Page 1 of 82 1 2 3 ... 81 82 >
Topic Options
#510024 - 03/21/03 04:00 PM aliens and christianity.
Terminator X Offline

i was thinking today. i believe in god, or rather a creator, mainly b/c existence is just too baffling for me to wrap my head around, but in terms of the christian/biblical sense, jesus and the savior stuff and everything, i'm a bit more skeptical of, though that's not the point. but i was wondering. if god, in the biblical sense or a more scientific creator sense, created the entire universe then that means he created aliens, or beings on other planets (which i personally believe exist. i dont neccessarily believe all of the inbreds who claim UFO sitings and Roswell conspiracy theorists...but all of this is a different story.) so what i wonder is are aliens christians. like, if god deemed humankind worthy of his word, then did he also deem beings in other galaxies worthy of the same thing. and if you dont believe in god/jesus/christianity, would you possibley consider it if some aliens did actually land on the earth, and contact/communication was made and we found out that they too had a similar biblical belief...like if they had a bible that had been "handed down as the word of god" and was pretty much the same as the bible that earth christians believe in. anyway...this was my morning-commute-stuck-in-traffic pondering this morning. just curious as to what some of you might thing.

#510025 - 03/21/03 05:09 PM Re: aliens and christianity.
BANE Offline

Loc: Atlanta,GA
Yes, it's quite possible!

#510026 - 03/21/03 05:24 PM Re: aliens and christianity.
Jimmy Anger Offline

Loc: Winchester, MA, USA
it depends on what christian you ask...some might take the "all non christians go to hell" root and say that aliens aren't chosen or whatever...some christians might say that aliens probably have their own savior...some christians might say there are no aliens...some me's might say this is one of the flaws with organized religion.

#510027 - 03/21/03 06:11 PM Re: aliens and christianity.
MORBO, THE UNDENIABLE Offline

MORBO IS WATCHING YOU, TERMINATOR X.
YOU ARE QUITE THE AGITATOR, AREN'T YOU?

#510028 - 03/21/03 09:15 PM Re: aliens and christianity.
Wil Radcliffe Offline

Loc: Fremont, IN
Terminator, you should read C.S. Lewis' "Space Trilogy." Not only is it a great work of literature, but it addresses some of the questions you ponder. While I'm sure Lewis didn't mean this work of fiction to be considered serious theology, it is a very creative and interesting approach. Lewis delves into the concept of alien life as a pure and unblemished aspect of God's creation, with each planet governed by a particular Arc Angel. Because Earth's Arc Angel, Lucifer, turned on God and corrupted the Earth, we are cut off from the rest of creation to avoid contaminating it.

Very well written, intriguing, and thought-provoking, regardless of one's religious inclinations (or lack thereof.) I highly recommend it!

"In the tradition of Tolkien and Rowling, Wil carves out his own territory in the fantasy genre with Noggle Stones." ~ Ernie Colon

"It's great fun!" ~ Barry Cunningham, The Chicken House

http://www.nogglestones.com

#510029 - 03/21/03 09:47 PM Re: aliens and christianity.
OnceI8aBug Offline

I don't understand life so it must be some stupid story that ignorant people have followed for two millenia. That makes no sense. Think for yourself.

No, you're a genius...really.
I like evilspacerobot.com but Jughead Jones is an uberego.

#510030 - 03/21/03 09:52 PM Re: aliens and christianity.
Mr. Breeze Offline

Loc: the icy tundra of ohio
It is important to understand that there is no chance that aliens would have human ideaologies. It's just not possible.

Religious beliefs are merely human concepts.

#510031 - 03/21/03 11:15 PM Re: aliens and christianity.
jeaoure Offline

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by breezeagogo:
It is important to understand that there is no chance that aliens would have human ideaologies. It's just not possible.

Religious beliefs are merely human concepts.

And you know this how...?

#510032 - 03/21/03 11:23 PM Re: aliens and christianity.
jeaoure Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by OnceI8aBug:
I don't understand life so it must be some stupid story that ignorant people have followed for two millenia. That makes no sense. Think for yourself.

You know, this post surprised me, Bug. I've read quite a few insightful things from you that have been, I thought, interesting points to ponder. Up to now, you've seemed to me to be a pretty thoughtful person, open to considering the many variables of big issues.

Now, maybe I'm just reading this post completely wrong... and forgive me if that's the case, but it smacks of bitter, ignorant, narrow thinking. As a person whose faith in Christ is something very real and very personally significant, I can't say that I'm angered by what you say, because what would be the point? But I am saddened. Is this truly how you feel?

#510033 - 03/21/03 11:31 PM Re: aliens and christianity.
jeaoure Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Anger:
it depends on what christian you ask...some might take the "all non christians go to hell" root and say that aliens aren't chosen or whatever...some christians might say that aliens probably have their own savior...some christians might say there are no aliens...some me's might say this is one of the flaws with organized religion.

The options aren't necessarily limited to these. I've given the matter some thought. If there truly is a God and Jesus is truly the human incarnation of God's Son, is it utterly unreasonable to consider that (if there had been life on Mars, for example) God's Son might have made himself incarnate as a Martian in order to extend to Marians the grace and forgiveness of God (which may be what you were implying by aliens having "their own savior")? Or is it possible that those Martians don't require forgiveness because they haven't "fallen" like the human race has?

I think it's entirely reasonable to consider that there may be other intelligent life in the universe and I don't think this possibility contradicts anything in the Bible... mainly because the Bible doesn't give any indication on the matter one way or the other.

Page 1 of 82 1 2 3 ... 81 82 >