Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#506748 - 01/16/03 03:56 PM Re: "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, and I'll bomb you"
gene phillips Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allen:

Sadam's the guy who oversaw the use of poison gas against Iran and the Iranian people during the 1980-88 Iran-Iraq war, and summarily executed thousands of Iranian prisoners of war as a matter of policy. He used poison gas on cities in the "Anfal" campaign in the late 1980's against the Iraqi Kurds. In one of the worst single mass killings in recent history, Iraq dropped chemical weapons on Halabja in 1988, which killed as many as 5,000 people — mostly civilians.

Eleven empty chemical-weapon warheads were just found in good operating condition in Iraq. Read it here.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/world/DailyNews/iraq030116.html

Yeah, that Bush sure is a maroon for not trusting good ol', honest Saddam.

Give me a break. Disagreeing with a president politically is one thing, but to the point of taking the side of a despot like Hussein is, to me, mind-boggling.

Mark,
Nowhere on this thread or anywhere else have I "taken the side of a despot like Hussein." I would shed no tears to see him dead.

Also, the issue I brought up was not, "Why doesn't Bush TRUST good ol' honest Saddam?" It was, rather, "After pressuring Iraq to let the inspectors in, it stands to reason that if they don't find anything, Bush can't justifiably claim that Hussein has a secret cache of arms." This is not to suggest that I am unaware of Hussein's record of trying to obtain destructive weapons; obviously he's no babe in the woods, and it's been persuasively argued that if the Israelis hadn't attacked Iraq in the late 80's to eliminate a nuclear project, Iraq could've been nuclear during the Gulf War. I can readily believe that Saddam's tried to obtain weapons since then, that he might have some in violation of the treaty, and that he might have simply squirreled them away once the pressure for inspection intensified.

But Bush's "bold" statement that "they must disarm or else" does IMO make Bush like a maroon who's too impatient to let the inspectors do their job, OR someone who's anxious to make progress on an Iraqi war in order to benefit his big business buddies. And as it happens, the inspectors DID do their job, and uncovered some of those squirreled-away weapons.

This, however, leads to yet another possibility: that Bush made the statement a few days before the news was announced publicly because he had advance info, and wanted to look as if he were prescient in claiming that Saddam still had weapons.

Or do you consider that beyond the realm of possibility?

#506749 - 01/16/03 03:57 PM Re: "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, and I'll bomb you"
Jughead Jones Offline

Loc: Riverdale USA
Hussein (I don't feel I know the man well enough to be on a first-name basis) is a monster-- that's well established. He should never have been allowed to remain in power after the gulf war, and it was shameful the way Bush, then Clinton, allowed him to crush the opposition that the US encouraged at the end of the war.

BUT, G.W. Bush is being rather inconsistant. First, he demanded that weapons inspectors be allowed in, then, when Hussein agreed, Bush prepared to block weapons inspectors from reentering the country until he could get a UN resolution against Iraq.

I was disappointed to hear about the warheads found in Iraq. I had really been hoping to avoid a war there, but it seems now may be our best opportunity to remove Hussein from power.

#506750 - 01/16/03 04:09 PM Re: "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, and I'll bomb you"
Mark Allen Offline

Loc: Northwestern Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally posted by gene phillips:
This, however, leads to yet another possibility: that Bush made the statement a few days before the news was announced publicly because he had advance info, and wanted to look as if he were prescient in claiming that Saddam still had weapons.

Or do you consider that beyond the realm of possibility?

Of course it's not beyond the realm of possibility; Bush is a politician, who, like any, would probably have no qualms about such manipulations to make himself look good.

It's also, however, not beyond the realm of possibility that Blix (who has been outspoken against Bush) got nervous after his meeting yesterday with Condi Rice when she said his March report was not necessary. I can see Blix thinking "Oh, CRAP! They're going ahead with military action! We better come clean with what we've ALREADY found, make it look like the inspections are a success and slow the U.S. down!" Not such a stretch when you think of how some of our own U.S. citizens who are in the public spotlight have tried to torpedo their own president by doing photo ops with Saddam and other Iraquis.

A YouTube page! That's..., something.
Four Color Commentary

#506751 - 01/16/03 04:12 PM Re: "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, and I'll bomb you"
Mark Allen Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Jughead Jones:
Hussein (I don't feel I know the man well enough to be on a first-name basis)

Tell "G.W." I said "Hey!" the next time you seel him. wink

Four Color Commentary

#506752 - 01/16/03 04:15 PM Re: "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, and I'll bomb you"
Haddison Offline

Loc: Fitchburg, WI, USA
One thing's for sure--W's a lot smarter than all the people who think he's stupid.

#506753 - 01/16/03 04:21 PM Re: "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, and I'll bomb you"
S.C. Powers Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
Yet again I state my topic. Suddam WHosane should just give up now. The way Duhbya planned the liberation of Iraq is invincible Almost, Mind you I said almost. He will have to give in sometime. Even though the CIA agents have not yet penatratedd his security wall of thugs and regime, the marine forces will eventually find him.
On the other hand he could be a little wuss and run away like Osama bin Laden to another foreign country and hide like a mole. But the chances of this happening are slim to none, because WHosane is not that kind of Arabic, heh heh. He will stand and fight to protect his cause unlike his friend Bin laden. Note that I am just saying his friend because they are for the same cause, to destroy American of the face of the earth and surrneder to the Arabic ways. I am not saying this will happen, just suggesting. wink In the end we will most likely come out the victor. Oh yes and I have just read that they are putting anti-missile defenses in Israel to protect them.
Now I know your going to ask, why not do this for us, to protect us. Well we are, except for the wrong country, North Korea, the President has issued that intercepter missiles be put in Alaska. Why? Dont ask. Yes the Koreans are more advanced than the Iraqis, but are a lesser threat in this moment. We are currently making amends with them, for whatever the heck they said we did. :rolleyes: Finally all I want to say is that Bush's plan will be effective, no matter in what way. laugh

The Marines' Hymn

Here's health to you and to our Corps
Which we are proud to serve;
In many a strife we've fought for life
And never lost our nerve.
If the Army and the Navy
Ever gaze on Heaven's scenes,
They will find the streets are guarded
By United States Marines.

#506754 - 01/16/03 04:24 PM Re: "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, and I'll bomb you"
Bill Hicks Offline

Loc: Ohio
Quote:
...and wanted to look as if he were prescient in claiming that Saddam still had weapons.

But hasn't this been his claim all along?

#506755 - 01/16/03 04:26 PM Re: "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, and I'll bomb you"
Jughead Jones Offline

Loc: Riverdale USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allen:

Tell "G.W." I said "Hey!" the next time you seel him. wink

I used his full name, Mark, first and middle initials and last name, to differentiate him from his father, whom I mentioned in a previous sentence.

Good thing you read it so carefully.

#506756 - 01/16/03 05:37 PM Re: "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, and I'll bomb you"
gene phillips Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Hicks:

But hasen't this been his claim all along?

Make that "more prescient than his critics ever dreamed."

#506757 - 01/16/03 06:51 PM Re: "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, and I'll bomb you"
Mark Allen Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Jughead Jones:

I used his full name, Mark, first and middle initials and last name, to differentiate him from his father, whom I mentioned in a previous sentence.

Good thing you read it so carefully.

It was just a little jab, hence the wink. Sorry to upset you.

Four Color Commentary

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >