In my opinion, this writer simply wanted to write a story about a Mad Max/Judge Dread rip-off, and then decided to plaster the name 'Sherlock Holmes' on him.

I wouldn't disagree with that. But you're missing my point, and I'll use your own example to prove it:

Can you see Hollywood producing a film called "SHERLOCK HOLMES 2050" and doing *exactly* what you described? Because I sure can. Easily.

See, *my* point is that Hollywood messing with Superman would just be business as usual, and it's a waste for fans to get worked up about it because Superman may be invulnerable to many things, but Hollywood overhaul is not one of them.

PAD

#500282 - 10/01/02 02:06 AM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
shendricks Offline

Loc: Rockville, MD, USA
Did you hear that Radner is planning to star Jackie Chan as Superman and Chris Tucker as Lex Luthor? Could be fun. wink

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >