Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#506818 - 01/24/03 03:44 PM Re: "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, and I'll bomb you"
Dan Carroll Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by gene phillips:
Today's paper carried the observation (don't have a link handy) that one motive for Bush's Push for War Right Now is that the winter is apparently a more salutory time for invading Iraq than the much hotter spring & summer. I don't recall that being much of a factor during the Gulf War but that's what the man said.

I don't remember it being trumped up as a big deal, but didn't we invade in January last time? It may have been something the military took into consideration for the Gulf War, but just didn't mention to the public.

#506819 - 01/24/03 03:52 PM Re: "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, and I'll bomb you"
Korvac Offline

Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Of course timing it precisely to allow Bush to coast through the next election with War-time Presidential poll numbers has NOTHING to do with it. On the plus side it didn't work for Daddy, hopefully history will repeat itself.

#506820 - 01/24/03 03:55 PM Re: "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, and I'll bomb you"
Chris Galdieri Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Korvac:
Of course timing it precisely to allow Bush to coast through the next election with War-time Presidential poll numbers has NOTHING to do with it. On the plus side it didn't work for Daddy, hopefully history will repeat itself.

Doesn't that perhaps suggest that the timing then has nothing to do with the 2004 election?

#506821 - 01/24/03 04:20 PM Re: "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, and I'll bomb you"
Korvac Offline

Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
>>>Doesn't that perhaps suggest that the timing then has nothing to do with the 2004 election?<<<

It has everything to do with it. When Thatcher was about to lose big in Britain in the mid-eighties, she concocted the most shamless artificial war scare imaginable to maintain power. Bush SR lost because his domestic policies were so dramatically bad that they out-weighed the short term boost in his poll numbers that the Gulf War brought him. Remember Bush SR's poll numbers were actually HIGHER than the Shrub's are now at the same point in his first term. Bush SR went on to get spanked by Clinton. This time they are trying to time it a little closer to the election to maintain the wartime poll boost long enough to profit from it.

It is a cynical and despicable attempt to use the potential deaths of thousands of Iraqis and American soldiers for political gain.

#506822 - 01/24/03 04:26 PM Re: "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, and I'll bomb you"
Bill Hicks Offline

Loc: Ohio
Quote:
This time they are trying to time it a little closer to the election to maintain the wartime poll boost long enough to profit from it.

But they want to go now and YOU are the one saying they should wait, thereby pushing the war closer to the election. Sorry dude, but this new wrinkle just doesn't add up. You hate Bush so badly that your making shit up as you go along.

It's entertaining though, I'll give you that.

#506823 - 01/24/03 04:35 PM Re: "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, and I'll bomb you"
ChrisW Online   content

Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allen:
I agree Hussein's untrustworthy. At this point, however, with two more nations putting pressure on the U.S. to wait and let inspections "run their course," (I think it was China and Russia, today) I think it really is time to put the brakes on, pull out, and just wait for Saddam to flub-up.

If I'm talking about the same 2 countries you are, that would be France and Germany.

For one thing, it's really really strange to see those two on the same side [almost as much so as France and Britain pre-1914].

For another, when was the last time either of them won a war against anybody but each other?
:rolleyes:

"I think ChrisW is the funniest man in entertainment still alive..."
-- the perceptive Tom Spurgeon

#506824 - 01/24/03 04:37 PM Re: "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, and I'll bomb you"
Dan Carroll Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Hicks:
Sorry dude, but this new wrinkle just doesn't add up.

Yeah it does. If Bush is trying for wartime hero votes, he would want glorious victory shortly before an election. Not grisly news footage of battle.

"Look what I ensured for your grand-children" is better PR than "look where I sent your sons."

#506825 - 01/24/03 04:52 PM Re: "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, and I'll bomb you"
Chris Galdieri Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Korvac:
It has everything to do with it. When Thatcher was about to lose big in Britain in the mid-eighties, she concocted the most shamless artificial war scare imaginable to maintain power. Bush SR lost because his domestic policies were so dramatically bad that they out-weighed the short term boost in his poll numbers that the Gulf War brought him. Remember Bush SR's poll numbers were actually HIGHER than the Shrub's are now at the same point in his first term. Bush SR went on to get spanked by Clinton. This time they are trying to time it a little closer to the election to maintain the wartime poll boost long enough to profit from it.

It is a cynical and despicable attempt to use the potential deaths of thousands of Iraqis and American soldiers for political gain.

Your memory is faulty. The Gulf War started in mid-January 1991; if we attack Iraq, it's likely to be within the next month. The elder Bush's poll ratings started falling a lot longer than a month before the 1992 election; I doubt he would have stayed at 91% approval through the 1992 election had we only waited until February to strike.

CJG

#506826 - 01/24/03 04:54 PM Re: "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, and I'll bomb you"
Chris Galdieri Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW:

If I'm talking about the same 2 countries you are, that would be France and Germany.

For one thing, it's really really strange to see those two on the same side [almost as much so as France and Britain pre-1914].

For another, when was the last time either of them won a war against anybody but each other?
:rolleyes:

Presented more for amusement value than as geopolitical discussion:

[img]http://www.jessicaswell.com/images/axisofweasels.gif[/img]

#506827 - 01/24/03 04:55 PM Re: "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, and I'll bomb you"
Bill Hicks Offline

Loc: Ohio
Well then, I guess the only way he can avoid this particular line of criticism is to get out his time machine and do it last year.

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >