Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#504457 - 12/23/02 10:48 AM Aragorn speaks out on Iraq!
Matt Hawes Offline

Loc: Evansville, IN U.S.A.
I watched PBS's "Charlie Rose" program this past week. I usually check out his show as I enjoy his interviews and there's no annoying commercials to break up the conversation.

Anyway, Viggo Mortenson, Aragorn of the LORD of the RINGS movies was a guest, along with Elijah Wood and Peter Jackson. Viggo had some interesting comments about Iraq, America, and the TWO TOWERS. I don't agree with him, but I'd like to see what others think. I found a transcript at this site:

VIGGO on Iraq.

[img]http://members.aol.com/comicsunlimited/xmas.jpg[/img]

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
Evansville, Indiana 47711
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#504458 - 12/23/02 10:55 AM Re: Aragorn speaks out on Iraq!
ElvisH Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Hawes:
I watched PBS's "Charlie Rose" program this past week. I usually check out his show as I enjoy his interviews and there's no annoying commercials to break up the conversation.

Anyway, Viggo Mortenson, Aragorn of the LORD of the RINGS movies was a guest, along with Elijah Wood and Peter Jackson. Viggo had some interesting comments about Iraq, America, and the TWO TOWERS. I don't agree with him, but I'd like to see what others think.

Edited to add non-Hawesque content, ie. a question I'm genuinely interested in seeing answered:
What do you disagree with him?

#504459 - 12/23/02 01:24 PM Re: Aragorn speaks out on Iraq!
Doctor Awesome Offline

Loc: Citadel of Cool
I remember seeing this when it first aired and thinking, "Well, here's something of use on television."

Normally I fucking hate bleeding heart Bono/Sting self-righteous types, but Viggo was pretty cool about it. He made no mention of it until asked (not that the shirt was any deterrant, certainly), and he's-

I mean, you NEVER see this POV in the American media. Maybe they'll run a three second piece on some Hollywood yokel now and then:

"...so no snow for Michigan this Christmas season. In other news, movie star Sean Penn goes to Iraq. The CONTROVERSIAL actor, who WAS ARRESTED for ASSAULTING A CAMERAMAN in 1987, and for POSSESSION OF ILLICIT DRUGS later, SO REMEMBER THAT HE'S CRAZY AND SHOULDN'T BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY, visited Baghdad to 'see the human face of Iraq, so that the blood on his hands is a visible thing'. Whatever! Now, ladies and gentlemen, ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!!?"

Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, whatever other celebrities are big enough to get short blurbs in the press, y'know. But you never really see this perspective full and fleshed-out anywhere in the U.S.

So, I guess I'm putting any 'self-righteous' judgments aside in favor of simply getting this view out there.

Even if I didn't agree with him, it's nice to get two-dimensional news once in awhile.

Besides, he was pretty cool about it.

Ah, Viggo.

- The Gorch

#504460 - 12/23/02 01:27 PM Re: Aragorn speaks out on Iraq!
Doctor Awesome Offline

Loc: Citadel of Cool
I'd like to amend my comment about hating self-righteous types such as Sting and Bono.

I really just hate Sting and Bono.

- The Gorch

#504461 - 12/23/02 01:29 PM Re: Aragorn speaks out on Iraq!
Matt Hawes Offline

I should say I don't agree with everything Viggo said. I agree, like Elijah, that it doesn't hurt to question things. But I do not see America as a villain. Things are not so clear cut in world politics, on either side. I actually do think part of this Iraq situation is that Bush, Jr. is trying to make up for daddy's botched job, but Hussein is no Frodo.

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#504462 - 12/23/02 01:52 PM Re: Aragorn speaks out on Iraq!
davidc Offline

Loc: So. Cal
Interesting comments in that article. Thanks for posting it.

It's an easy connection to make with the movie and current events. I thought of the conflict myself while listening to one of the speaches the Samwise character makes in the 2 Towers movie, but had to remember that the movie was finished long beforehand. Many people have tried to link Tolkien's books to WW2 events, which he always denied. It's a shame that there's another world conflict going on to compare them to.

#504463 - 12/23/02 01:53 PM Re: Aragorn speaks out on Iraq!
ScottChantler Offline

Loc: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, whatever other celebrities are big enough to get short blurbs in the press, y'know. But you never really see this perspective full and fleshed-out anywhere in the U.S.

