Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
#500283 - 10/01/02 06:57 AM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Jeff Lane Offline

Loc: Evansville, IN
My thinking with The Ultimates/Hollywood comparison is, when you walk into a comic shop, you have a choice to go with the Ultimate line, or stay with the regular Marvel Universe. Comic fans know the difference.

Now, the general public that wants to see the Superman movie only gets what this script says. It portrays Superman vastly different to the mainstream public than he is in the comics, even with his many changes from '38 till now.

We know that it's just Hollywood messing things up as usual, but for the movie goer who remembers the Donner film, they know that Krypton blew up. Now they see this, and what would they think? I guess only time will tell.

#500284 - 10/01/02 10:25 AM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Elayne Riggs Offline

Loc: Bronx, NY, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter David:
Can you see Hollywood producing a film called "SHERLOCK HOLMES 2050" and doing *exactly* what you described? Because I sure can. Easily.

I find myself unable to raise any sort of voice of protest against the upcoming Treasure Planet, whether or not it leaves Robert Louis Stevenson spinning in his grave. I'm actually looking forward to it. I can certainly see the same reaction to Eel's hypothetical example. Heck, Alan Moore updates icons all the time (his League of Extraordinary Gentlemen being the latest example) and receives praise, not condemnation. There will always be some folks who like this sort of icon-malleability and other folks who think it's blasphemy.

- Elayne

#500285 - 10/01/02 11:35 AM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Eel O'Brian Offline

Loc: North Kackalackee
Quote:
Originally posted by Elayne Riggs:

I find myself unable to raise any sort of voice of protest against the upcoming Treasure Planet, whether or not it leaves Robert Louis Stevenson spinning in his grave. I'm actually looking forward to it. I can certainly see the same reaction to Eel's hypothetical example. Heck, Alan Moore updates icons all the time (his League of Extraordinary Gentlemen being the latest example) and receives praise, not condemnation. There will always be some folks who like this sort of icon-malleability and other folks who think it's blasphemy.

- Elayne

That wasn't me, that was Stygian Starbender.

#500286 - 10/01/02 12:15 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Stygian Starbender Offline

Loc: Stygian home world, Shi'Ar gal...
Quote:
Originally posted by Elayne Riggs:

- Elayne

True, but Alan Moore is a damn good writer. And even in his re-imagining of characters, he tends to keep the "heart & soul" of the character intact. Just re-read his 'Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?' and you'll see what I mean.

I'm sorry, but that Superman script by Abrams & Peters reads like an astoundingly crap-tacular epic. Let Moore write it! Let PAD write it! Anything they come up with would be 1,000 times better than that.

(Alex Clarke)

#500287 - 10/01/02 12:44 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Steve Hogan Offline

Loc: Burlington, VT 05401
The script is legit, though likely to be rewritten heavily.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=13404

#500288 - 10/01/02 01:17 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Walt Stone Offline

Loc: Katy, Tx
Quote:
Originally posted by Stygian Starbender:
I'm sorry, but that Superman script by Abrams & Peters reads like an astoundingly crap-tacular epic. Let Moore write it! Let PAD write it! Anything they come up with would be 1,000 times better than that.
When Abrams' title character in Felicity cut her hair in real life, it damn near killed the series right there. Small changes can hurt.

#500289 - 10/01/02 04:18 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Sock Puppet #9.5 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hogan:
The script is legit, though likely to be rewritten heavily. http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=13404
Sock Puppet #9.5's Script revision suggestion:
- Jimmy Olsen no longer gay. But Lois Lane now is!

#500290 - 10/01/02 09:02 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Dave Miller Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Lane:
My thinking with The Ultimates/Hollywood comparison is, when you walk into a comic shop, you have a choice to go with the Ultimate line, or stay with the regular Marvel Universe. Comic fans know the difference.

Now, the general public that wants to see the Superman movie only gets what this script says. It portrays Superman vastly different to the mainstream public than he is in the comics, even with his many changes from '38 till now.

We know that it's just Hollywood messing things up as usual, but for the movie goer who remembers the Donner film, they know that Krypton blew up. Now they see this, and what would they think? I guess only time will tell.

Even if the continuity of the comics is different from the continuity of the film, as far as Warners is concerned, the comic books are just another piece of merchandise, maybe more of a cash cow than a keychain, but less of a money-maker than a movie. They'll make whatever movie they think will bring in the most money.

There are many differences between the average comic book fan and the average filmgoer. For example, the average filmgoer could give a shit about series continuity. The Donner film came out 25 years ago; anyone with a shred of common sense will realize the new film is a separate entity, and will most likely be amused and titillated by the changes, if they even stop to think about them.

#500291 - 10/05/02 02:09 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
RCRUZ Offline

Loc: Guaynabo, P.R.
Re: It's the nipples, stupid!

We can all agree that when something from one medium gets adapted to another -- changes occur.

Fine. Everybody knows that.

But we should also agree that when the changes (be they cosmetic or significant plot points) are featured and take center stage to the degree that they become MORE important than the material that provided the inspiration to make the adaption in the first place -- we have a problem.

Superman is an icon that has sixty - plus years of changes in its character in just the comics ALONE.

People with more time on their hands than I have tracked and catalogued them. MORE power to them (BTW) and thanks for the reference material. Some are minute, some contradict flat out!

Again, that's history. Fine.

It astounds me that with the risks, the potential cost and the potential loss facing those that make feature films, TPTB would still go ahead and piss off a fan base -- whose word of mouth CAN do a lot of harm -- and make a movie to "prove a point".

I got just some "choice" titles for those those arrogant SOBs: "Batman and Robin", Superman III, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace.

And to them I say: Go for it!

Go ahead and fool people to invest money in a movie whose name and "S" symbol may be recognized the world over but is not invulnerable from bombing at the Box Office, especially after some really GOOD movies like "Spider-Man", "Blade".

It's your millions -- not mine.

#500292 - 10/05/02 05:40 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Walt Stone Offline

Loc: Katy, Tx
Revisions to characters (or sets of characters) is part of a calculated decision making process that shouldn't be handled by those not adept and experienced.

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9