Page 46 of 48 < 1 2 ... 44 45 46 47 48 >
Topic Options
#505241 - 09/06/02 09:43 AM Re: CBLDF Appeals Texas Retailer Conviction
Dan Carroll Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by flying pig:
With nearly 1/3 of a store owners customer base is minors, wouldn't you except that the store owner ensures that adult material can't be accessed by them? If not, the store owner is only asking for trouble by the police or they will lose 30% of thier business because parents will not allow them in that store (I don't know any business that could survive a 30% decrease in business.).

Perhaps you couldn't, but isn't losing that business the store owners' call to make? Shouldn't they be allowed to cater to a solely adult audience if they want? (Even if they want to continue selling Pokemon cards?)

Quote:
As stated before censorship is when someone has the authority to tell another person what they can and can't write, draw, etc. Isn't that what an editor does?

As stated before, no. An editor informs the writer what the paper will publish. If the writer wants to write something the paper will publish, it's their call to make. If they want to keep their work as it originally was, it's not like anybody is putting a gun to their head.

Quote:
Not a single big movie studio nor distributing company will release a film without the MPAA rating.

Boo-hoo. Hit the art film theaters then. Artist have to make the choice between pure expression and extra cash all the time. But if they choose extra cash, then they're the ones who made that choice.

Quote:
So, the MPAA is a censorship board because they tell movie studios will be difference between an R and PG-13. They have told them what they can and can't produce.

No, they haven't. They've told them what they will approve. That approval, however, is not required to produce a movie. The movie can still be made without an MPAA rating, and can still be released. The fact that fewer people will purchase that movie (be it distributors, theaters, or moviegoers) is a matter of capitalism, not censorship.

Quote:
Yet, no one but the MPAA knows who rates the movies.

www.mpaa.org

Happy hunting.

Quote:
If the MPAA tells the producers of South Park what would get an NC-17 rating and what they would have to cut out to get an R rating, isn't that censorship?

No. Because they chose to have an R rating rather than keep their movie as is. The MPAA didn't force them to do anything.

#505242 - 09/06/02 10:06 AM Re: CBLDF Appeals Texas Retailer Conviction
Scout99 Offline

You're a 100% right, Dan, with the MPAA info.

#505243 - 09/06/02 11:10 AM Re: CBLDF Appeals Texas Retailer Conviction
flying pig Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
Mvoid,

You should send your def of censor and censorship to Websters. I can't believe that they would get it wrong.

I've looked at the website you pointed to. It doesn't say one thing about who sits on the ratings board. MPAA never has even when pressured by the media. Don't you find that kind of odd?

#505244 - 09/06/02 11:15 AM Re: CBLDF Appeals Texas Retailer Conviction
Scout99 Offline

Why don't you find out who sits on the board, flying pig?

Yeah, yeah. You'll ignore my posts. But you know you're so goddamn wrong. laugh

#505245 - 09/06/02 11:20 AM Re: CBLDF Appeals Texas Retailer Conviction
Dan Carroll Offline

Quote:
You should send your def of censor and censorship to Websters. I can't believe that they would get it wrong.

They haven't. You've misinterpreted it. I've explained why no less than three times now. If it hasn't sunk in, that's your loss.

#505246 - 09/06/02 12:59 PM Re: CBLDF Appeals Texas Retailer Conviction
Elayne Riggs Offline

Loc: Bronx, NY, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Mvoid:
If someone is writing Spiderman, they do not own the character Spiderman. Therefore, the decisions as to what is written in the book are not theirs to make. As the writer, they are granted a certain amount of decision-making power by the owners. But the owners have the final say.

This is borne out by the indicia, which has Marvel as the legal author of the work, not the writers and artists.

- Elayne

#505247 - 09/06/02 01:04 PM Re: CBLDF Appeals Texas Retailer Conviction
flying pig Offline

Mvoid,

Here is the def again.

1. A person authorized to examine books, films, or other material and to remove or suppress what is considered morally, politically, or otherwise objectionable.
2. An official, as in the armed forces, who examines personal mail and official dispatches to remove information considered secret or a risk to security.
3. One that condemns or censures.

Let's see. Wouldn't def 1 fit the description of that an eic job does when reviewing a book to see if fits company standards? It doesn't limit it to a person authorized to a government official or group. But silly me for reading what it says.

Scout,

You know who reviewed and gave Spiderman a PG-13? What are their names?

#505248 - 09/06/02 01:11 PM Re: CBLDF Appeals Texas Retailer Conviction
Dan Carroll Offline

Quote:
1. A person authorized to examine books, films, or other material and to remove or suppress what is considered morally, politically, or otherwise objectionable.

So the MPAA does not fit this definition. They are authorized only to withhold their approval, not to force change against the wishes of the producer of the work. They cannot simply remove the content. They can only say, "We won't like it if you don't."
Nor is a newspaper editor, who is able only to say, "we won't print this."
Nor is a comic editor, for the same reason.

As always, the writer (or film producer, or what have you) is able to take their work elsewhere and print it on their own. Unsurpressed, with no content removed. If they choose to alter their work instead, then that is their choice. Nobody has altered it for them.

In a case in which an editor is authorized to make changes to a writer's work themselves, it is only because it is a part of that writer's contract. In which case, the writer has given prior permission for the editor to do so. In other words, the changes are made with the author's consent.

Quote:
Let's see. Wouldn't def 1 fit the description of that an eic job does when reviewing a book to see if fits company standards?

No, for reasons I just said.

Quote:
It doesn't limit it to a person authorized to a government official or group. But silly me for reading what it says.

Not once over the course of this thread have I seen the slightest hint that you have read anything anyone said.

#505249 - 09/06/02 01:15 PM Re: CBLDF Appeals Texas Retailer Conviction
Scout99 Offline

Quote:

Scout,

You know who reviewed and gave Spiderman a PG-13? What are their names?

If you want to find out, Stephen Hawking, why don't you go on the website, www.mpaa.org and request a list of the people?

I swear, either you like being a jackass (just to have some demented form of self-confidence) or your mother had sex with one. Either way, you're
so wrong, you have the right to be that way and the right to be a jackass. laugh

"Fucking ponderous. Ponderous, man. Fucking ponderous."
-Casey Kasem

#505250 - 09/06/02 01:28 PM Re: CBLDF Appeals Texas Retailer Conviction
flying pig Offline

Scout,

I've gone there and they don't say who watchs and rates the movies.

Page 46 of 48 < 1 2 ... 44 45 46 47 48 >