Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#504467 - 12/23/02 04:51 PM Re: Aragorn speaks out on Iraq!
Doctor Awesome Offline

Loc: Citadel of Cool
Quote:
Originally posted by Shoegaze99:

Nice hyperbole, though.

It was sarcastic.

Jesus.

- The Gorch

#504468 - 12/23/02 05:07 PM Re: Aragorn speaks out on Iraq!
yo Offline

Vigo is right to a certain extent:If American's are relating the LOTR epic to the political climate we are in I can't see how.I do see how it could be related to WW1-WW2 era.Vwry Much in fact.

#504469 - 12/23/02 05:12 PM Re: Aragorn speaks out on Iraq!
Shoegaze99 Offline

Loc: Not Applicable, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Awesome:
It was sarcastic.

Jesus.

Yes. Sarcastic hyperbole intended to reinforce your point.

Anyway, I complimented you on your fine use while citing its use. Take the compliment and run while it's available.

Quote:
Originally posted by yo:
Vigo is right to a certain extent:If American's are relating the LOTR epic to the political climate we are in I can't see how.

I don't think any Americans have made that connection, save some media goons.

#504470 - 12/23/02 05:22 PM Re: Aragorn speaks out on Iraq!
yo Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ScottChantler:
[QB]

For instance, every time I see Sean Penn on TV shooting his mouth off about this or that, I just remember the time I saw him passed out next to a vending machine in the Miami airport, and that reminds me to take what he says with a grain of salt.

I don't see the point the media [FOX} makes by demonizing Penn and pointing out his flaws because he has an opinion opposite of theirs.HE's been arrested therefore he's as suspect as Saddam [a fox new's woman SAID this}.You know according to the same station's reporting 1 in 7 American males have been in jail at some point in there lives for something or will be.1 in 7? maybe the law's are a little to ALL inclusive and maybe because you've been arrested and spent a night in lockup it does'nt make your point of view criminal.
Every response to an opinion they don't like is met with "oh that guy's an actor or he's a teacher"what do they know.You have to be a professional politican to have a public opinion these day's and even then if it's not status quo there's a good chance they will destroy your public image.
To me this is a frightening time for civil liberties.

#504471 - 12/23/02 05:27 PM Re: Aragorn speaks out on Iraq!
yo Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Shoegaze99:

I don't think any Americans have made that connection, save some media goons.

That's good,Vigo had said something to that effect in the interview and I was wondering what kind of bafoon approached him with that interpretation of LOTR's?

#504472 - 12/23/02 05:28 PM Re: Aragorn speaks out on Iraq!
Doctor Awesome Offline

Oh, I know the media admits to an anti-war movement, but do they ever really give these people some time to explain their position in detail?

Meanwhile, you've got headlines and coverage with Bush claiming discrepencies in Iraq's arms declaration, however, so far, there's been no evidence (as in none whatsoever) to back these claims up.

Secondly (Oh we're in full-on rant right now), it seems they're being a bit hypocritical, anyway. I mean, don't WE have weapons of mass destruction? Doesn't Britain? Or India? Or France?

I mean, if that's our rationale for going to war- because said country has nuclear, chemical, biological weapons- are we going to take on everybody else?

"Oh, well he's a madman."

Oh, yeah? Okay. That's good enough for me. I don't need to think any further on this issue.

I don't think Viggo's point was that the U.S. is clearly evil and Iraq is clearly good. I believe he was just saying, "We have an incredibly arrogant foreign policy, and for all of Iraq's faults (some of which started with us), aggression is not the way to go about this. I think that we are in the wrong in this method."

The parallel to Lord of the Rings was faulty, seeing as how this is the REAL WORLD, with only shades of gray, but I take it with a grain of salt that this was the first thing that popped in his head.

And on principle I agree that political causes and other excuses for self-promotion should not take precedent in a simple film discussion, but:

It just seems (to me) that when there is such a lack of voice for such causes, I don't mind a Lord of the Rings discussion being interrupted.

It's just a fucking movie.

I'm sure any and all creative inputs will be covered in DVD releases and Special Supra DVD releases and other forums ad naseum until the end of time.

- The Gorch

#504473 - 12/23/02 05:34 PM Re: Aragorn speaks out on Iraq!
Doctor Awesome Offline

"Yes. Sarcastic hyperbole intended to reinforce your point. Anyway, I complimented you on your fine use while citing its use. Take the compliment and run while it's available."

Ah. Yes. My uneducated badness. Excuse me.

(gruff gruff embarassed indignation gruff gruff)

- The Gorch

#504474 - 12/23/02 09:02 PM Re: Aragorn speaks out on Iraq!
NicholasWyche Offline

Loc: Memphis, TN, USA
I find it terrifying that I agree with Matt Hawes on this (given how much I disagree with hi on any and everything comics-related.)

I also find it terrifying that people in this country still consistently look at and listen to actors' opinions on politics. Actors get paid to mak-believe and live in an unrealistic world. They are probably as far out of the real world as it is possible to get, but because they are famous some people still think they have opinions worth listening to.

Oh well, at least that gives us an idea of who is worth listening to and who's not.

#504475 - 12/23/02 09:46 PM Re: Aragorn speaks out on Iraq!
yo Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by NicholasWyche:
II also find it terrifying that people in this country still consistently look at and listen to actors' opinions on politics. Actors get paid to mak-believe and live in an unrealistic world. They are probably as far out of the real world as it is possible to get, but because they are famous some people still think they have opinions worth listening to.

well, at least that gives us an idea of who is worth listening to and who's not.

Ronald Regan was an Actor and his opinion's were listened to.

Because so one say's something that may be sensible we should'nt dicount it because they are Actor's or burger flipper's at MickeyD's.Actor's may get paid a bit more than some of you but they are'nt much different,they are affected like we are by the people who make law's and war.When it comes down to it they have as much power as we do so if Sean Penn say's something stupid it has no more effect than if Nick Wyche say's it.If George Bush say's something stupid and uniformed it could cost many lives yet he seem's to take less care with his word's these day's.
People who swallow whatever's thrown at them by Professional lawmaker's without question are the most un american of them all.

#504476 - 12/23/02 09:58 PM Re: Aragorn speaks out on Iraq!
Doctor Awesome Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by yo:

Ronald Regan was an Actor and his opinion's were listened to.

Because so one say's something that may be sensible we should'nt dicount it because they are Actor's or burger flipper's at MickeyD's.Actor's may get paid a bit more than some of you but they are'nt much different,they are affected like we are by the people who make law's and war.When it comes down to it they have as much power as we do so if Sean Penn say's something stupid it has no more effect than if Nick Wyche say's it.If George Bush say's something stupid and uniformed it could cost many lives yet he seem's to take less care with his word's these day's.
People who swallow whatever's thrown at them by Professional lawmaker's without question are the most un american of them all.

Paula Abdul, is that you?

Seriously now.

- The Gorch

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >