Page 2 of 57 < 1 2 3 4 ... 56 57 >
Topic Options
#505316 - 12/20/02 02:59 PM Re: Why Gary Gripes! Why is mainstream evil in and of itself?
Matt Hawes Offline

Loc: Evansville, IN U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally posted by darryl comix:

Very seriously. As somebody else said, this is entertainment for you, but its some people's entire livlihood.

But, Darryl, why the need to put down others, even those that have died, simply because they choose not to read what you read, or buy what you sell? What's the point? Do you think it wins anyone over?

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
Evansville, Indiana 47711
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#505317 - 12/20/02 02:59 PM Re: Why Gary Gripes! Why is mainstream evil in and of itself?
snoid Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by MBunge:
A lot of mainstream entertainment is, of course, crap. But the idea that the crap quotient is any less in the so-called "alternative" or "fringe" media, is silly.

Mike

So true, I'd rather watch paint dry then read some of these "art' comics. Optic Nerve comes to mind.
99% of EVERTHING is crap, sure most of the most popular stuff is crap, but then you have stuff like the Simpsons.

#505318 - 12/20/02 03:40 PM Re: Why Gary Gripes! Why is mainstream evil in and of itself?
Joe Zabel Offline

Loc: Cleveland Heights, OH 44106
Matt-- If you need to go back to the Carol Kalish article to find something you object to in Groth's opinions, then am I correct in assuming that you are ignorant of his opinions? And if so, why are you going out of your way to whine about them?

#505319 - 12/20/02 03:52 PM Re: Why Gary Gripes! Why is mainstream evil in and of itself?
WGeorge Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
I have no stake in the Carol Kalish matter except to say that a lot of the attacks on her for selling Marvel comics to people are equally valid for anyone who ever drew a paycheck for Marvel. I imagine others who have avoided criticism while alive or dead had a lot more to do with the contents of those comics.

As for criticizing the sincerity of those who mourned her I do not consider myself qualified to evaluate what was in their hearts. I don't see how Groth was qualified to.

My problem with Groth editorials is often that even when he is right he sometimes gets so vituperative and personal that everyone forgets what he wrote about and just debates his manners. It always winds up being about personalities instead of his point or whether Groth is just settling personal scores. That's when he's right. When he's wrong it's worse. He is like a friend of mine that someone once said was right 95% of the time but when called on the 5% he became so hysterical and nasty that everyone just forgot about the 95%. I think he too often wins the battle by nastiness and therefore loses the war.

#505320 - 12/20/02 06:56 PM Re: Why Gary Gripes! Why is mainstream evil in and of itself?
Matt Hawes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Zabel:
Matt-- If you need to go back to the Carol Kalish article to find something you object to in Groth's opinions, then am I correct in assuming that you are ignorant of his opinions? And if so, why are you going out of your way to whine about them?

Oh, I don't have to go back to that. Peter David's column just made me think about it. I love it that asking a question about why Groth and his ilk tear down others because those others don't like the same things that they do is considering "whining."

You prove my point. Sad, but not unforeseen.

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#505321 - 12/20/02 06:58 PM Re: Why Gary Gripes! Why is mainstream evil in and of itself?
Matt Hawes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by WGeorge:
...I think he too often wins the battle by nastiness and therefore loses the war.

Groth nasty? Perish the thought. wink

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#505322 - 12/20/02 07:22 PM Re: Why Gary Gripes! Why is mainstream evil in and of itself?
Doctor Awesome Offline

Loc: Citadel of Cool
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Hawes:
[QB] Is it simply elitism? Snobby pretentious posturing? Really, I want to know. QB]

No. Not at all. Why, some of my best friends read Spider-Man. I myself have flipped through a couple issues.

I mean, y'know, Spider-Man's alright, I guess. Kind of a silly kid thing, really. It doesn't really touch on deeper levels that you might find in some of the cooler books.

Evan Dorkin's Milk and Cheese
A couple Oni books (before they widened their distribution)
Even some Mike Mignola (before he was published)

Y'know, I have no problem with mainstreamers- I just don't eat at their restaurants.

- The Gorch

#505323 - 12/20/02 07:33 PM Re: Why Gary Gripes! Why is mainstream evil in and of itself?
javagirl69 Offline

Loc: Hershey, Pa, USA
Well, I don't think we actually have time for the deconstruction of comix:

What is Indie?
What is Mainstream?

I think we have disussed this to death!!!

Let me just sum up my feelings on the subject:
If you read comics, and comics at all, I think that's cool.

But--- if you read independent comix, and can discuss then at length, then I will be yer best friend. And maybe hump your leg if you're funny.

wink

#505324 - 12/20/02 07:41 PM Re: Why Gary Gripes! Why is mainstream evil in and of itself?
Matt Hawes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Awesome:

...Evan Dorkin's Milk and Cheese...

Funny you should mention Evan Dorkin. I love his stuff, and I even read his interview in "The Comics Journal" (My hands burned at the touch). wink

That interview was great, and Evan talked about the elitist crowd to some degree. He is really not a part of that, and it shows. He is certainly independent, but he loves pop culture and the mainstream comics as much as anything else and it shows.

Dorkin rules! smile

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

#505325 - 12/20/02 07:52 PM Re: Why Gary Gripes! Why is mainstream evil in and of itself?
Matt Hawes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by javagirl:
...Let me just sum up my feelings on the subject:
If you read comics, and comics at all, I think that's cool.

But--- if you read independent comix, and can discuss then at length, then I will be yer best friend. And maybe hump your leg if you're funny.

wink

That's all I'm asking... Peace between the factions and a little leg mambo! wink

COMICS UNLIMITED
654-B E. Diamond Avenue
(812) 423-6952

www.comicsunlimited.biz

Page 2 of 57 < 1 2 3 4 ... 56 57 >