I don't know...it seems to me that CNN spends as much time covering the resistance to the war on Iraq as they do the war itself. But even if they didn't, let's face it...legitimate news organizations can't drop everything every time somebody questions American foreign policy. I agree with Viggo and Co.'s stance that "questioning is good" (duh!), but besides that he doesn't do a very good job making his point against war on Iraq. There's lots of folks out there who think that the more controversial their opinion is the more true it is as well, and prominent actors are maybe not the people who should be leading the debate about foreign diplomacy.

For instance, every time I see Sean Penn on TV shooting his mouth off about this or that, I just remember the time I saw him passed out next to a vending machine in the Miami airport, and that reminds me to take what he says with a grain of salt.

Myself, I'm not really decided on the whole Iraq issue...I think Iraq deserves a good spanking and has been jerking the US around for about a decade too long. But I also think it'd be about the worst thing the US could do as far as further straining their relationship with the Arab world. It is, after all, the first Gulf War that eventually led to September 11th.

I don't disgree with the US, I just think that they could really use some good PR. Because they're losing the propaganda war. When actors from your hit films are on Charlie Rose spouting your enemy's catch phrases, there's something clearly wrong.

"The more wonderful the means of communication, the more trivial, tawdry, or depressing its contents seemed to be."
- Arthur C. Clarke

#504464 - 12/23/02 01:58 PM Re: Aragorn speaks out on Iraq!
Dan Carroll Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by ScottChantler:
legitimate news organizations can't drop everything every time somebody questions American foreign policy.

Technically, they're the ones who are supposed to be doing the questioning. (No matter what party's in power.)

Given how little government watch-dogging the news organizations actually take part in, they might as well outsource it to others...

#504465 - 12/23/02 02:02 PM Re: Aragorn speaks out on Iraq!
Shoegaze99 Offline

Loc: Not Applicable, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Awesome:
I mean, you NEVER see this POV in the American media.

?

Quote:
"...so no snow for Michigan this Christmas season. In other news, movie star Sean Penn goes to Iraq. The CONTROVERSIAL actor, who WAS ARRESTED for ASSAULTING A CAMERAMAN in 1987, and for POSSESSION OF ILLICIT DRUGS later, SO REMEMBER THAT HE'S CRAZY AND SHOULDN'T BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY, visited Baghdad to 'see the human face of Iraq, so that the blood on his hands is a visible thing'. Whatever! Now, ladies and gentlemen, ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!!?"

Nice hyperbole, though.

Anyway ...

Matt, there were some interesting discussions on alt.fan.tolkien and rec.arts.books.tolkien when this interview first aired. Both groups are swamped with film posts at the moment, but Google should turn up some interesting (and a slew of not-very-thoughtful-or-interesting) comments regarding the interview. Some are film/Tolkien related, some concern how appropriate the discussion was in that context, and others just debate the politics involved in the situation. Good stuff, if you're inclined to read that sort of thing.

Charlie Rose is a great interviewer, but I was disappointed that he allowed the issue to distract from what could have been some interesting insight into the creative process of these very talented people. Without commenting on Viggo's view, I can only say it was neither the time nor the place, and Charlie Rose could have handled it better. (Viggo was well-spoken on the issue, incidentally)

#504466 - 12/23/02 02:21 PM Re: Aragorn speaks out on Iraq!
Matt Hawes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Shoegaze99:

Charlie Rose is a great interviewer, but I was disappointed that he allowed the issue to distract from what could have been some interesting insight into the creative process of these very talented people. Without commenting on Viggo's view, I can only say it was neither the time nor the place, and Charlie Rose could have handled it better. (Viggo was well-spoken on the issue, incidentally)

First, thanks for the recommendation concerning the Tolkien boards.

Second, I agree with you that Charlie Rose shouldn't have let the subject of the movie get derailed by a political discussion. Peter Jackson looked uncomfortable during the whole time Charlie and Viggo were discussing Iraq. But, in fairness to Charlie, Viggo's t-shirt was crying out for comment. When I saw what it said I knew tp brace myself for a soapbox discussion about the impending conflict with Iraq.

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >