Page 2 of 82 < 1 2 3 4 ... 81 82 >
Topic Options
#510034 - 03/21/03 11:33 PM Re: aliens and christianity.
Mr. Breeze Offline

Loc: the icy tundra of ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by jeaoure:

And you know this how...?

Studying psychology, anthropology and drawing my own conclusions about the world or "reality" we live in.

wasn't trying to offend you or anybody.

#510035 - 03/21/03 11:36 PM Re: aliens and christianity.
jeaoure Offline

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by breezeagogo:

Studying psychology, anthropology and drawing my own conclusions about the world or "reality" we live in.

wasn't trying to offend you or anybody.

No offense taken. But, you claimed "it's just not possible" and that's where I'd take issue. It is obviously very possible and the most distinct example of this is the human race.

#510036 - 03/21/03 11:41 PM Re: aliens and christianity.
MightyQuin Online   content

Loc: Tallahassee,FL
Quote:
Originally posted by breezeagogo:
It is important to understand that there is no chance that aliens would have human ideaologies. It's just not possible.

Religious beliefs are merely human concepts.

My bet is just the opposite. It seems likely certain concepts are universal to any sufficiently intelligent species,terrestial or otherwise. They (aliens) would think about the possibility of an animate Creator probably before they considered an inanimate force for creation as an extrapolation of themselves,but much greater. Any social species would institutionalize the concept--a religion,and,if they dicovered writing,there's your book of religious beliefs being handed down. Now,the question is: would the turban-wearing bugs of Antares IV try to kill off the ones with no turbans?

#510037 - 03/21/03 11:47 PM Re: aliens and christianity.
MightyQuin Online   content

Loc: Tallahassee,FL
Oh yeah,I forgot: Christianity. What better way to bring a connection between the Creator (who no one ever really comes in contact with)to the believers than to have Him made into alien flesh? We've had many God-made-man religions on this planet besides Christianity,greek demigods like Hercules immediately come to mind, who had his own set of devout followers.

#510038 - 03/22/03 12:06 PM Re: aliens and christianity.
artthreat Offline

Loc: TX
Interesting...
As once part of a pastoral team & bible college, blah, blah blah...
In my observations...most christian authors and theologins deny the existance of any kind of life outside of humans and spirits....
BUT, whats the harm...it stirs conversation..
AND
..Mormons DO believe in aliens & life on other planets...
I think it all must revole around the concept of 'free will' given to intelligent life.

#510039 - 03/22/03 05:19 PM Re: aliens and christianity.
BANE Offline

Loc: Atlanta,GA
Quote:
Because Earth's Arc Angel, Lucifer, turned on God and corrupted the Earth, we are cut off from the rest of creation to avoid contaminating it.

Actually, nowhere in the Bible is Satan mentioned as the Archangel. Only Micheal, who is Jesus.

#510040 - 03/22/03 07:06 PM Re: aliens and christianity.
Son of Thunder Offline

Loc: Hamilton, Ontario
Quote:
Originally posted by BANE:

Actually, nowhere in the Bible is Satan mentioned as the Archangel.

I believe it was made clear in Wil's post that this was the plot of a CS Lewis NOVEL. Novel. As in "a story not meant to be literally true."

I have read Lewis' space trilogy (of NOVELS), and there is a lot of stuff in there that is not mentioned in the Bible. I've also been a fan of his Narnia series since I was a kid, but the idea of parallel universes populated by talking animals is also not mentioned in the Bible.

I once wrote a NOVEL (remember, "not meant to be literally true") in which a demonic spirit possesses a spaceship's main computer. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that possessed spaceships are also not mentioned in the Bible.

"I recommend that the Statue of Liberty on the East Coast be supplemented by a Statue of Responsibility on the West Coast." -Viktor Frankl

#510041 - 03/22/03 07:41 PM Re: aliens and christianity.
BANE Offline

Loc: Atlanta,GA
I was just pointing out a fact...I don't read Mr. Lewis nor do I want to.

#510042 - 03/23/03 01:33 PM Re: aliens and christianity.
OnceI8aBug Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jeaoure:

You know, this post surprised me, Bug. I've read quite a few insightful things from you that have been, I thought, interesting points to ponder. Up to now, you've seemed to me to be a pretty thoughtful person, open to considering the many variables of big issues.

Now, maybe I'm just reading this post completely wrong... and forgive me if that's the case, but it smacks of bitter, ignorant, narrow thinking. As a person whose faith in Christ is something very real and very personally significant, I can't say that I'm angered by what you say, because what would be the point? But I am saddened. Is this truly how you feel?

Well I am glad you enjoyed my past posts. Here is my major problem- When you disagree with me I am suddenly not so interesting. Hmm? In my experience there are two things that people can not stand to have challenged. Sexuallity/gender and faith.

Granted, what I said was short and caustic but I think you got the point that I am agnostic. I usually get more specific about my ideas but they usually lead to me getting into a pointless argument with bigoted zealots. Arguing with such people is like arguing with a parrot- they have spouts of wisdom memorized and use them instead of actual thought.

But I will give you the benefit of the doubt. Maybe you are intelligent and think for yourself. That is not something I can really judge from one post. If you would like to talk more about this away from the void of a comic book message board.

No, you're a genius...really.
I like evilspacerobot.com but Jughead Jones is an uberego.

#510043 - 03/23/03 01:43 PM Re: aliens and christianity.
Jughead Jones Offline

Loc: Riverdale USA
Quote:
Originally posted by OnceI8aBug:
Granted, what I said was short and caustic but I think you got the point that I am agnostic. I usually get more specific about my ideas but they usually lead to me getting into a pointless argument with bigoted zealots. Arguing with such people is like arguing with a parrot- they have spouts of wisdom memorized and use them instead of actual thought.

Hey kettle! You're black!

Love,

OnceI8aBug

Page 2 of 82 < 1 2 3 4 ... 81 82 >