Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#500253 - 09/28/02 02:18 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
heckboy Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jollyman:
Thats almost as weird as that wacky British version of the Avengers.

Y'know the one where Jarvis in a bowler was the main character and the Wasp without any powers was his sidekick, except they had different names, and no other Avengers where part of the show?

LOL

Chris Bailey
http://www.majordamage.net

"The greater the artist, the greater the doubt; perfect confidence is granted to the less talented as a consolation prize."

-Robert Hughes

#500254 - 09/28/02 02:31 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
heckboy Offline

You know, I don't really care what details they change from the original comic if the filmmakers simply "get it." I think the "Smallville" people get it, the committee who put together this script clearly don't. X-Men worked better than Batman & Robin for this very reason. Counting changes from the comic is a silly excercise and won't get you anywhere.

Why Hollywood buys the rights to a hero and then tosses everything except the name is the 8th wonder of the world.

Chris Bailey
http://www.majordamage.net

"The greater the artist, the greater the doubt; perfect confidence is granted to the less talented as a consolation prize."

-Robert Hughes

#500255 - 09/28/02 02:46 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Eel O'Brian Offline

Loc: North Kackalackee
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter David:

And vastly improved, in my opinion. That's something else people never discuss: Sometimes the movie versions *are* demonstrably better. The ending of the film version of "The Firm" was far more ingenious than the uninspired conclusion of the book.

PAD

Oh, I agree. To use the example of Jaws again - the novel was a somewhat boring Soap Opera which left nary a mark on my memory, and has one of the most anticlimactic endings I've ever read. The movie, I can watch endlessly. As can anyone else who gets The Superstation on cable.

#500256 - 09/28/02 03:18 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
kingtut Offline

Loc: CS, CO
I think a huge part of a comic movie is that the makers of the movie are fans of the comics.

Ang Lee is a huge Hulk fan, as with Sam Raimi and Spider-Man. And even though Brian Singer said he wasnt a manic fan of the comic, the producers he was surrounded with were huge X-Men fans.

Some of the scenes from Superman sound awesome, the mountain scene, some of the fight scenes.

Some look horrible, the costume coming out of the box, kung fu matrix fighting.

I think Avi Arad is a huge part of Marvel's success with the movies.

#500257 - 09/28/02 04:02 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
gwalla Offline

Loc: Berkeley, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter David:
And vastly improved, in my opinion. That's something else people never discuss: Sometimes the movie versions *are* demonstrably better. The ending of the film version of "The Firm" was far more ingenious than the uninspired conclusion of the book.

Of course, when you're adapting from Grisham, that isn't hard...

If you need help, skim through my Quick & Dirty Guide to IRC

"I prefer someone who would burn the flag and wrap himself in the Constitution than someone who would burn the Constitution and wrap himself in the flag."
- Craig Washington

#500258 - 09/28/02 04:18 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Chemo Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by WADE:

8.)Apparently Jimmy Olsen is gay......for no reason

They say Jon Peters, after seeing CHASING AMY and STAR WARS SPECIAL EDITION, wanted to incorporate a gay robot into a film, possibly the Burton Superman. Maybe it'll turn out that Jimmy Olsen is actually a Kryptonian android sent by Jor-El to keep watch over Kal-El.

#500259 - 09/28/02 07:43 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Graeme McMillan Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA
*hitting my head against the wall*

THE SCRIPT THAT WAS LEAKED WAS FAKE.

Not only was this pretty obvious from day one - the leaked script had TOO many divergences from the classic set-up that everyone knows, no matter what version (Krypton exploding, Lex Luthor being your basic - albeit sometimes genius, sometimes not - human being), something that WB would never let through for fear of killing a possible franchise before it had even got started - but there are now plenty rumours floating around that the script was deliberately leaked by WB to get people talking about the project in the first place, just before it got officially announced, and the writer starts giving interviews where he says things like "Oh, Luthor's definitely going to be human" like he does in the new Aint It Cool News interview...

It was just something to start the hype by getting fanboys' knickers in twists... and it worked perfectly.

#500260 - 09/28/02 09:57 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Walt Stone Offline

Loc: Katy, Tx
Quote:
Originally posted by Smile:
*hitting my head against the wall*

THE SCRIPT THAT WAS LEAKED WAS FAKE.

Not only was this pretty obvious from day one
Abrams pretty much admitted to writing the script that Moriarty got ahold of.

But you think that a purposefully bad script was written and then released? And that this is some masterful plot?

Now THAT'S entertainment!

Nah. You give someone a whole lot of credit.

#500261 - 09/28/02 10:07 PM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Eel O'Brian Offline

Loc: North Kackalackee
Walt -

In this day and age of studios not making a move without a million different types of focus groups and polls, I really wouldn't put it past a studio to 'leak' a 'script' packed with every off-the-wall idea possible, to gauge the different reactions.

#500262 - 09/29/02 03:45 AM Re: "Let's crap on an Icon" or New Superman movie a go!
Vox Sapien Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Posted by Scout6

My suggestions for Superman 5:

Superman foils another crime operated by corrput businessman Lex Luthor. Luthor's pissed, putting a warrant out for Superman. Many thugs get their butts kicked. Lois wants to marry Clark/Supes, but "responsibility" hold the Boy Scout back, plus she would be in danger. Brainiac gets the warrant, after arriving on Earth. He sics Doomsday on Supes and win. Earth mourns. Heroes fights against Doomsday and are beaten up badly. Batman invents a Clark Kent robot as a cover. Lois gets kidnapped by Luthor's thugs. Brainiac double crosses Luthor after being buds. He wants the whole world. Superman's spirit on a higher existence plane, talks to Jor-El and Lara. They tell him about Brainiac. Superman goes to the yellow sun, comes out reborn. Fights Doomsday and Brainiac and wins. Luthor gets slugged by Batman. Clark and Lois get married.

There shouldn`t be other super-heroes in any super-hero films in my opinion.

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >